What's new

Tech Garmin 500 question

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
A (probably daft) question to all Garmin experts, which I'm obviously not: I'm using the Garmin 500 Edge and would like to know what's the best way to prevent the device from recording distance covered by train or car during a ride. You all know the situation: you ride to the station, take the train and then continue from your destination. By default, the device just connects the two last waypoints with a straight line, which admittedly results in an impressive average speed when you travel on the shinkansen.

Is there any other option than to record each ride separately?

Not that I know of. Personally I take the view that if I'm on a train or in the car, what I do before and after are separate rides and should thus be recorded as separate entities.

I'd also do the separation thing, but the garmin site now has that annoying little feedback thingie on the lower right, so why not bombard them with the need to fix this?

I could be mistaken, but I've seen both types of behaviour from Strava.

Originally, Strava would not count distance between a STOP and START event in the same recording. Then they screwed it up and they started counting it for both distance and elevation, which I bitterly complained to them about. Now, recently I think I've seen it behave as it used to, with paused distances shown as a line but not counting towards the overall distance (and presumably average speed). I'd be happy with that.

In any case, RideWithGPS seems to consistently get it right and not count train rides.

Back
Top Bottom