What's new

Ride VeloViewer tiling in Japan

Looks like you missed the tiles located on Higashi-ōgishima East Park 'island' (is that the dead-end you're talking about?); there's a hidden under-water tunnel that goes there from Chidori Park, very easy to miss; very eerie, long tunnel.

View attachment 17194
Where would I find the entrance to this tunnel to Ogishima island inside of Chidori Park? Is it well signposted?

I might visit a couple of remaining tiles in Kawasaki soon...

Isn't it weird the way some hobbies start off with dabbling and then just go belly up all over the shop. Walking is fine. Decides a bike might save some time getting from a to b. Felt refreshed somehow. Repeated. Took a detour today and called down to a mate I hadn't seen in a while. Convinced him to come out for a beer on the river. Saw the sunset. Amazing. Repeated the following few weeks. A guy at work overheard me talking about bikes, met him. Did 50km. Saw some great views. He conviced me to get different pedals. Need a water bottle too. Would be nicer in more relaxed clothes. Started using my phone to see where I went. Mate invited me to this thing called strava. Unbelievable how fast some folks go. Out with 6 lads last Sunday. Climbed this beast of a mountain. Total blast. Need a lighter bike to keep up though. Got a medal on Strava. Gonna chase a local segment. I'm sure I could KOM it as its not that popular. Ah. KOM was taken, currently thinking of some aero wheels. Remember that bloke I met for a beer? He got this gravel bike. Looks amazing. Asked me to check out some patches with him. Can't believe where we ended up. Buckets of fun. Heard this expression called n+1. Makes perfect sense. My mate kept talking about tiling. No idea what he is talking about. Followed him out on an "adventure". He told me about this tiling software and I'm checking it out now. I seem to have a max square of 9. There is a ride down by the navy base where I could possibly have a short swim and complete an extra tile to give me 10. Currently trying to make it back to shore. Damn current keeps dragging me out. How did I end up here...

Where would I find the entrance to this tunnel to Ogishima island inside of Chidori Park? Is it well signposted?
...kinda. Look for 人道入口

As you'll see and hear, we're not supposed to cycle through the tunnel. This is patently ridiculous.

Every time I've been, there's been a brass band practicing in the park on the island side. They're pretty good.

I take it the western part of the island (beyond Ogishima-Ohashi), where JFE, Tokyo Gas and several other companies have plants is inaccessible to the public, outside of the expressway that runs through its center? Google Maps says: "This route has restricted usage or private roads." It appears one can't get there except by passing through a JFE plant gate.

Last edited:
I take it the western part of the island (beyond Ogishima-Ohashi), where JFE, Tokyo Gas and several other companies have plants is inaccessible to the public, outside of the expressway that runs through its center?

If Mike doesn't have it, it pretty much can't be had unless you have a kayak handy.

Not a kayak, but I have access to a rubber dinghy ;)
One does not simply paddle into Mordor. Not even sure where you'd be able to launch... maybe the mud flats at the end of Tamagawa.

I have contemplated trying to find a bar where the JFE security guards hang out; buy them drinks and try to blag a tour of the fire pits. Or steal a uniform. There are bicycles over there, presumably for staff transport. Face might be a giveaway, though.

There are many more of these impossitiles™ on the Chiba side of the bay, too. Silver lining is that they don't make much difference for a maxsquare. I think this is the only one in Kanagawa. And all of mainland Tokyo-to is tileable.

Ah, the scenic coast of Kawasaki; famously the bit of land between Tokyo and Yokohama that neither wanted.

Google ChromeSnap 001.png

Yep - I got off my motorbike on the expressway and did a little dance in the road. No regrets.

Last edited:
On Wednesday I decided to take the bull by the metaphor and embark on a combined ride/hike that would etch a little into @Karl's Golden Tile territory of Tanzawa (sorry, mate).

I expected it was going to be tough, and I was right. But with my exciting new 40T rear cassette I figured the rindō would at least be a little easier than before. Maybe the tubeless tires would make a difference? (Did, but not in a good way.)

The out-and-back hike @Karl did was 10 km. Too much for me at the moment.

Google ChromeSnap 001.png

So I wanted to shorten the hike, by riding as close as possible to the bit of trail I needed. Figured there must be a way to get from the end of the road up to the ridge. Why walk when you can ride? It worked, but it was tough going - an unofficial trail on loose rocks that goes voom! straight up.

