What's new

Fork replacement - any ideas?

This is the damage in question. It was caused by one of those easily detachable short mudguards (I think).

It looks like it is only cosmetic and at the first glance the layers seem to be intact. But since it is the fork, I am a bit concerned.

I became even more worried especially since I do not wear a helmet.

Do you choose not to wear one or do you find it difficult to afford one?

Protecting your head with a good bike helmet is really important. Please minimize the risk of serious injuries to your face, head or brain or even death.

If you can't afford a helmet, I wonder if any of the forum members have an old one that they no longer need that might fit you. What size head do you have?

Protecting your head with a good bike helmet is really important. Please minimize the risk of serious injuries to your face, head or brain or even death.

If you can't afford a helmet, I wonder if any of the forum members have an old one that they no longer need that might fit you. What size head do you have?

I agree with you Joe, but I do not choose to push my choice on others. I wear a helmet, I recommend it, but, that is as far as I go:D

This is the damage in question. It was caused by one of those easily detachable short mudguards (I think).

I'll wait for Tim S to chime in, but I too think you have little to worry about. To be on the safe side, maybe we could use some thin epoxy to soak into that spot to build the strength up again?

I'd be willing to help if you like, I'm in Shinjuku.

Cheers!

With most of the forks being made in Asia these days, you'd think they'd bring out a more traditional version and call them chopsticks© !!! :D

Nothing to worry about that fork. At least from the picture. It's just a scuff mark - I doubt it even goes through the gelcoat. Like Stu says - if you want it cosmetically perfect, then wet sand it slightly and use a little epoxy repair paste to seal it. Then finish it down to match the surrounding profile and touch up with some automobile touchup paint. Actually, I'd probably do nothing except feather it out and use some touchup paint.

Thanks for all the replies Also thank you Tim and StuInTokyo for your offer to help me fixing it. I will surely stop by when I'm in Tokyo.

How about the Al forks? Everyone seems to be very quiet about those :)

Thanks very much for the concern. To be honest I have been thinking of getting a helmet. Every time I ride on a day like today, I think of buying one. I guess I will have to stop by a LBS (there is actually only one in my town) and see what they have. :)

For several years I was travelling to California for business and while over there, my means of transport was always a bicycle that a friend lent to me while I was in town. Not only that, he also bought me a helmet because he wanted me to be safe. Whenever he saw cyclists on the local bike path not wearing a helmet, he used to call out: "Brain bucket!"

So a couple of years ago I also got myself a helmet for use here in Japan with my then MTB.

2 1/2 weeks ago I managed to crash my current bike due a stupid mistake (trying to climb from the road onto the sidewalk at too high speed for the angle with narrow, high pressure tyres) and hit the sidewalk (concrete slabs) with my head, shoulder and knee.

Two weeks later my cuts and bruises have completely healed, but I would have been in much worse shape if the helmet hadn't taken the bulk of the head impact: It does make a difference if your helmet visor touches the concrete first or your nose does...

I think everyone who rides has their own 'I'm glad I was Wearing a Helmet' story. A helmet is not likely to save your life if you're hammered by another vehicle going 70+ kph, or go careening off the edge of a cliff. But it will sure help in those accidents just like Joe had. And you'd be surprised how many of those end up in a coffin.

Incidentally, the world's first bicyclist circumnavigator wore a helmet. And wrote about a few incidents where it saved his noggin, if not his life.

I raced and toured for years with and without helmet. But the various cycling federations always demanded head protection in any track or circuit event. We were very quick to adopt them - and especially the first hardshell Giros. I remember alot of riders going down and getting sliced up pretty good. Brake levers gashing into your skull is not a pretty sight.

Thanks very much for the concern. To be honest I have been thinking of getting a helmet. Every time I ride on a day like today, I think of buying one. I guess I will have to stop by a LBS (there is actually only one in my town) and see what they have. :)

Decide quickly. `I`m glad I had a helmet` is a much better thing to say after the event than `I wish I was wearing a helmet`.

Although I can say that I went through the "I'm to tough! I'll ride brakeless with no helmet" stage. Smacking my head into a tree and smashing a helmet on a side walk a couple times has taught me that a helmet is a good thing. Helmets are life and brain cell savers and thats about sums it up. Wear a helmet or suffer the consequences sooner or later.

Bartek--check your private messages, upper right.

Bartek--check your private messages, upper right.

Just read it. Thanks. I can't open the links where I am right now though. Some websites are blocked. I'm gonna take a look at it when I get home later.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom