What's new

Garmin 800

It's a scary list - why can't they address these issues in their first release?

Same thing when you look at the list of improvements of version 3.30 for the Edge 705 just released very recently.

If only they had more serious competition...

Yep, it seems to be the way of the world these days, release unfinished products to the market and then try to fix them with firmware updates after the fact.

Just wondering about fellows who switched to an 800 from another Garmin device ~ did you have to buy a new UpUpDown map, or did your older one work on the 800?

Ok, technically you legally will need to buy a new set of maps as the licence is to one specific unit only.

However you can contact the owner of the company and explain that you have replaced the unit for one reason or another and that you require a new set of maps licensed to the new unit ID. I think it would be prudent to delete the original maps off the old unit as from what I understand upupdown is a one man show.

Last summer my Garmin 750 died and I had to replace it with a new 705 unit and they happily obliged.

It's a scary list - why can't they address these issues in their first release?

Same thing when you look at the list of improvements of version 3.30 for the Edge 705 just released very recently.

If only they had more serious competition...

Yep, it seems to be the way of the world these days, release unfinished products to the market and then try to fix them with firmware updates after the fact.

The counter argument to this though is that they are improving it and that many of the issues being fixed might never have shown up in the testing before release, especailly when a lot of the factors could only ever be brought to light by thousands of hours in the wild, riding and without us the end users being the beta testers as such the price of the unit would be alot higher.

The counter argument to this though is that they are improving it and that many of the issues being fixed might never have shown up in the testing before release, especailly when a lot of the factors could only ever be brought to light by thousands of hours in the wild, riding and without us the end users being the beta testers as such the price of the unit would be alot higher.

True, true! I guess the trick is determining how "finished" the product needs to be in order to start shipping it. Many manufacturers seem to be moving that point to a less and less "finished" state.

True, true! I guess the trick is determining how "finished" the product needs to be in order to start shipping it. Many manufacturers seem to be moving that point to a less and less "finished" state.

Yes, including some producing pretty mission-critical equipment...

Anyway, a good software manufacturer can do most testing before release, and will use beta releases to test with real users - without having anyone buy unfinished products.

Just to inform aqs well the new update is also for the follwing:

Garmin 800
Garmin 750
Garmin 500

I now have Torque readings for my powertap! Which means I can do STOMP testing! :D

Sigh .... Edge came from Wiggle (I had to pay the postman ¥1200). Updated to latest firmware. After that, couldn't get it to mount in disk mode on Mac. Big sigh ... Went to Garmin forums, and it seems to be quite widespread.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=15033&page=4

The only the that works (for me) is to hold lap/reset while plugging in USB cable, and keep it held until the Garmin 'disk' mounts on the desktop.

On another note .... is everyone else's rubber usb port cover a bugger to set in place. A bit hit and miss on mine, and takes a few tries to get it firmly in place.

Rubber cover

is everyone else's rubber usb port cover a bugger to set in place. A bit hit and miss on mine, and takes a few tries to get it firmly in place.

surely needs to be improved although it is already getting a little better than the Edge 500 (never use your Edge 500 in the rain -even misty rain :mad:!!). Garmin engineers should take a good look at how well Japanese camera makers manage to seal those ports watertight...

Never had an issue with my 750 or my 500. Either I am very luck or you guys need to cut back on the coffee. :D

Mine is the same. It gets easier after a while though...

Another sigh ....

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=14086&highlight=rubber

I am worried about the weather-proofing though. :mad:

Just noticed this in the Garmin store. Hmmmm ....

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=88841

cf-lg.jpg

not sure if the rubber bumper is for weather proofing or for drop protection???

Never had an issue with my 750 or my 500. Either I am very luck or you guys need to cut back on the coffee. :D

Except that yours once failed completely and would not start any more. And if I recall correctly, this was after a ride in the rain...

I always carry clear wrapping with me and put that over my two cycling computers (Ciclo and Edge) when there is rain. Both are supposedly water-proof, but in reality they are not, at least not for ever.

Good bumper protection. Messes with your elevation- although you can modify it so it doesn't cover the opening to the sensor.

Another sigh ....

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=14086&highlight=rubber

I am worried about the weather-proofing though. :mad:

Just noticed this in the Garmin store. Hmmmm ....

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=88841

cf-lg.jpg

Ping username: Saeedi on Garmin Forums. He's a crack at the 800 and the mac. I've never had any issues with the mounting though I am using 10.6.6. As far as the rubber port cover is concerned, when you close it make sure the usb insert fits into usb port. Then push it closed (and then put some point pressure where the port itself is located). If you don't it'll pop back out.

Updated to latest firmware. After that, couldn't get it to mount in disk mode on Mac. Big sigh ... Went to Garmin forums, and it seems to be quite widespread.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=15033&page=4

The only the that works (for me) is to hold lap/reset while plugging in USB cable, and keep it held until the Garmin 'disk' mounts on the desktop.

On another note .... is everyone else's rubber usb port cover a bugger to set in place. A bit hit and miss on mine, and takes a few tries to get it firmly in place.

Back
Top Bottom