What's new

Garmin 800 Issues

aidenlair

Warming-Up
May 3, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a Garmin 800 while back in the US and have had no success acquiring satelites here in Tokyo. Do I need to buy additional software and maps to activate? If so, any recommendations on the best maps to purchase? I road bike and live in Hiroo.

Thanks!

Tim

I just purchased a Garmin 800 while back in the US and have had no success acquiring satelites here in Tokyo. Do I need to buy additional software and maps to activate? If so, any recommendations on the best maps to purchase? I road bike and live in Hiroo.
Several of us have 800s and I don't recall anyone failing to acquire satellites. Most of us got them from the UK/Europe.

The preinstalled base map you got with your US unit won't be much use in Japan. The best option is the map of Japan from UpUpDown. It's not perfect, but it's in English so will work with your US unit.

However, it should still pick up satellites and record your data even without a map installed. This can take several minutes, depending on your view of the sky etc., and especially if you're several hundred kilometers away from where it last got a fix. If that's not happening at all it's possible you have a faulty/damaged unit - hope you kept the receipt.

The Edge 800 has several shortcomings, and we tend to discuss them on this thread.

--Mike--

First time sat aquisition took a VERY LONG TIME for my 800. I think my UK based unit took 3 attempts and close to 30 minutes first time. After that, its 15-30 secs.

As for maps - yes, the maps you probably want are from Up Up Down (UUD). Look up a thread for Garmin 705 and there's ton of text on on non Japanese garmins and using locally purchased maps.

Good luck

Same for my UK sourced unit. I had almost given up hope by the time it eventually picked up satellites.

Also the 705 can take a while to find satellites. Best is to switch on the unit only when you have clear view of the sky, ideally not among high-rise buildings.

Garmin 500 as well. can take a few minutes especailly if I turned it off moved location and then turn it back on. Classic example is when I rode to the office with it on..then didn't bother turning it back on for the return trip. The unit will try to 1st localise itself to its last known position and then recalibrate.

Google Maps works in exactly the same way, so I don't think this method will be changing any time soon.

Out of interest, are the maps on the Garmin vectorised like Google Maps is now?

Thanks everyone! I was worried that I had a defective unit until I saw others had issues with initial startup. Stood in the middle of a baseball field and fifteen minutes later I hooked up to satelites. Have turned it on and off a few times and it locates pretty quickly.

Downloaded upupdown maps and need to put them on the unit. Did get out for my first ride since moving to Tokyo today. The adjustment to getting out of the city will take some getting used to. How are the rides on the weekend on the Oi Wharf (I think this is the container area)?

Back
Top Bottom