What's new

Frame Size

NessOvi

Warming-Up
Jun 3, 2019
Hello, I am a newbie and I was just wondering what is the correct frame size for a 184cm guy? Cause I have a 500mm frame right now and I've read online it should be about 570mm. I just want to clarify, thanks!

50 cm is way, way, way too small, several sizes in fact. I reckon 56-58 cm would be a good starting point, but you need to take into account arm and leg length. For example, I have long arms, so I need a larger frame than my body height would suggest (1,78 m) and a longer stem. So you should test ride different sizes — if you can, I know that this is very tricky in Japan. At most demo events the largest size they have is usually 54 cm, though.

For reference, I am 188cm.
I ride between a 58 & 61cm frame (depending on manufacturer).
Height can only ballpark your size. Like said before, you can use a bike fit calculator to figure out a little better.
Your proportions, flexibility, preferences and even your purpose will give you different size frames.
My old commuter was a 56 CX bike. It gave me a position to better see traffic.

I'm 182cm and ride a 56 road bike. It's fine for me.

If you live in Tokyo, I'd go to Y's Road for a basic fit. It's only a 1000 yen and you get your money back if you buy a bike from them. Other proper bike shops will be able to do something sImilar.

I'd go further tha @stu_kawagoe: I wouldn't buy a bike from a shop that doesn't do a bike fit. Proper fit is so much more important than frame material, groupset or wheels.

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely take this into account when buying my next bike. Since I just bought the 500mm frame one lol...

I'm 182cm and ride a 56 road bike. It's fine for me.

If you live in Tokyo, I'd go to Y's Road for a basic fit. It's only a 1000 yen and you get your money back if you buy a bike from them. Other proper bike shops will be able to do something sImilar.

Stu, will Y's road let you bring in an existing bike you have to have you fitted/optimized to it? If I were to upgrade wheels on that, would they permit it? I know some LBD won't do any work on bikes not bought in their shops.

Stu, will Y's road let you bring in an existing bike you have to have you fitted/optimized to it? If I were to upgrade wheels on that, would they permit it? I know some LBD won't do any work on bikes not bought in their shops.

Here's the Y's Fit page. Costs 13,000 yen and takes about an hour and a half. I think you just make an appointment and show up on the given day.

I do my bike fit leaning against the wall but I'm tempted to give this a try at that price. If you do go ahead with this, please let me know how it goes:)

Edit - I had the Light Fit (1000 yen) when I went to Y's Road when I was looking at bikes (the one to find out the frame size you need).

Last edited:
Here's the Y's Fit page. Costs 13,000 yen and takes about an hour and a half. I think you just make an appointment and show up on the given day.

I do my bike fit leaning against the wall but I'm tempted to give this a try at that price. If you do go ahead with this, please let me know how it goes:)

Edit - I had the Light Fit (1000 yen) when I went to Y's Road when I was looking at bikes (the one to find out the frame size you need).

Thanks @stu_kawagoe , seriously considering this!

Back
Top Bottom