What's new

Garmin 800

disappointed

On the subject of Garmin Edge 800, I continue to be disappointed most of all because of the strongly-reduced battery life when used in combination with navigating map software (I discovered that simply displaying the map - without even navigating and no backlighting - drains a lot of energy out of the battery). Yesterday, after 185km and only about 7 hours into my ride, I got the dreaded LOW BATTERY warning so in order not to lose all my data (like a couple weeks ago:mad:), I stopped the timer and shut down the device several times - I also virtually shut down the display by setting the contrast to zero...

My feeling is that there is still a lot of improvement needed for this kind of device. This kind of navigator can surely be helpful for a max. 3-hour ride navigating to some new location in an urban environment but for full-day rides out in the countryside, the device in navigation mode is of little assistance; or worse, it can become a source of irritation:(. I regret the investment I made.

I agree that that can be a bit disappointing. That being said, based upon my limited experience (twice) and what I've read, there is still quite a bit of life in the 800 even after you get the low battery warning.

remaining life....

...roughly 30 minutes the other day in my case (case-by-case of course depending on contrast and other settings). One would expect though that after flashing the warning, the device automatically saves the route which IT DOES NOT! Result: if one does not stop the timer and shut down the device before it goes blank, there will be no records of the ride at all...(I understand this was already an issue in previous editions in the Garmin Edge series)

I agree that that can be a bit disappointing. That being said, based upon my limited experience (twice) and what I've read, there is still quite a bit of life in the 800 even after you get the low battery warning.

Wow, interesting. That was definitely not my experience. Mine continued for 3+ hours. Maybe it's the cold. That's known to dramatically reduce battery life.

As for the saving, I'd agree, that is definitely not cool. It sounds like something that could be fixed via firmware though.

...roughly 30 minutes the other day in my case (case-by-case of course depending on contrast and other settings). One would expect though that after flashing the warning, the device automatically saves the route which IT DOES NOT! Result: if one does not stop the timer and shut down the device before it goes blank, there will be no records of the ride at all...(I understand this was already an issue in previous editions in the Garmin Edge series)

TOM, I noticed on your blog you mentioned that Ludwig had given some battery-preserving tips. Though it seems they didn't seem to help you this time, would it be possible to let us know what they are?
:)

It might be that the LiPo battery is faullty or possibly not fully charged to 100% capacity when first used (This sets the battery memory at a lower bench mark)

I suggest you contact Garmin and let them know that the battery is not performing but as Yamabushi states battery life in very cold or very hot climates seriously reduces the charge life of a battery.

Also there are 3rd party replacements for batteries and much better performing ones as well. I replaced the LiPo to a cold charge PiPo battery which hold a much longer charge than the LiPo batteriers and also a lot more stable.

TOM, I noticed on your blog you mentioned that Ludwig had given some battery-preserving tips. Though it seems they didn't seem to help you this time, would it be possible to let us know what they are?
:)

His advice was basically to follow a pre-loaded track "by eye" without letting the device do the guiding turn-by-turn (i.e. you do the navigating relying on your own sense of direction, not the device). Other tips were to lower screen contrast and shorten backlight time. To disengage the "Lock on Road" automatic pilot function and preventing the device from recalculating the route everytime you skip or take a wrong turn (it can take quite long before 100% is reached!) has considerably lengthened battery life I admit but still a far cry from fifteen hours!

Garmin claims a battery life of 15 hours when in "typical use" (what exactly is typical?)...I find this claim to be incorrect and misleading if the device (at least in my case) produces a LOW BATTERY warning only 7 or 8 hours into the ride and then dies on me half an hour later (without saving any ride data) even when disengaging standard features like "on road for time" or "on road for distance" to a saved location. Virtual partner is of course out of question. I also turned off features like audible alerts/tones and tried to avoid showing the map screen for extended lengths of time.

...in other words, in the process of trying to save battery life, the Edge 800 gets stripped down to an Edge 500! Should have stuck to 500 and saved my money for a future, more powerful (in terms of battery life) navigator.

Don't get me wrong though; I'm not trying to denounce Edge 800...it remains a sexy and very useful tool :cool: for cyclists that can only afford to do half-day rides.

This is not at all my experience with the Edge 705. I have never run out of battery* (and have ridden up to 13 hours, sometimes even with the backlight switched on continuously for an hour or so in the dark).

So I can only suspect that the 800 turns on the back light very frequently, for some reason. I would try to find out why this is the case. And in the meantime, set the back light to zero during daytime - at least on the 705 it isn't really needed anyhow.

It is not really conceivable that anything else is draining the battery so fast. Moving the (detailed) map does not consume much processing power, and on the 705 one can do this all-day long without any issues.

* The only exception being when I tested how long the battery would last by leaving the device on after the ride. Eventually it crashed and I lost all the ride data...

erm..... you talking to the guy that stripped down smashed iPhones and Blackberry units, replaced the touch glass with polycarbon and other little upgrades so a battery swap on the Garmin was a peice of piss.

I would say if you aren't technically minded then its a 2 hour job to do it right. Technical savy then maybe 1 hour for the first time.

The only reason I did this to my Garmin 705 was because the battery died on me (lost its memory and wouldn't charge) and also becasue I race in countries like Africa I needed to make sure that the unit would record data over several days without a place to charge it.

:D talking of invasive surgery...sounds extremely challenging to me James! If I can not remedy the problem, I may have to call on your surgeon skills and do the bypass operation for me.

erm..... you talking to the guy that stripped down smashed iPhones and Blackberry units, replaced the touch glass with polycarbon and other little upgrades so a battery swap on the Garmin was a peice of piss.

I would say if you aren't technically minded then its a 2 hour job to do it right. Technical savy then maybe 1 hour for the first time.

The only reason I did this to my Garmin 705 was because the battery died on me (lost its memory and wouldn't charge) and also becasue I race in countries like Africa I needed to make sure that the unit would record data over several days without a place to charge it.

Tom we have a profession team of staff awaitting your needs.

Chief Surgeon Taiga will be leading the operation.

28583389575159246547859.jpg

Taiga Usami after saving the life of a Tonka Truck

Hilarious and adorable !!! I feel like I will be in trusted hands :D

:D talking of invasive surgery...sounds extremely challenging to me James! If I can not remedy the problem, I may have to call on your surgeon skills and do the bypass operation for me.

Perhaps a group session?

Ok I need to first check that 3rd parties have made a Garmin 800 battery or if one of the custom battery makers can build one that is affordable.

These attery packs are the same as emergency loaders for mobile phones. Either with another li-po battery in them that then transfers it's charge to the Garmin of uses standard Alkenline batteries.

I checked over the thread on the official Garmin website and lots of incorrect info. The li-po battery upgrade actually gave 6 hours more charge than the official battery. It's also manufactured to a very high level of quality assurance.

I've had a custom iphone battery made in Akihabara by "Super Radi-Con" who specailise in making batteries for RC models, specifically RC helicopters that need small light weight but power house of a battery.

As for warranty your Garmin only comes with a 1 year warranty on the unit and they actually charge for battery replacement I do beleive.

Back
Top Bottom