What's new

FUBAR of the Knee

Two or three years back I suddenly realized my belts needed use of a hole nearer the end. I weighed myself for the first time in ages and found that whereas I'd assumed I was in the low seventies I instead weighed 82kg. I'm all in favour of intelligent and healthy eating but there's something about diet "gurus" that either repels or amuses me. (Here's one installment of the excellent Ben Goldacre -- an actual scientist -- debunking one of them, "the awful poo lady".) I decided that instead of spending time figuring out which expert was neither a moron nor a charlatan, I'd simply follow my own, simple-to-remember method: eat less. I'd always automatically asked for ōmori (and then never had problems consuming it). When rushed for lunch I'd always get (and easily gobble) three packs of sandwiches. Under my new regime, no more ōmori, and just two packs of sandwiches. For four months or so, I felt hungry half the day. But eventually I got used to it. I went down to 74kg and I've stayed there. (I'd still prefer half as much again in most meals, but doing without is no longer agonizing.)

(Course, I still don't have much in the way of muscles, but I didn't before I lost weight either.)

Last thing to mention; as I said, I have lost 16kg, and still think I could lose more. That is a large proportion of my previous body weight, and some people have been saying you will lose power by losing that much. I say to that; bollocks. .

Totally agree and for this reason - your muscle remembers carrying the lard arse around, if you drop 10kg the body is still used to carrying that weight. It's one of the reason why many argue thast dopers should receive lifetime bans as the muscle memory remains pretty much for the rest of your life.

Whatever you do you need to believe in it. Or like you say you won't be able to stick to it. Once you believe, it's easy. I recommend joining a cult like Hare Krishnas. No, seriously though. Don't beat yourself up or you will just create other problems.
You have reminded me of a very important point that I had almost forgotten.
Swimming is nice because smoke breaks are hard to fit in... ;)
Very true. The cigs will have to go. (Not that there were ever any good reasons for smoking, but all that gunge in my bloodstream is definitely going to prevent my knees from mending themselves.) Great!

Just did 600 m in the pool. My shoulders are smouldering, and the legs feel nicely taxed but not stressed.

Next question. What do you lot think/know about support taping? If a criss-cross strapping will support my knee joint and let me cycle without pain should I do it? Or should I wait until I don't need it?

Knee strapping is more psychologically supportive than actually physical but sometimes that is what is needed. The brace I got for my post-op cost 99800 yen plus or minus 200yen. I keep it in the car in case I'm feeling a little wobbly. Will take it with me on my first golf game comeback. Too cumbersome for cycling and the knee doesn't really need any support except for dismounting while cycling. Even a soft knee support makes it feel more snug but I know it is not really doing much.

First off - make sure you are getting solid Orthopedic support. It sounds like the doc FE uses is quite good and experienced with treating both acute and chronic injury. You want someone like that.

Secondly - this is likely to be a pretty major lifestyle change. I know it was for me. So, having support from your friends and family is very very important. Along with even (dare I say) some counseling together to create unity and understanding what you are going to do.

Thirdly - it's not easy , painless or simple to tackle not only a weight issue, but also a structural issue simultaneously. There is bound to be periods of depression, frustration, elation, etc. So you gotta be prepared for that.

Fourth - method , there are hundreds if not thousands of 'my way is best' out there. You just need to find what works for you! And stick with it long enough to determine if it is!

My case mirrored both Owen and FE's and probably a million others. Middle age spread, injury, laziness, predisposition, etc etc. Then finally a trigger point. Some people aren't lucky 'like us' and have a hobby like cycling that is really an awesome rehabilitator and facilitator!

Perhaps the biggest effect on weight for me was just 2 things:

1) No white at night. Staying away from the deadly high GI starches that LOVE to transform into fat at a moments notice. So - I just avoid eating these whenever I'm not physically active nor intend to be. Big 'offenders' tend to be WHITE sugar, WHITE rice, WHITE flour, WHITE potatoes. Hence why I coined 'No White at Night'.

2) Activate Lipolysis. You gotta get the liver working again to start processing the fat stores. The ONLY way it's triggered to do this effectively is by mild (important) starvation. So - increasing your activity into the AT zone for a short time each day. Too much and your body will horde. Too little and it just happily draws from the ready glycogen. What I did : 3-6 laps around the Palace each morning with a short sprint on the little hill. Most important part, NO FOOD BEFORE - I just drank a couple glasses of water and did this. Then upon returning , drank a glass of Soy Milk or regular milk. Intense hunger! Yeah! Wait until lunchtime. Then, again , stay low on the carbs! If you decide to go frutarian - that's fine - but just remember - THAT works simply because the FAT intake is ZERO or very close to it. So, if you're omniverous, then just lay low on the carbs unless you need them for the next round.

Things you can eat economically in Japan to promote good health:

1) Germinated gen-mai. This is the best way to survive in an otherwise legume and multi-grain free society (like Japan). Just stay completely away from white rice and and get gen-mai only. The germinated version is the key cause it's already headed towards protein formations.

2) Tofu and more of it. Personally I love tofu - so this is easy for me. Fresh, sauteed, whatever. It's filling enough to fill some important gaps and much better than any other 'white' you might be craving.

3) Saizerea's Chicken Salsa. Hey, I'm busy and can't always make the best foods. But Saizera has Chicken Salsa that is about 500kcals (w/skin). Rip the skin off that thing and it's well under 300! Combine with the drink bar and wham! Set for the day under 900 yen!

4) Kim Chi, Broccoli, carrots, celery -- most veggies here are pretty economical and you should eat as much as you can!

5) Fruit - as Owen said, the high fructose, low glucose kind. Apple a Day sorta thing.

That's pretty much what I did (and do). I still drink a beer now and then, and wine. I just don't drink as a habit or as much as I used to.

Healthy doesn't have to be skinny. It is the equilibrium state that you find that allows you to do the things you want to do and live in a relatively chronic pain-free mode that is important. I don't buy into the whole BMI equals this or that. And I think it's totally stupid as it creates the wrong kind of incentives and comparisons. People ARE different.

Mike, 4yrs ago when I started riding again you blew me away and inspired me! I have no doubt you'll recover and continue to astound all of us with your recuperative energy and ongoing positive contributions to cycling!

While I don't have any advice on the knee or on coaching, I have some weight loss experience.

You seem to have made a resolution to change (weight and smoking) and that is very important. Everything else will follow from that.

For about 20 years I had weighed between 72 and 78 kg at 171 cm. The last time I can clearly remember when I weighed anything like my current weight (68 kg) was back in 1985. From September 2011 to March 2012 I steadily lost one kg per month without any major hardship. It actually started a little before that, at a slower pace, when I changed eating habits (before also stepping up exercise = hiking and cycling). I can now wear the old Bavarian Lederhose again that I've had hanging in my closet for about 25 years.

1) Like others here, I replaced starchy foods such as rice, potatoes, pasta with vegetables (broccoli, egg plant, carrots, cabbage, onions, tofu). I also cooked more with lean chicken. Tim often mentioned about broccoli and chicken - that could be my mantra. Also, I always keep some apples and some yogurt in the fridge - much better than cookies or chocolate as desert. Oatmeal is also a favourite of mine, as a relatively low GI carbohydrate source.

2) The other thing I did was to pass on second helpings and keep portions more sensible. If I cooked some dish when I was home alone, rather than finish all that I had cooked just because it was there and tasted good, I'd have half and save the rest for dinner or for next day's lunch. I was never starving myself, only keeping things moderate.

3) The final change was consistent exercise. After my first Fuji climb with new friends we did more hikes, climbing another mountain almost every weekend. Then came the cycling. I've tried running too, but don't find it very knee friendly. I probably would try swimming again if I had a pool at home or just around the corner, but what I like about cycling (and running) is that the exercise starts the moment I leave home, not any later (why do people drive to the gym?). I started avoiding escalators and when shopping, carry the basket rather than getting a trolley. These are just little gestures, but they keep reminding me of what I want to achieve.

For more than a year now my weight has held pretty steady. I guess I've increased my calorie intake to balance out the extra exercise and the increased burn rate from more muscle. Also, the first change has been partly reversed because I also fix meals for the whole family and am not totally free in my choices.

My advice with swimming is to increase your distance quite gradually (100 m at a time) and to only increase after you are comfortable with your current distance. When I increase too suddenly it can tire me out so much that I fall ill, and then I'm back to swimming shorter distances again. If you have a 50-meter pool nearby as well they can be quite nice to use for longer swims.

My advice with swimming is to increase your distance quite gradually (100 m at a time) and to only increase after you are comfortable with your current distance.
My shoulders are giving me much the same advice this morning LOL.
When I increase too suddenly it can tire me out so much that I fall ill, and then I'm back to swimming shorter distances again. If you have a 50-meter pool nearby as well they can be quite nice to use for longer swims.
Ever since I heard about the Olympic pool at Sendagaya I have been planning to go. Ten years of procrastinating, now. I've never established whether they have somewhere to park the bike. It's twice the cost of my local pool - 600 yen vs 300 yen. Not that money's an issue - it's about getting on with it. I'm sure it's minging with proper swimmers. Will definitely check it out. However, last night's trip to the pool was fun for the whole family so I'll probably make that my swimming base.

Mike, I'm sorry I didn't think to bounce any of this off Peter when you were thru. So discuss with him.

If swimming crawl, add a pull buoy (they come in slightly different shapes/sizes):
A2761-Green_Navy-Pull-Buoy.jpg

It makes crawl more relaxing, less demanding.

Also for crawl, you might try some paddle gloves (impossible to source in KZ, but tokyo might be different). I use Body Glove, as pictured, but google paddle gloves for a zillion others.
41S8W5397AL._SX300_.jpg

The gloves don't work well for non-crawl strokes (IMO). They turn crawl into a more of a resistance exercise.

By using two buoys and the gloves, I give up kicking entirely on crawl. My knees don't do anything except pushing off at each end. Something to consider to give your knees a rest.

