What's new

French guy in Tokyo

bobo696

Cruising
Aug 16, 2020
Hi there TCC !

My name is William, I just arrived in Tokyo and I will probably spend the next few years here. I would love to join a cycling club here to meet new people and.... to cycle, obviously :)

First things first, I need to buy a bike. Where can I buy a road bike here ? As I am a small 5"4', I shouldn't have difficulties finding the right sized bike here. Any tips finding a good used bike ? Alternatively I guess I will look for a new one, but I read that prices are higher here than in other parts of the world unfortunately.

Thanks !

William

Last edited:
As I am a small 6"4', I shouldn't have difficulties finding the right sized bike here. Any tips finding a good used bike ?

I'm even more petit, and needed luck and patience before finding my own right-sized used bike. Its parts were all in good condition, but few of them were right for me. By the time I got it as I wanted it, it was no longer at all cheap.

Go to Yahoo Auction, and look for 56cm+ road bikes (unfortunately this is the closest class on offer) whose would-be sellers provide many photos and knowledgable descriptions. Repeat, week after week.

Gradients of 15%+ are common in the hills around Tokyo: this is worth bearing in mind when you consider what gearing you want.

I'm even more petit, and needed luck and patience before finding my own right-sized used bike. Its parts were all in good condition, but few of them were right for me. By the time I got it as I wanted it, it was no longer at all cheap.

Go to Yahoo Auction, and look for 56cm+ road bikes (unfortunately this is the closest class on offer) whose would-be sellers provide many photos and knowledgable descriptions. Repeat, week after week.

Gradients of 15%+ are common in the hills around Tokyo: this is worth bearing in mind when you consider what gearing you want.

Sorry I made a biiiiig mistake, I'm really small at 5"4' haha, it wasn't ironic!

Im 5'3" your Giant R3 Escape bike is fine . l had to order the XS size bike.

Well my last bike was a nice carbon cannondale synapse with sram groupset, so I would like at least that kind of bike : carbon, shimano 105 or ultegra. I paid the equivalent of 1000 euros for it, and this time I would say I have that sort of budget as well, maybe more ?

most importantly, how did you manage to get into the country when they've banned tout le monde? you must be either a teacher at an international school (I understand they got exempted) or otherwise married to a Japanese national? or maybe a diplomat? please enlighten me if you don't mind me asking, I'm seriously interested (and also about what the trip involved in terms of testing, quarantining etc)

Luka, you are absolutely right, I am one of a few who received a special authorization to land in Japan, as I will work in an international school. As for my arrival, I had a covid test on arrival and I'm currently quarantining for 2 weeks in a hotel ! I can't wait to get out !

I see, thanks @bobo696 . with about 1,000EUR you should be able to get a new bike of that range (105 for sure, maybe not ultegra, unless you buy second hand). usually by autumn they are clearing the 2020 stock and preparing for new models, so maybe you can catch some bargain. check out the shops around your place (google map can reveal these) and that can give you a good starting line on what to expect

For the cost conscience, Ys Road Outlet Store in Aeon Laketown Koshigaya is worth the trip. They normally have some good bargains. For used, Mecari app is good but if you don't know Japanese, patients and time, or have deep bike knowledge... then it is far better to buy new.

Personally, I'd buy a new bike. You can get a rim brake 105 CAAD13 for 160,000 yen. The disc is 200,000. If you want carbon the Giant TCR advanced is about 200,000 for the rim brake one. They have lots of stores around Tokyo. You'd probably be able to get a bike within a few days, if not sooner.

Hope to see you out on a ride sometime!

Hi and thanks for the tips ! My previous bike was equiped with disc brakes, no more ! rim brakes are much easier in terms of maintenance...

Yes I'm looking for a carbon frame bike. I will think a bit between used and new. I'm not really in a hurry though, because I have so many things to do before relaxing on a bike !

I would love to get on a group ride when I'll be settled in Tokyo. Hopefully, in the next few months !

Regarding Disc Brakes: DB has extra merit in Japan. Due to the high rainfall as well as the steep descents in the local mountains which are also often on very rough roads.

Back
Top Bottom