What's new

Ride VeloViewer tiling in Japan

Had planned to sit out this weekend and do some road cycling vs. bike/hike combo...but... duty calls.

This is on tap for Saturday. https://www.strava.com/routes/18839555

The hiking portion looks like this... https://www.komoot.com/tour/68630457

Arriving Yaga early morning. Ride up to the hike, do hike (about 10 km, approx 4.5 hours), ride to a couple more tiles, return to Yaga. Once again, depending on mood, either rinko back from Yaga, or bike to Shin-Matsuda and rinko back from there, or ride back via the route above.

Open to anyone. If interested, meet at Yaga station at 8:20 am.

@sean-e Bummer. I would have finally stood a chance of outrunning you should a bear show interest in chasing us. :eek:

If anyone was thinking of joining the previously mentioned ride/hike, contact me before 8:00 pm tonight. If I don't hear from anyone, I may head north instead.

Solo effort today. Rewarded by finishing off the last of the mountain tiles I had been eyeing for so long. (Max square 25x25)

Also saw a couple snakes (where was Sean when I needed him?), one of them was possibly a yamakakashi. Inquiring minds can look here https://www.strava.com/activities/2413459320 to see if the snake ident is correct.

I think I'm hiked out for a while. Every time is a different experience though.

I always thought the poisonous snakes in Japan were of a few colors?

I don't know much about the snakes here, but I'm thinking I'd best get up to speed. The one in the picture does have colors. Green head, reddish coloration around the neck. Another poisonous snake, the mamushi, is grayish with some white coloration on its belly. From what I gather, the poisonous snakes aren't necessarily multi-colored.

Nice find on the snake @Karl ! Fortunately the internet says yamakagashi are only dangerous if you let them chew on you for a while with their back teeth... so don't let that happen :)

Hello, fellow crazies.

I got a bunch of new tiles on the Knights In White Lycra four-day ride:

Day 1
Takasaki to Yuzawa
121 km (+40T)

Day 2
Yuzawa to Niigata
155 km (+92T)

Day 3
Niigata to (in theory) Aizu-wakamatsu - ridiculous strong winds forced cancellation not long in
44 km then 8 km after train ride (+23T)

Day 4
Aizu-wakamatsu to Fukushima
106 km (+53T)

Lots of beautiful scenery. Not many of those tiles will end up in my Square - or even my Cluster. Need to get back into obsessing. But G20 at the end of the month followed by a week in China will delay my territorial expansion for a while longer...

I think you go for the zest in life. That is gem we all like to find in life.

Depending on the weather, this is probably my next outing this coming weekend. Lots of climbing and a 4 km hiking section. Will confirm the day/time later in the week as the weather firms up.

https://www.strava.com/routes/15043913

Although the weather report is calling for rain, I'm going to go ahead with this ride on Saturday (since I didn't ride yesterday due to the weather report and it turned out to be a beautiful day :merde:). The ride starts at Yaga station, probably around 8:30 or so. If there are any takers, let me know by 7:00 tonight. Otherwise, have a great weekend.

Although the weather report is calling for rain, I'm going to go ahead with this ride on Saturday (since I didn't ride yesterday due to the weather report and it turned out to be a beautiful day :merde:). The ride starts at Yaga station, probably around 8:30 or so. If there are any takers, let me know by 7:00 tonight. Otherwise, have a great weekend.

Did you do this ride @Karl ?

Now that the rainy season is nearly over, time to get back up in the mountains. Headed up to Yamakita area to pick up some tiles and get my head straight. Got to Yaga at 7:37. Headed up to Yamakita with a minor detour to pick up a tile. TILE DENIED. The route was up to a construction area and I had 5 different folks in about 2 minutes telling me I can't ride there while I was checking my phone for options. OK. Turn around, it is.

Headed on up past the lake and got to the trails. Based on Routebuilder, I expected asphalt for most of today's stuff. Nope. All gravel. Was thinking this would be the perfect route for @luka to christen his new gravel bike. Had 700x35s on today and needed wider tires with knobbies. This route was pretty deserted. Almost no hikers. Did see lots of deer... probably 10-15, including a cute little fawn with mom. Also a little baby snake about a foot long. Black head, bright yellow around the neck, the rest was green. Also saw some unidentified varmint that looked a lot like an opossum. Have no idea what they call them here. So... with all that nature, despite the wet and sloppy conditions, it was a great day. Nine new tiles added to the collection.

Inquiring minds can find the route and a couple pics here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2546908326

All gravel.
that photo is more of a rock garden there! would be great to see all that wildlife, but I'm not sure if I'd be OK going alone to such a deserted place. anyway, seems like you had a blast. my gravel bike is still not gonna be complete for another 2-3 weeks at least, not without a frameset eh

Parts of the trail were rocky, then soupy, then gravely. Did a fair bit of walking. Especially where the trail becomes a hiking trail. I figure you will be closer to the gravel up north around Tokigawa. Plenty of gravel to go around.

Back
Top Bottom