What's new

Friday Evening Friendly 7pm - Tsurumigawa 20km TT

Doug3

Maximum Pace
Jun 24, 2010
Now that the days are longer and we have some decent daylight, I would like to propose some LT training on Friday evenings on the Tsurumigawa Bike Path near Kawasaki. First iteration is Friday July 6th at 7pm.

James tried to organize something similar in the past
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=2827
but I would like to start with something less official.

Not planning any prizes or marshals, etc. for the first couple of iterations.

Basically I will show up at the start around 6pm and pre-ride the course looking for particular hazards or things of note. I will also bring some chalk to mark the turnaround.

Then I will wait around at the start line to let any participants know the course conditions. Start time is 7pm with riders separated by 1min intervals. Starting order is determined by your previous times with slowest riders starting first. Standing start, 20km (out and back x2).

You need to bring a cyclecomputer or stopwatch to record your own time, and preferably 5km splits. It is on the honor system. Expecting all participants to be back around before 8pm to share times at the start/finish.

Safety is the #1 concern. Right of way should be given to pedestrians and when overtaking/approaching slower cyclists. Bring your lights for the ride home.

The course is here on the second segment.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/194888550
Initial time is 34:02 at 280W.
Tried to make a Strava segment, but it had trouble with the out and back x2.
This is the strava 10km segment.
http://app.strava.com/segments/1561686

Any feedback or interest?

Let me know if you will join on Friday the 6th. I will post weather cancellations by 4pm on the day of the event.

Doug, thanks for bringing this TT event up.
Unfortunately I have to pass this week due to a nomikai this Friday evening.
Even without nomikai, it may be difficult for me to be there by 7pm though, unless I take an afternoon leave from work. Will see.

Eugen

Doug, if it was Thursday night I would be all over this but the wife is on a night shift on the Friday so can't make it :(

Doug, if it was Thursday night I would be all over this but the wife is on a night shift on the Friday so can't make it :(

Thanks James. I chose Friday nights for selfish reasons, primarily because it is my only weeknight consistently off work. Second reason is that it might help with some weight loss by exchanging the bike:bike: for all the beer:beer:. (OK, maybe it will only result in a reduction of consumption, not elimination:eek:)

If I can't get any interest, I might be able to organize Tuesdays or Wednesdays, but with less regularity.

I would love to join but it is a bit far for me at that time.
Now if it was on Arakawa in saitama area....:D

Looking forward to reading all the banter.

Like before with James' effort, I'd love to join this, but there is just no way for me to make it in time, even if I get off work by 6pm sharp.
But I've got some company training near seijogakuen, so I might be able to swing by just in time. Would still need to change and put my luggage somewhere though...

Make sure you guys bring some brooms and sweep the course first. it was littered with glass when I went there before (popular drinking location on the river). And mark the grates! I flatted 3x.

I'd like to do this, even regularly, but like many others I would have to take time off from work to get there in time. It's also far from my house.

Weather Alert - 7pm Cancelled

The rain is supposed to become worse, so the organized ride will not be happening at 7pm tonight. I am going to go out there at 3:30 and give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom