What's new

Ride VeloViewer tiling in Japan

Komoot ... Have you tried it?

Just signed up for an account. They want money for the Komoot offline maps, which - at least for Japan - seem to just be another version of OSM.

And I think OSM, rather than Stravr itself, is the root cause of my 'no road here' issue.

F'rinstance, yesterday my biggest hiccough was the road highlighted green. It simply doesn't exist. Maybe it once did. Or maybe some OSM contributor/prankster put it in by mistake or as a joke. But every route planning system based on OSM - including Komoot - will quite reasonably offer a route along it.

As you can see from the blue track, I went this way and that trying to find the way through. There isn't one. I found a LOT of mud, though. In the end I went back down and around the hill. Lost 20 min or so pissing about up there. (The blank line/'trail' just to the south doesn't exist, either.)

Google ChromeScreenSnapz001.png

It's fairly obvious, in hindsight, from the satellite views, that there's no road. (Orange is the original plan; green, my track.)

Having hit upon the wheeze of importing things into Google Earth Pro, I'll be making more use of that tool in advance of explorer rides in future - with a special focus on sketchy shortcuts.

Google Earth ProScreenSnapz001.png

how long before the Boso falls
lots of Chiba cycling in your future
All your tiles are belong to me ;-) ... but I'm very happy to share.

Instead of just grumbling, I've registered with https://www.openstreetmap.org/ and edited the problems I encountered.

I played around with Komoot yesterday. Created a route that I ride often. It correctly identified the one section that is gravel. I'll check a couple more troublesome routes that Route Builder gave me and see what Komoot comes up with.

Didn't know you could edit the OSM maps. One more thing I'll have to learn to do.

I think that from now on I'll also be taking time to check my longer and dodgier route plans on Google Maps, using that method you showed us. I was looking at some things up in the mountains and deciding whether to try certain routes or not and the Google Maps made it pretty easy to figure out the reality of what I was considering. So, thank for that.

Reactions: Gok
Here's how to become an expert tiler:

1) Invest first 3 weekdays trying to come up with a perfect route that captures maximum number of tiles and possibly increases your Max Square..
2) Invest a further 2 days trying to refine the route to capture even more tiles.
3) Come Friday, give your route finishing touches.
4) Over complicate your route whilst finalizing it.
5) Over think it while trying to simplify your route.
6) Saturday early morning: Check weather/wind forecast.
7) Go on a completely random ride along the wind direction.
8) Come home and curse your self.
9) Monday: Start making a new route.

Here's how to become an expert tiler:

1) Invest first 3 weekdays trying to come up with a perfect route that captures maximum number of tiles and possibly increases your Max Square..
2) Invest a further 2 days trying to refine the route to capture even more tiles.
3) Come Friday, give your route finishing touches.
4) Over complicate your route whilst finalizing it.
5) Over think it while trying to simplify your route.
6) Saturday early morning: Check weather/wind forecast.
7) Go on a completely random ride along the wind direction.
8) Come home and curse your self.
9) Monday: Start making a new route.
Ssssh. Not so loud, mate, or everyone will want one.

[Napoleonically plots next stage in Chiba Conquest Campaign]

And yes - I see those two on the breakwater. I'll get 'em - they're just not routable.

Google Earth ProScreenSnapz001.png

Inflatable raft....... just in case. You can easily keep it in your saddle bag!

Meanwhile i'll try to head to this area:

View attachment 17267
Some friends did this route a few weeks ago. I couldn't join, but it looked nice and with a little modification could work for collecting your tiles. (Make a copy if you want one, as I might delete it when I'm done with it.)

Snap001.png

Hey thanks!

Copied. Now to over-complicate it and then abandon it for another day. ;)

It was 0.0ºC when I woke up at 06.00 this morning. I really didn't feel like riding my bike. By 07.30 it was a comparatively balmy 2ºC, and the frozen road surface outside was beginning to slowly thaw. Once the sun came up over the neighbouring houses, I felt more lively and decided to head out after all.

My original plan had been to ride down to Yokohama, but instead I got the train to the nearest station to the first new tile on the ride. By the time I emerged at Motomachi/Chukagai, it was around 7ºC and the north wind had picked-up, as forecast. The north wind was a big factor in doing this (north-to-south) ride today, rather than more east-west stuff in Chiba.

I'd also reckoned that a Sunday or holiday Monday would be best for this ride, with hopefully minimal truckery - especially on the wharves in Yokohama. This turned out well.

I still can't quite believe:

1. The highest point on the ride was only 135 m. It felt much longer & higher than that going up to Shonan International Village.
2. How many lies Stravr Route ßuilder told about how to get onto the Jogashima bridge. Stravr be like "Ride here, it's totally a road." (It isn't.) "OK, how about down here. Now you're at the bridge. Just jump 30 m into the air..." (I can't.)

So glad I went out, though.

New tiles: 28 (total now 8398)
Max cluster: + 59 (total now 2824)
Max square: unchanged at 45 x 45

Stravr

Photos on Google (starts with the scary guy on the train)

Google ChromeScreenSnapz001.png

Nice pics. I especially like the one where it appears you dead-ended into the bushes. Maybe time to start a thread called "Thank you Strava," to accumulate all the pics where the Route Builder sends us down routes that aren't routes.

You're a better man than I am. I'm waiting for better weather and improved ankle to continue my quest. I did manage to use the day productively though and got my bikes washed, lubed and properly fiddled with so they are ready when I am.

Your max cluster is getting massive and with the new surge into Chiba, your max square will end up covering all of Kanto. Impressive.

Guys... I finally got this stubborn tile (only just). Just a bit of running around the beach (as @Karl suggested) and I barely got it. I guess the high tide didn't help.
No my OCD can rest in peace (for now).

1550450193142.png

1550450336880.png

1550450428653.png

1550450482808.png

Congrats! Tiling does tend to bring out the OCD in us, eh?

Speaking of which..... isn't that other tile on Enoshima island gettable? :eek:

Speaking of which..... isn't that other tile on Enoshima island gettable?
You're 'enabling', aren't you. (I approve.) Totally tileable. I don't have it either. Going back would only increase the cluster by 1, so it's not high on the list of priorities. Yet. But it's been more than 10 years since I went to Enoshima. Maybe I'll do a group ride in the Kamakura area and sneak in a tile ;-)

Congrats! Tiling does tend to bring out the OCD in us, eh?

Speaking of which..... isn't that other tile on Enoshima island gettable? :eek:

Here we go again.... ;)

It's gettable. Just head to the southern most Parking lot on the island. Actually, the adjacent tile on the left can also be had! :p
Just need to sift through hordes of tourists.... onto the rocky waterfront...

The Chigasaki tile was very important to me since it completes the bottom-most row of my Max Square. Next target is Nakai area..... but I absolutely hate rinko-ing.

Next target is Nakai area..... but I absolutely hate rinko-ing.
You're doing great. Before long, a trip along the Karasawa-rindō seems on the cards. Gate up!! Easy day ride for you.

I bet you're glad you recorded all those old hikes - you've plenty of tiles out in Tanzawa that are only accessible on foot.

But what's the problem with rinkō-portage?

181021-04.jpg

... I absolutely hate rinko-ing.

I don't like it much either, but have decided to do more of it so I don't have to slog through the gray-matter for so long before I get to the good stuff. It isn't too bad for me since I can just hop on the Odakyu and be at Hadano in 50 minutes.

Just heard about plans for a new cycling-friendly AirBNB opening in the spring; an ideal base for my long-awaited assault on the mountain tiles of northern Gunma.

Can't say much more at this stage, but I'm excited about this.

View attachment 17347

Note to Half-Fast Mike.... If you want to keep your secret base secret, better not to label the pin "Secret Base.":rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom