What's new

Garmin 800

japanviking

Speeding Up
Jul 13, 2010
Thinking about buying a bicycle GPS from europe.
I am interested in other peoples experiences about how to get the Japanese map data installed in the unit.

If I would buy the Garmin mapdata on a sd card here in Japan. will it work ok?

/Andreas

If I would buy the Garmin mapdata on a sd card here in Japan. will it work ok?
If you buy the MapSource maps of Japan you will see the roads, rivers, POI etc., but no place names because they're all in Japanese and the European/US Garmin model doesn't read Japanese. (The characters will appear as dots ・・・・)

If you buy the UpUpDown map of Japan, it will work perfectly with all place names etc. in English. However there is considerably less detail available on this map so very small roads and tracks will be missing, and far fewer place names and labels.

(Data size comparison: MapSource 1.6GB, UpUpDown 846MB)

Version 3 of UpUpDown map is far superior to Version 2, but it's still limited compared to the MapSource maps.

Has anyone used the Garmin 800 with Linux as the main computer OS, and Windows virtualised in Virtualbox?

Has anyone used the Garmin 800 with Linux as the main computer OS, and Windows virtualised in Virtualbox?

Hey Owen I have the same setup, but don't know how vbox supports USB - all you really need is to copy your routes to the device, not sure about the other way around. Never tried to copy workouts from my 605 after rides.I haven't used Garmin specific software - just use it as USB memory drive.

oh shi..., i guess i also n33d t0 g37 l41d, lol :)

No, Owen. Of course they haven't. u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

Haha!

Hey Owen I have the same setup, but don't know how vbox supports USB - all you really need is to copy your routes to the device, not sure about the other way around. Never tried to copy workouts from my 605 after rides.I haven't used Garmin specific software - just use it as USB memory drive.

oh shi..., i guess i also n33d t0 g37 l41d, lol :)

VBox is fine with USB as long as you activate the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso; the only problems I have found are with PCMCIA cards not recognising when hot-plugged, but you can get around that by finding the MAC address in a terminal with lspci, and routing that inside VBox. You have to do it manually every time which is a bum-ache, but it is workable. I have written a script for it, if anyone is interested (I know you are, Mike.)

Well, when I get my Garmin 800, you can all rest assured that I will be sorting it out for Linux. A massive relief for you all, I know...

Version 3 of UpUpDown map is far superior to Version 2, but it's still limited compared to the MapSource maps.

I have both v2 and v3 from UpUpDown and now use v3 on my Garmin Edge 705 on every ride. I don't have Japanese language Garmin maps, so can't compare, but find v3 (in the version with 10m topo) really pretty good and I'm not sure what more significant detail the Japanese language version could add. True, not every bike path (Tamagawa) or unpaved rindo is on the map, but most actually are. Even many hiking paths are. The topo lines are incredibly helpful in the mountains. In fact, the details are so many that it takes the unit a few seconds to display maps in the highest resolution in medium zoom. Conbinis are also indicated - very useful at times.

Auto-routing does not work as well as one would like with these maps. In bicycle mode, too many unnecessarily small side roads/rindos/paths are chosen, sometimes even a hiking trail. In car mode, you end up on big roads and miss the side roads/rindos when they would actually be nice. But this problem is not unique to these maps - I've experienced the same in Austria with a different set of maps. I no longer use the routing functions and instead create a track with mapmyride before the ride and upload it to the device, and let it be displayed on the map without route prompting. This works well.

My only other gripe is that it is harder to read English place names on the map when kanji would be much shorter and easier to grasp (at least for me), and that some place names are transcribed wrongly (e.g. Hanbara-goe becomes Hanbarakoshi, or Ooyama [Kanagawa-ken] Daisen [which is correct elsewhere], etc.)

The map price is not cheap, but with all the exploring I do, it has certainly been worth paying.

Cheers, Ludwig

find v3 (in the version with 10m topo) really pretty good

This is a significant advantage of the v3 UpUpDown English map; both road and topo are available on one map. In Japanese you have to get both City Navigator and 10M Topo; almost twice the price. (The Japanese MapSource Topo map doesn't do turn-by-turn navigation.)

I'm not sure what more significant detail the Japanese language version could add.
Basically every side street, every track, every nuanced twist of the on/off ramps of expressways, and a massive database of addresses down to the banchi level. The biking/hiking GPS units don't make the most of these, but the same software can be used in a full-on car navigation system.[/QUOTE]

Auto-routing does not work as well as one would like with these maps.
You can say that again. In riding from Kawasaki to Hashimoto a couple of weeks ago, Michiko (my trusty but fickle eTrex) took me up a ladder. A LADDER!

instead create a track with mapmyride before the ride and upload it to the device, and let it be displayed on the map without route prompting. This works well.
It works better. But the Google Maps routing algorithms are not perfect. This method has tried to drop me over a 30m cliff, and staircases are a regular feature.

some place names are transcribed wrongly
Well we can see different transcriptions on official roadsigns going to the same place (e.g. Daikanyama in Hakone) so there's some general blurring of the correct pronunciation of place names to start with.

I say go for it! I will be getting an 800 and the v3 map as soon as I can afford them or persuade someone else to pay for them!

--HF Mike--

I use Garmin map source to plot my rides as you can use the upupdown maps to go by. I used this to plot the course I would ride/race for the Tokyo-Itoigawa.

Auto routing I've never had an issue with, one way to speed things up is to only install the map section you are riding also there are several settings that need to be selected to keep you off the expressways and hiking paths.

