What's new

Friday Oct 12th - Matsuda-Oyama-Rt76-Doshi Michi - MTBike/CXBike

Doug3

Maximum Pace
Jun 24, 2010
Friday Oct 5th - Matsuda-Oyama-Rt76-Doshi Michi - MTBike/CXBike

I am planning to take my full suspension Mt. Bike (with slicks) up Rt 76 and over the pass between Tanzawa and Omuro. After the pass, the road is unpaved and pretty rough at some points, but then returns to pavement for a fun ride down to Doshi Michi. I think this is a great ride to do in the Fall and it offers some very nice scenery on the descent.

No road bikes.

I will rinko it to Shin-Matsuda. I am flexible on the start time if others are interested in going, but my feeling is earlier the better.

This gives you a general idea of the route.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88428542

Let me know ASAP if you would like to join and we can work out the details.

I always wanted to try this pass ... but I only have a road bike. How rough is the road, do you have pictures?

I don't have any pictures of the road. I have done it twice, and both times I though that I would be walking for a fair distance if I were on the road bike. My recollection is that the road was basically comprised of golf ball to tennis ball sized sharp rocks in the worst sections.

I'll bring the camera and record some of it this time.

Last time I went there three years ago, there were a few landslide after the storm, so there were sharp stones. Not sure of the current situation with this weekend storm.

The dirt part is only a few kilometers from the tunnel to the road to Doshi Michi. Depends on how puncture proof your tires, but I would say your puncture risk is med to high if you have 23C. If time is not an issue, descending very slow or walking down is also an option :)

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=225874

watch out for them killer dogs (the bastards will storm at you and keep chasing you) not too far from the last camping place on 76 (coming from Doshi). When you see the dilapidated ultrarightist bus on your left, crank up into high gear!!

Last time I went there three years ago, there were a few landslide after the storm, so there were sharp stones. Not sure of the current situation with this weekend storm.

The dirt part is only a few kilometers from the tunnel to the road to Doshi Michi. Depends on how puncture proof your tires, but I would say your puncture risk is med to high if you have 23C. If time is not an issue, descending very slow or walking down is also an option :)

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=225874

Thanks for posting the route. I am going to try taking 710 from Matsuda and cutting across to Yamakita on the rindo for some variation.

Yup, this is way better that taking the road south of Lake Tanzawa.

Thanks for posting the route. I am going to try taking 710 from Matsuda and cutting across to Yamakita on the rindo for some variation.

Ahhh - Inugoe-ji. Haven't been there for a few years. I've always done it approaching from the Doshi-michi side.

Here are my photos from 2008. They're geocoded so you can see where each one was taken. I wouldn't try the fire track section on skinny tires.

20080613-092426.jpg

The end of the line for roadies

Nor would I want to walk the fire track section on road cleats!

Ahhh - Inugoe-ji. Haven't been there for a few years. I've always done it approaching from the Doshi-michi side.

Here are my photos from 2008. They're geocoded so you can see where each one was taken. I wouldn't try the fire track section on skinny tires.

Nor would I want to walk the fire track section on road cleats!

Thanks for the pictures. How long is that dirt stretch approximately? Descending might be easier than climbing on road tires.
I did this climb for 6km once in Kyushuu (without puncture but also not much fun)
attachment.php

Looks similar to your picture Malte. If you follow my route, you would be descending on that for about 2-3km. I am heading off now and should be leaving shin-matsuda by 8:30-8:45. Will be much slower than you. Might see you on the road.

OK, I screwed up on the date. I did the ride today, and won't be doing it next Friday on the 12th.

The ride up 710 then the Hadano Toge rindo on the way over to Yamakita was really nice. The rindo is about 14km and in good condition. I did run into 10 police vehicles parked along the road about 2km in, looks like they were doing some search and rescue, or recovery operation.

From Yamakita I jumped on 76 and rode up to the tunnel at the top. The rindo had a bit more debris than the other one, but was easily passable.

However, after passing through the tunnel and starting down the other side, the pavement stopped after about 500 meters. Then it was about 8km of unpaved road with intermittent paved sections near the bridges.

I took a couple pictures, but they look tamer than it actually was.

I would not recommend the descent on a road bike. There were some sections that were even a bit technical on the Mt. Bike. Also there were some muddy sections and some small water crossings.

Back
Top Bottom