My shoulders are giving me much the same advice this morning LOL.
Ever since I heard about the Olympic pool at Sendagaya I have been planning to go. Ten years of procrastinating, now. I've never established whether they have somewhere to park the bike. It's twice the cost of my local pool - 600 yen vs 300 yen. Not that money's an issue - it's about getting on with it. I'm sure it's minging with proper swimmers. Will definitely check it out. However, last night's trip to the pool was fun for the whole family so I'll probably make that my swimming base.

That does seem a bit expensive. The 50-meter pool I go to in Kinuta Park (http://www.se-sports.or.jp/sougou-p/) is only 200 yen for 1 hour. The proper swimmers are mostly mingers as well though.

might help as i lost 8 kgs. using this app/website. it was very helpful in educating myself with the calorie counts of the foods i eat and because of this, i was able to make better eating decisions.

having it on your smartphone helps a lot because you can log your food immediately after your meal. the app has a "lite" free version and there is a full app for around 300円.

app: myplate

might help as i lost 8 kgs. using this app/website. it was very helpful in educating myself with the calorie counts of the foods i eat and because of this, i was able to make better eating decisions.

having it on your smartphone helps a lot because you can log your food immediately after your meal. the app has a "lite" free version and there is a full app for around 300円.

app: myplate

I have some friends in Virginia who have sworn by this. They do not follow too much of the site, but the tracking of food - to them was eye opening.

Sendagaya pool was the site of my reintroduction to swimming after what, twenty years or more. A friend suggested I go there, because the alternatives were usually cluttered with paddlers and because it was (and is) easy to get to. As I've written above, I found it profoundly depressing. Really, I wouldn't have minded if 90% of the people had overtaken me, but I had hoped to more or less keep up with somebody. I couldn't, plus I exhausted myself within minutes. ("Oh fcuk, I'm totally useless.") I went perhaps two more times and then gave up. If I started again I'd do so elsewhere; when I'd advanced enough for its lack of space (etc) to irritate me (and not before), I'd move to the Sendagaya pool.

I do remember that the pool seemed to have an extraordinarily long list of regulations. Some made sense, some didn't. I wouldn't assume that "paddle gloves" and the like are OK; you might take them along if you already possess them, but should read the regulations before buying this kind of thing.

Sendagaya pool was [...] profoundly depressing.
I suspected as much.
read the regulations before buying this kind of thing.
Quite. I did check for the Kinuta place GrantT mentions above (as I have to check for tattoo taboos everywhere). They mentioned both pull buoys and paddle gloves specifically, saying that soft types are OK. But for now, as both my shoulders are still knackered from cycling and cycling-periphery misadventures, I'm not planning to use gadgets to isolate them for extra strain. Spread the load; share the pain.

Thanks. I know where that is. Will check it out. (Their web site doesn't mention a tattoo taboo...)

What a joke that is. When I was first here tipness didn't mind about tattoos then their regulations started.
Even my local community pool has regulations. I basically ignore them, I wear a long sleeve shirt and still inevitably some pimply teenager ends up chasing me around with tape after about 20 minutes, usually visibly shaking as they mumble about regulations. I usually just hang out the offending limbs and let them do the covering. They always seem very relieved that I haven't thrown them in the pool.

Which is what I want to do.

Haha init. It is like a regulation about a regulation. Meaningless in 2013 but they still enforce it like ****s

Mike, it occurred to me that you have a Powertap Wheel. These are great for training 'under constraint'. You can set alerts on your Garmin and use it to avoid situations of higher power. So, for example, set an ideal power range of like 80-100w , then when you're riding stay inside that range. If the power creeps up, shift down. Also - learn your HR levels and then when you're riding strive to stay well within your AT (aerobic threshold) zone to allow for maximum fat conversion and minimize the lactic acid formation (which will just exacerbate your knee issues). So - between these 2 tools you can balance an optimum level of exercise that will reduce stress on your knees AND burn away fat.

There are a couple good coaches here on the board who know the ropes on setting out a good program and I'd suggest consulting them as a good starting point. You don't want to shotgun this, but rather have well founded metrics to work from and towards.

Your commutes might be a tad slower and climbs a little less vigorous, but overall you'll be increasing strength and managing power which is very important in preventing further injuries.

Mike, it occurred to me that you have a Powertap Wheel. These are great for training 'under constraint'.
That's exactly what I did this morning. Turned off the speed, time, all that junk (who cares!?) Just 3s power, HR, cadence. Quickly established that 300W = ouch. So I set myself a max of 250W on the short hills, and less than 150W everywhere else.

This added 10 min to my commute, but I was less hot and out of breath and easily banked the 10 min elsewhere.

You know what's really dangerous to my knees? Moving off from a standstill. I will just have to learn to do it gracefully, rather than like a bazooka.

And I will have to learn that I must not chase people down. Getting my knees right is more important. For now...

sorry to hear that Mike - and great comments- I could reccommend herbal life for the weight loss as well - I tried it and it worke a treat- it is not cheap however but you feel like you have a lot more energy - good luck with the rehab process

Back
Top Bottom