What's new

Free?

It's Castelli, you'll take a size up.

I just ordered an L size. 860JPY. Bargain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. All the large had gone so went with an XL. Might be a bit too big but for 860 yen, I can't really complain.

Damn ALL GONE!

'Er indoors advised me that if I buy even one more jersey (free or not) I'm likely to find myself in the ER having coat hangers pulled out of my Assos for the rest of the season.

Maybe it was too good to be true?
Today my order was cancelled with no explanation and money refunded.

Now listed as 20% off RRP instead of 100%, though it continues to be listed as "Castelli Free Cycling Jersey Full Zip". Probably was an error by someone messing around with the article database.

Time to face book campaign?

Castelli Free Cycling Jersey Full Zip
Castelli have a "Free" product range - I think suggesting free movement rather than free price, but rather amusing that someone at Merlin stuffed-up the price. It wasn't the only item that it happenned to. There was a full skin suit at 100% off that had been hammered, and sold out, in the few minutes before I posted up this item.

As an aside, in the UK it is illegal to not sell an item at the price advertised. They would have had to fullfill any orders from UK residents rather than just cancel them.

Castelli have a "Free" product range - I think suggesting free movement rather than free price, but rather amusing that someone at Merlin stuffed-up the price. It wasn't the only item that it happenned to. There was a full skin suit at 100% off that had been hammered, and sold out, in the few minutes before I posted up this item.

As an aside, in the UK it is illegal to not sell an item at the price advertised. They would have had to fullfill any orders from UK residents rather than just cancel them.

Naw not true as long as you first withdraw the product from sale before repricing.
There are exemption clauses for obvious honest mistakes in pricing where the advertised price is inconsistent with RRP etc. I ran a record shop years back, and sometimes the staff would stick the wrong prices on. In one case a staff member priced up a Charley Patton box set for a tenner when it was worth 90 quid. Some guy kicked up a fuss when I refused to sell it at the marked price, so I got trading standards (their office was in the town hall across from the shop) to pop round and set the guy straight. Common misconception, but a misconception nonetheless.
We had a lot of problems in the days before barcoded pricetags appeared where shifty blighters would peel off the stickers and swap them round to get a discount. We just withdrew them from sale and repriced them as the law allows us to do. Web sales are no different nowadays for the most part as the T+C are written to delay the "contract" part of the sale happening until after the price and quantity has been verified. Back in the early days of web commerce it was a mess though - the contract was seen as complete as soon as you'd sent payment, thereby legally binding the vendor to selling at the price displayed.

Saying that, some companies do honour mislabeled prices as they feel that it's worth it to avoid the likely brand damage that may occur as a result of refunding/withdrawl. That's why big airlines usually honour stupid shit like free flights. Not worth the PR hassle of refusing them.

Thank you bawbag....good explanation. Nothing to go crazy on "face book" about, it was just an honest mistake by a shop.

Naw not true

I stand corrected! After your post I checked in with a couple of consumer websites and all confirm your point about the delayed "point of contract" - http://www.bitterwallet.com/why-dont-retailers-have-to-honour-misprices/53122. Must now correct my dad from telling any more of our family old wives legal tales - ....only thing is, because of what he told me, I bullied a sports store into selling me a decent tennis racquet for next to nothing a few years back...:p

Back
Top Bottom