What's new

Tech Freewheel tools

rommelgc

Maximum Pace
Sep 3, 2009
I'm buying some 5sp, 6sp, 7sp freewheels so I can make a custom freewheel. I don't have a corncob but I would like to have more range. I'm also playing around the idea of using the 7sp on friction shifters, for that I need to remove the whole FW body.

So, anybody seen these (FR-2, FR-3, FR-4) around?

http://www.hozan.co.jp/parktool/catalog/FR1_8.html

Can't find these tools in the local Y's nor cycly. Hasegawa is next on the list.

10/03 Update:
Got them! Rakuten shops have them at a discount.

Last edited:
Not sure how many people out there are still working on freewheels. So I'm putting some notes here (like talking to an imaginary friend).

I thought the FR-2 would properly mate with the Regina FW that I have. Nope. The FR-2 prongs are 0.65mm, the Regina notches are 0.60mm. Had to file off some metal. The tool must be properly seated with the skewer holding it in place, or you risk ruining the notch on the FW or prong of the tool. Which will lead to using FORCE! Hammer and punch to turn the FW. Well I didn't have to use force, but the tool did slip one time.

Note that when using new Reginas (splined instead of notched), the FW can not be removed by the FR-4 if the hub axle, cone is intact. It seems that the hub should be stripped before the FR-4 can be used. The FR-4 hits the cone/lock nuts. Note that this is on '80s Super Records, other hubs might not have this issue.

All that trouble to get to 13-23 (from a 13-21), but every tooth counts. Can't find old Regina FWs, so I might end up using Shimano 6sp (13-28). The RD "could" handle the 28 though I might need to tweak the wheel in the dropout.

You can use an old skewer and a large washer to hold the remover in place while you torque away with a spanner, stops it slipping out.

Back
Top Bottom