What's new
  • Dear valued Members,

we kindly ask you to post/repost your classified ads to our new Classifieds section. This subforum is now in read-only status. If you still have active ads, repost them to the new Classified section.

Please submit multiple items seperately: one entry for each item you'd like to post.

Thank you!

Wanted Fun bike for touring

ryfree

Warming-Up
Jul 18, 2013
Hey there Tokyo Cycling Club,

I'm in the market for a touring bike (or something similar to it) for a small trip around Japan sometime in the near future. I'd prefer to buy something second hand that's been taken care of and not too pricey. Any leads?

Thanks!

I'm aiming to find something for 50,000 or less, but willing to pay a bit more if it's a good value.

I'm 178cm and read that a 56cm bike is recommended.

Thanks Microcord. I'm pretty much a bike newb so mind telling me you're opinion of the bike? Is it a good deal?

I'm pretty much a bike newb so mind telling me you're opinion of the bike? Is it a good deal?

The question's twofold, of course: (i) Assuming that it's in good condition, is it a good deal? (ii) Is it in good condition, and so far as it isn't, what will this imply?

It was never an expensive bike. But it should have been pretty solid when new. However, it's not a tourer. Or if it is one, then it assumes that either (a) your itinerary is very mild or (b) you are very fit. Reason being that it has only two chainwheels and the smaller doesn't look small. (There may be other reasons, too, why it's not a tourer.)

Do you need to climb hills? (In Japan, almost certainly yes.) Do you want to carry camping gear and the like?

The condition now? Hard to say, from a few not-so-big jpegs. The seller prevents caveats that will get him out of trouble, but also shows signs of being scrupulous and conscientious. This may be very unwise of me, but I'd guess that you'd get what you'd expect, not something significantly worse.

Gearing is likely to be a problem. You might well be better off on a large example of something marketed as a mountain bike.

Back
Top Bottom