What's new

Tech Freehub body removal

Winston Leg-Thigh

Maximum Pace
Mar 31, 2015
I'm trying to remove the (seized) freehub from a Shimano wh rs370 wheel. Search as I might, I can't find what size Allen key I need to remove the offending freehub body. I think it might be 15mm but none of the local DIY stores have anything bigger than 12mm. Anyone got any idea what size of actually is? Cheers.

Looks like M15

Your average home center should have 15mm or a cheap assortment.
Cheers - I'll try another home centre tomorrow; the local Komeri didn't have anything bigger than a 10mm (and obviously CB Asahi didn't have the tools and the local pro shop couldn't be arsed even looking if he had something). If all else fails I'll try and bodge something with some nuts and bolts.

average home center should have 15mm
15 mm AF is an unusual size that's not stocked everywhere. It's rarely used except on bicycles. If you have a pedal wrench, that's 15 mm. (Also used on axle nuts for mamachari, Brompton, fixies etc.)

Good catch. At the risk of giving wrong info shine a light into the axle, I don't think it uses an allen key.

Looking closely at the techdoc I think what you need is a pair of 15 or 17mm (since the thread is m15) cone wrenches. Measure twice buy once. They look like standard ones but are quite thin, a normal one wont fit.
Also you're not likely to find a cone wrench/spanner other than at a bike shop.

Last edited:
Cheers for the input. I'd removed the axle (17mm cone spanners) but to get the actual freehub body off, it looks like I'll definitely need some sort of allen key. Given that the freehub is completely seized, I don't fancy my chances of getting it off, but I may as well have a go.

If the thing is seized, you can use an alloy seatpost (off a mountain bike etc) as an improvised breaker bar for extra leverage. Just be careful of it slipping.

On amazon at 3200 yen.

TL-FH15
Cheers - went to Nafco today and they had 14mm and 16mm and 17mm Allen wrenches and looks like it is definitely 15mm I need.
Now I have to decide whether to bother. The wheel only cost 12,000 yen so 3200 for the Allen wrench, 3500 ish for a new freehub (provided there's no damage to the threads from the freehub siezing) is half a wheel. I might be chucking good money after bad trying to fix it.
Choices are try to repair it, buy another wheel the same (only ones in stock I can find in that price range but I can get one by Wednesday), or bite the bullet and upgrade to something like Prime Kanza alloys or Fulcrum BD6 (but have to wait a few weeks for delivery).

you forgot riding fixie as an option until the better quality wheel you order arrives.

Back
Top Bottom