I also find that doing routing while out on the road in steps rather than in one go helps speed up the process and also stop any of the craziness you get sometimes.

Love the garmin 750 and 500!!

Garmin Edge 800

Great bike computer from Garmmin, but you still have to come off half of it's MSRP to get the maps to go with it. I would sit back for a few months until the craze cools off to purchase the Edge 800. I am usually the one to jump on it when it's 1st released and then a few months down the road, the price is substantially slashed 25% or less. I am going to stay with my Edge 705 for a couple more years.

prone to scratches

nice gadget this Garmin 800 - still learning how to navigate with it.

One little word of warning to prospective owners...the touchscreen gets easily scratched :mad: (I should have known!)

The other day, I put the device into my back pocket while shopping at some combini and the touchscreen must have rubbed against my camera...result: scratches all over...:(

Make sure to stick a sheet of protective film onto the touchscreen....

nice gadget this Garmin 800 - still learning how to navigate with it.

One little word of warning to prospective owners...the touchscreen gets easily scratched :mad: (I should have known!)

The other day, I put the device into my back pocket while shopping at some combini and the touchscreen must have rubbed against my camera...result: scratches all over...:(

Make sure to stick a sheet of protective film onto the touchscreen....

Tom all is not lost! You can first try diluted isopropyl alcohol (50/50 with water) with a micro fiber cleaning cloth.

Dip your Micro Fiber cloth into the solution and begin to gently rub the scratch on the minitor in a circular motion. Do not rub too hard, as friction from the Micro Fiber cloth can make the scratch worse. Continue to use a circular motion while keeping the Micro Fiber cloth damp with your Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water solution.

The scratch should begin to disappear as the Isopropyl Alcohol in your cleaning solution evaporates. If the scratch does not begin to disappear or becomes worse - STOP! as you will need to use a different method.

I know Tokyo Hands sells a Magic Cloth..... these are very good and actually work on removing scratches if the above method doesn't work.

Thank you James, very thoughtful as always. As a matter of fact, I tried that very method (I am a camera buff and have those liquids & magic cloth ready at hand) but unfortunately they were to no avail...seems like these ecran/pantalla tactile touchscreens are a lot more sensitive than camera lenses/filters. I should've known better....:( :eek:

Tom all is not lost! You can first try diluted isopropyl alcohol (50/50 with water) with a micro fiber cleaning cloth.

Dip your Micro Fiber cloth into the solution and begin to gently rub the scratch on the minitor in a circular motion. Do not rub too hard, as friction from the Micro Fiber cloth can make the scratch worse. Continue to use a circular motion while keeping the Micro Fiber cloth damp with your Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water solution.

The scratch should begin to disappear as the Isopropyl Alcohol in your cleaning solution evaporates. If the scratch does not begin to disappear or becomes worse - STOP! as you will need to use a different method.

I know Tokyo Hands sells a Magic Cloth..... these are very good and actually work on removing scratches if the above method doesn't work.

Thats a real shame! I did the same thing to my PSP when I first got it.

You could try wiping some vasiline over the scratchs then wiping it gently in the direction of the scratches. Then place the protective sheet on the screen..... it did the trick on my PSP.

will try that vasiline trick James...you are such a genius, :cool: reallly are!!

PS: found the right size protective sheet at my local-hyaku-en-shop: for Edge 800 folks, go with 40 X 68mm - the perfect size (105円)....

Thats a real shame! I did the same thing to my PSP when I first got it.

You could try wiping some vasiline over the scratchs then wiping it gently in the direction of the scratches. Then place the protective sheet on the screen..... it did the trick on my PSP.

There's a new firmware update available as of today, version 2.10. I already tried it out this evening and it seems to have fixed the issue I was having following preplanned courses.

Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.10:

* Improved Auto Pause behavior.
* Corrected issues that could cause incorrect speeds to be recorded.
* Improved auto wheel calibration especially for PowerTap power meters.
* Added a torque reading to the calibration page for Powertap power meters.
* Removed DeleteFiles folder.
* Allow the device to operate in normal mode with external power.
* Corrected issues that could corrupt activity files which would not allow them to be uploaded to Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Center.
* Improved keyboard layout, input, and design.
* Made improvements to the elevation profile.
* Added an activity reset reminder.
* Improved how the device responds when the screen has been locked.
* Added a factory default reset in MENU -> Settings -> System -> Initial Setup.
* Added the ability to view details for an activity that has not been reset.
* Data fields should now report correct time and distance while navigating.
* Corrected issues caused by removing an SD card while navigating.
* Corrected Auto Scroll issues.
* Corrected issues drawing the current activity on raster maps.
* Made improvements to the Virtual Partner.
* Added memory full warning message.
* Corrected issue that could prevent activities from being able to be deleted.
* Route recalculation can now be turned off in MENU -> Settings -> System -> Routing -> Recalculate.
* Added a day/night color mode setting in MENU -> Settings -> System -> Display -> Color Mode.
* Sensor settings will now be correctly maintained when merging FIT setting and sport files.
* Corrected issues with weight scale data recording and communication.
* Corrected issue that could cause lap calories to be reset after a power cycle.
* Corrected issue that could cause workouts, courses, and locations to not be displayed in their respective lists.
* Corrected issue that could cause data field changes on the map or elevation training pages to not be saved.
* Lap markers in a course will now be recorded correctly while following the course.

Back
Top Bottom