What's new

Fuji International Hillclimb 2013

I really regret that I marked the closing date for this registration on my calender.
TODAY is the day and I did my registration. Please read this, finish your registration and have the same feeling as I do.

Takaaki - that's great I'll see you there. Don't worry about getting lost; the course is very easy to follow ;)

Yes, indeed. That's very important for me because there won't be anyone to follow if I was in the very front.:cool:
Anyway, this is a very good race and I'm looking forward to seeing you and Naomi-san (on the podium)!!

Just saw this and I am not sure if I can still enter for this event. What are the chances to just show up and enter the day of the race just in case someone is a no-show?

About the same as showing up in Rome and asking if the holy chair is vacant.
Hm, thinking it over: less than that.

Will be racing the same day on the same mountain but the Japan Elite Tour race.

6/16開催「第10回 JBCF 富士山ヒルクライム」のエントリーを受付します。

http://www.jbcf.jp/race/2013/mt-fuji/

Occasionally riders drop out. There is generally no problem in taking their spot. If you have a chip and number that's enough. Though they won't xfer the registration so you might be riding in a completely different category than you might prefer.

Or , you can just show up and ride the course during practice , or anytime, (it's not a closed road) and post the results on Strava. Then you get the pleasure of riding it under less hectic conditions and less costly.

Just saw this and I am not sure if I can still enter for this event. What are the chances to just show up and enter the day of the race just in case someone is a no-show?

Reactions: TOM

Basically Zero, it's to do with the insurance policies that they have in place. Basically they have to register all riders before the event takes place.

Occasionally riders drop out. There is generally no problem in taking their spot. If you have a chip and number that's enough. Though they won't xfer the registration so you might be riding in a completely different category than you might prefer.

Or , you can just show up and ride the course during practice , or anytime, (it's not a closed road) and post the results on Strava. Then you get the pleasure of riding it under less hectic conditions and less costly.

Highly recommend against just showing up and riding the course if you aren't an official rider - these events are packed and having "Free loaders" there makes it worse. There is another race later on in the year I beleive so mark this date in your calendar for next year and keep an eye open for when entry starts.

If you really want to see what it's like then I suggest the other alternative Tim made, go any other day and ride the course and post your times. If you can get a day off mid week then the roads are absolutely empty.

With that being said. You can't use another persons entry in sanctioned events (JCF,JCRC) only these 'fun ride' dashes. Another optionis to contact directly the organizer and tell them you Are an international visitor. They might be able to find you a slot. I did this before with the other Mt Fuji HC.

Tim I think it is this Hill Climb, The international race, I entered it a few years back but it clashed with a JCRC race so I cancled, they actually refunded my CC as well.

Right - remember when they held them on the same day? Each side of the mountain. This year it's split with the 'International HC' on the 2nd and the Azami (JBCF) on the 16th along with the 'fun riders' event.

Good luck, everyone going there! Looking forward to good news :)

Tough but satisfying race on Sunday. Tough because a) it's Azami and b) it was pouring with rain the whole night and during the race!
We stayed at the pension right at the base of the hillclimb, booked months in advance by Naomi-san, with Patrick (Quicksilver) and his family, Takaaki (Kawa), Eugen (Bird), Eric (EricinIkebukero) and Tim (GSAstuto), along with the Bridgstone-Anchor professional team. The pension served up an enormous dinner - too big for us really with the race the next morning:

Race day dawned with the rain still coming down hard and no sign of it stopping. After a warm up on the course, I lined up in Expert class. Ahead of me was James (FarEast) in E1 category, just behind me was Naomi-san in the ladies (non-professional) class, then Takaaki and Eugen, and then Patrick.
The classes started at 2 minute intervals, so at 8:38 precisely the gun went for Expert class and we were off up the hill. The rain was coming down but I didn't even feel it any more as the gradient increased. Soon we caught the slower riders from the ladies (pro) class and the tail-enders from the E3 and E4 groups. Our group split into two sets of five on the first 3km straight section. Around the 5km point the first 3 riders got clear of me and I was unable to catch them, even though I was pretty much maxed out. On the other hand, after another 500m or so, the rider behind me dropped far behind. From then I was basically racing the clock and trying to get a good time.
The road surface was slick with rain but generally clear of debris; however the metal drainage grates were a slippery as ice and my bike skittered nervously as I crossed them. I saw a couple of riders stall and stop as their wheel spun out and one guy unable to get going again on the steep gradient.

I was continually passing riders from the "E" categories as I neared the top. With my remaining energy I went for the line and secured 4th place; also beat my previous best time by 45 seconds. Considering the bad conditions, I was pretty happy with that.
Patrick at the goal

Naomi-san and Patrick

GSAstuto Racers: Eugen, Takaaki and Naomi

Podium

Results

Happy Racers :)

[Thomas - please change the title to "2013"]

Congratulations on the podium!!!

Great job, good pics and a nice write up!:D

Congratulations and thanks for a great report! I had been looking forward to it since the race :)

Back
Top Bottom