Google ChromeSnap 002.png

Well, this is TCC not THC so I won't bore you with too many details of the trail, how badly I underestimated how much water I need to carry, and consequently how very glad I was to find the shop/restaurant/hut just after the peak of Hinokikobamaru.

The rindō cycling was great. The hiking was tough for me. But job done - little untidy lonely tile patches tidied. My sore muscles and joints will heal.

6T.gif

tinyphotos.jpg

Well done!

My precioussssss.... golden tiles are disappearing! Gonna have to get off my duff and get back up in those hills pretty soon before all is lost.

Little jaunt with a friend in Chiba on Saturday, during which I tidied-up a few lonely tiles.

I'd ridden some of the route before, having led a longer ride for Half-Fast Cycling several years ago. (I probably copied it originally from @Musashi13 or another Bōsō regular - can't remember.) It was nice to revisit, especially the long rolling rindō ridge on the return leg. Cutting across in the middle from east to west involved some steep climbs - but that's where the tiles were to be found. There were lots of cyclists out and about.

PhotosSnap 001.jpg
If you're interested in geology, you probably know about this place already. We stumbled upon a spot in Ichihara called "Chibanian" - earlier this year Chibanian was formally adopted as the name of a geologic age spanning 770,000 to 126,000 years ago. Minerals exposed on a cliff along the Yoro River clearly show that the last known reversal of the Earth's magnetic fields occurred at the beginning of this period. We only dropped by because we were hungry - there was a stall selling salt-baked ayu-on-a-stick.

hondaloop.gif

Speaking of 'being back,' I noticed that @Gok is sneakily doing some tiling without filing the mandatory tiling report on this thread. This has been noted by the Tile Reporting Oversight Committee, and they are not pleased. :mad:

No offence to the committee members. I thought my puny tiling attempts were no match for tiling overlords over here (Also I'm a lazy bum bum).

So, given the surprise clear weather on Saturday, I decided to head into the mountains. No river paths, no city riding, no tiling (gasp!), no pre planned routes.... just good old mountain roads and just ride and see where the roads take me. Hadn't done a good adventure ride in months!

Got off at Musashi Itsukaichi st. and headed down route 33 (Hinohara Kaido). Conveniently dodged the route leading to Kazahari (nope!), took a left to the road leading to Route 18 (Uenohara).

1592895064771.png

Just then, the tiling bug kicked in and I decided to only check ONCE if there are any grab-able tiles around. Turns out, there were plenty.

1592894622115.png

This 'ONCE" turned to a 'ONE HUNDRED TIMES' as I went onto route 18 (Tsuru pass) all the way to 'Tabayama' chasing tiles around, randomly. Hit route 139 and decided to grab a few tiles on a rindo, grabbed a couple and turned back (it was very muddy). Then went on to Okutama River which also had some unexplored tiling opportunities.

At Okutama station.... decided to check out Nippara caves (I knew they were closed, I was in it for the tiles!). This turned out to be an excellent road; gentle gradient, no cars and stunning cloudy weather.

1592895283177.png

Beyond Nippara Caves, there were a few remote tiles for which I had to sneak past a construction crew and a fence (and a couple hundred warnings):

1592895359581.png

1592895386303.png

Cruised back to Oku-tama and rinko-ed myself back to Yokohama. Gluttony ensued.

@Gok Heck of a ride! Nice write up. (The committee approves.)

So, if I wanted to bag the tiles up around the Nippara caves, I'd best wait for a Sunday when the construction crews are gone?

And @Half-Fast Mike Is the tile up by the stone quarry also best done on a Sunday?
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 16.45.39.png

So, if I wanted to bag the tiles up around the Nippara caves, I'd best wait for a Sunday when the construction crews are gone?
My strategy for success on that rindō was to get there before 06:00 (having once been denied passage). It worked, and I was back before 08:00. The tunnel construction crew were assembling, but waved me through on my way down. I need to go back up there to hike the tile NW of the end of the rindō because the trail promised by the map from Chichibu side is long-gone. It's a nice rindō - or at least it was before last year's storms.

Google ChromeSnap 001.jpg
And @Half-Fast Mike Is the tile up by the stone quarry also best done on a Sunday?
I went on a Wednesday and don't remember having any problems with that road.

Back
Top Bottom