What's new

Ride Friday 2/19 Shiraishi

koya_hijiri

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2015
In case y'all hadn't noticed, tomorrow is gonna be a nice one. I thought I'd head out to renew acquaintances with Shiraishi. If I'm on my own I will probably do an out-and-back something like this, which is about 170km round trip for me. That said, I'm not averse to meeting up, doing a bit more climbing out there, and taking the train back.

Pace will be crisp but still enjoyable (30-35 on the flats?) and food/coffee will be whenever we damn well please. Thinking of leaving Waseda at a civilized 9:00am, but I'm flexible.

It will be interesting to see if it's open right to the top!

@theBlob I'd only briefly considered the possibility of it being closed, and I couldn't remember noticing any gates or anything up there. To be fair it would make sense, and the couple of times I've done it I wasn't noticing much at all.

If anyone has any intel on this, or any strong inkling that it is closed, that'd be nice to know. Otherwise I will report.

There are no gates as far as I know but we went up the road right next to it a week or so back and It was blocked by snow towards the top. Anyway let us know!

A friend on starva did it last weekend, I asked and he said there where some ice a kilometer or so from the top but other than taking it easy over there is should be passable, also looking at strava now 6 people have ridden it this week (1 person today). You most likely will be looking at going down the same way though, the road down to sadamine will most likely not be passable (or at least ridable).

Great, thanks guys! That rain last weekend probably did a lot to clear things up.

Nice to be out without leg warmers for the first time this year, even if the legs didn't have a ton of life in them. I blame a wimpy weight "session" a couple of days ago. In any case, the old internal jukebox was in good form (anyone else fear a terrible earworm more than just about anything on these long solo rides?), and the weather was fantastic.

The road up to the little gazebo thing was immaculate. There were a couple of impressive piles of snow on the shoulders, but nothing on the roads. The two roads that branch off up there and head up were covered in debris.

@leicaman there didn't seem to be, but I didn't try to head down the other side at all.

I did see a car go barreling down that way like it knew what it was doing, but you can take that for what it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom