Tech Garmin 830?

Karl

Faster than molasses
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
My second Wahoo Bolt in three years has now gone FUBAR. When it worked, it was great. But, unfortunately, build quality doesn't seem up to snuff. Replacing computers after only 1.5 years' use is, IMO, not reasonable. So, looks like I'm going back to Garmin.

I have just about settled on the Garmin Edge 830. The touch screen issues that plagued the 820 seem to have been sorted out, and one of my biggest complaints about the old Garmins was that doing simple things (zoom in or out) required lots of button pushing. So, before I pull the trigger on a new unit, if anyone has any personal experience with the 830, good or bad, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Also, the 830j is 57,000 yen with strap from Amazon, JN, but 45,000 w/o strap for 830 'non-j' version. I understand that the 830j would deal with kanji better, come pre-loaded with area maps, and be easier to return if there are any problems. Worth the extra 12,000 yen?

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
You can load other maps onto your Garmin, so you don't need the Japanese version. Would the non-J version be an import? The local Japanese distributors are in my experience very touchy when you buy equipment abroad … even if you have done so before moving to Japan.

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Also, the 830j is 57,000 yen with strap from Amazon, JN, but 45,000 w/o strap for 830 'non-j' version. I understand that the 830j would deal with kanji better, come pre-loaded with area maps, and be easier to return if there are any problems. Worth the extra 12,000 yen?
I had always bought European versions of Garmins [♩eTrex, I've had a few...] until my Edge 1000 developed problems the day before a big tour, so I had to high-tail it to Y's Road and pay full buck for an Edge 1000J. Hoping not to jinx it... it's been fine for several years now. And I managed to get the old one working again - a friend is borrowing it.

Even on the Edge 1000J, I still use the UpUpDown maps (not updated since 2012) on a microSD card as I find them easiest to read and follow though some new roads are missing. They have so many POI including convenience stores, most of which are still correct. I've only used the Japanese map a couple of times - the kanji are too small for me to see clearly without reading glasses, and I almost always have other navigation options available via iPhone.

Reactions: Kangaeroo and Karl

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
I had always bought European versions of Garmins [♩eTrex, I've had a few...] until my Edge 1000 developed problems the day before a big tour, so I had to high-tail it to Y's Road and pay full buck for an Edge 1000J. Hoping not to jinx it... it's been fine for several years now. And I managed to get the old one working again - a friend is borrowing it.
Out of curiosity: did you buy a 1000J because that was what was available, or because you had better kanji compatibility?

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Tokyo
@Karl - for routes not loading on Wahoo Bolt. Try (if you haven't thrown it out the window already) disconnecting from your source of routing and then reconnect. I had problems before and this fixed it.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
Out of curiosity: what exactly isn't working for you with the Bolt? Do you have hardware or software problems? In case you “just” have problems using maps and such, I'd be interested in the unit. PM me if you want to sell it.

Karl

Faster than molasses
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
@Karl - for routes not loading on Wahoo Bolt. Try (if you haven't thrown it out the window already) disconnecting from your source of routing and then reconnect. I had problems before and this fixed it.
Tried that, but no luck.

FWIW, Wahoo CS got back to me about the sync problem and suggested the same thing (plus checking my wifi connections... which I'd also already done). Also, the rubber gaskets that cover the side buttons were coming off and I've had them held on by electrical tape for the past several months. As of a couple days ago, the screen is once again totally FUBAR. The backlight comes on but no data is displayed. Just a bright blank screen. Was hoping Wahoo CS would step up for a replacement (this would be the third unit for me), but it has been 4 days since I updated the ticket and still no word. I'm just glad it didn't break completely until after the holiday.

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
I'm using the old school speedometer on both of my bikes. some german brand no one ever heard of. it gives you all the data related to speed, distance, cadence, HR, elevation (apparently has a barometer too), gradient etc. a glorified calculator on steroids. but it has never failed me and is as reliable now as it was about 4 years ago I got it. I change its battery once every year or more and am totally hassle free in between. of course, it does not do any WiFi or GPS connectivity, that's what my phone is for... just chiming in

Reactions: Karl and Kangaeroo

Karl

Faster than molasses
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
..... it does not do any WiFi or GPS connectivity, that's what my phone is for... just chiming in
Being directionally-challenged, like I am, GPS is a must, especially on the bizarre routes I plan. Using my phone for GPS tends to have me running out of battery pretty quickly, plus, using the phone in rainy conditions isn't practical, IMO. I do use the phone for getting the big picture sometimes, but mostly it is my backup.

Reactions: Kangaeroo

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Tokyo
@Karl - sounds like your wahoo is bust but one other thing that I have done to force routes to work when they don't download properly is to use the phone to select the route, this then sends the route to the wahoo device (at least in my limited experience). Must try routes again. I haven't used one in a while.

Karl

Faster than molasses
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
Yep. Did that too. Managed to use it over the holidays by selecting rides from the app and transferring them manually. But now the screen is TU so the unit is totally unusable now.

• Sad
Reactions: OreoCookie

Karl

Faster than molasses
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
Saw that one. Also DC Rainmaker's reviews are really good.

Kinda curious how people are getting along with their computers. When they work, they are great, but as they get more complex, seems like they don't last as long, or at least that has been my experience. I'm getting about two to three years out of them before they break down. Wahoo has generally been better on software but NSG on hardware build quality. Garmin, in my experience, has the opposite issue. Neither one is great shakes on CS but Wahoo has a slight 'edge' there.

So, are most of you getting more than two or three years use out of your gps computers?

sean-e

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2019
大田区
Quite happy with my Nokia Brick Phone of cycling computers, the Garmin 800. Bought it in refurbished condition for a steal at 150 dollarydoos, has been working for 3 years.Completely waterproof (left on touring bicycle outside for weeks in rain), ANT+ works with the powermeter, free GPS maps from OpenStreetMaps easy to zoom around on, and the ancient touchscreen technology works with gloves/rain.

Downside is the potato microprocessor by modern standards. Trying to use the navigation-on-the-fly in a crowded city like Tokyo is useless (it thinks for about 10 minutes and then dies). No bluetooth so you can't sync with your phone. So I always pre-download routes from RideWithGps over USB.

Now that I've said nice things about it, I'm sure it will catch fire.

Reactions: Karl