What's new

Fukuoka Tokyo

Deister

Warming-Up
Feb 8, 2015
Hello everyone,
in may this year I will do a trip from Fukuoka to Tokyo Haneda area, as I bokked a flight back from there to Europe.
I still have one (of a few) queation I am looking for help. I need a cartonage shipping box to transport my bike. Does anyone know the email adress of a bike shop south of Tokyo perhaps Chivasaki where I can get such a box?
Then I can pack my bike and take a taxi to the airport?
I never have been in Japan before and I am very interested in driving in Japan.
Perhaps anyone has ideas for me? Which locations are a must. I plan to go via Hagi, Hiroshima,Shimanami Kaido, Kyoto, Toba ...
Must be great!
Greeting from Germany

Fly like this. Box not needed.

20091106-101250-nz-pack-bike-jpg.10045

...then you can cycle right up to the International Terminal at Haneda. How cool is that?

Any of the big asahi cycling stores usually have boxes lying around that they are happy to hand over.

Thank you for your replies!
My bike is a touring bike, Air France wants a shipping box.
I also look for a bicycle store with a hostel nearby for the last two nights. Therefore I think of Chigasaki area and feel better to book and plan early.

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 16
I think it might be impossible to have a taxi transport the bike box. My recommendation would be taking an airport bus there, where you can throw the box in below and ride for a cheap fee. They leave from many locations in tokyo, so you can just choose one that is good for sightseeing. Inside tokyo there are cycling shops everywhere, they will give you a box for free.

Could it become a problem to transport the bike in a box to the airport? Two years ago I did it with an airport shuttle in San Francisco it was not cheap but allright. I do not speak Japanese and I get not sure how will I find a shop? Taxi?
I plan to be from Wednesday to Friday in the Mt Fuji area. I feel much better to plan it from here...

If your bike is boxed the easiest way to get it to the airport is simply get one of the "takyubin" services (express delivery, such as "Kuro Neko (Black Cat)")--they provide luggage and box delivery service to airports at a very reasonable charge. I live in Hiroshima, and when we travel abroad, out of Narita, we always send our largest pieces a day or two ahead by Takyubin, while we take connecting domestic flights, and the large items are waiting for us at Narita when we arrive.

Sorry, I immediately started questioning you and did not introduce myself. Excuse me!
Two years ago I flew from my hometown Hannover in Germany to Vancouver, BC and cycled the Pacific Coast Route to San Francisco. That was a great experience, but after 2000 km in three weeks I decided: never again.
But meanwhile .... Japan and cycling in Japan is rather unknown in Germany and now I will come to Fukuoka and will explore your country.
I never had been there, in Japanese I only can say Konishewa (or something like that) and I am very curious. I will take my tent with me but also use ryokans or hostels.
I hope the weather will be fine, they say the rain season will start in June.
And a liitle bit I fear the traffic in Hiroshima and Osaka. And the tunnels?

With proper planning you can manage a safe interesting route through almost anywhere in Japan--Hiroshima, no problem at all, Osaka something of a bigger challenge. Some tunnels are to be avoided, while most simply require great caution. You would have to use the back roads of course, so most major obstacles can be avoided. Too big of an area to go into specifics here.

And a liitle bit I fear the traffic in Hiroshima and Osaka. And the tunnels?

There are rivers all over Japan. and as those rivers hit the plains(cities) they flatten out and most of them have paths beside them on either or one side. They are perfect for planning your entry and exit to and from the bigger cities. have a look at the map or strava or Ride with GPS and search by location you will see regular routes that cyclists use to get out of the cities, this might be a good place to start!

Back
Top Bottom