Ride For any TCC 'tilers'

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
-10C? Sleeping in a bivy?? Carrying your bike up a trail??? Another epic adventure! Well done! I enjoy reading about it but having camped out in mid winter in Kansas for a couple weeks, I no longer have the urge to challenge old man winter.

So, are you recording your tiles these days?

Reactions: Kangaeroo

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
Took advantage of the good weather and did a trip down to Shuzenji and then back up to Mishima.

Discovered a couple roads that I'd recommend to anyone wanting to go from Gotemba to Mishima on a well-paved, almost-no-traffic road, and another road from Shuzenji to Atami ..Route 80 (which someone on this board had recommended).

Climbing out of Gotemba had traffic as usual up 411. I turned off 411 and went down an abandoned road with lots of abandoned buildings and condos. I guess someone overestimated the demand for condos with a beautiful view of Fuji. This section of the road took me to a country club and I found myself riding on a golf cart track for a bit, until I connected up with the paved road some way down the mountain. But once I got past that, it was smooth sailing all the way to Mishima. One of the nicest roads I've been on. Highly recommended if you don't mind some ups and downs. No more than one or two cars passed me.

After reaching the Mishima environs, it was back to riding on busy roads with not much shoulder till I got to Shuzenji.

I overnighted at a ryokan in Shuzenji then started Day 2's riding at 9:30. Things started well. Got on route 80 (which I highly recommend). Beautiful scenery, little traffic. So, I'm climbing up to the pass and I'm 500 meters from the top with what should have been a long descent into Atami (reward for the climb). But 'NO!' Right there was a painting crew. Bikes were 'Dame.' Thanks guys!! "No biggie," I thought. OK, I'll just go down the mountain a bit and come back up on the pass another way. Problem is, there is no other way that doesn't include using the Skyline road. I thought that maybe, since I'd only be on it for about 5km, maybe, just maybe I could talk the toll-booth-oji into letting me pass... but 'NO!' Since I'd now climbed that mountain twice, and the second time included some rindo, I wasn't in the mood to do it again, and I didn't see any better chance to get over it and down to Atami, so Plan B. Decided to bag it and descended to Mishima. Took the train back from there. Beautiful weather and I had hoped to try the east coast of Izu from Atami up to Odawara by bike, but it wasn't to be... this time. But, "I'll be back!"

Plus 40T and some beautiful views of Fuji and the countryside of Izu. A great time was had by all.

AB882D8C-EC28-44E1-B67F-5A39F7A285BB_1_105_c.jpeg 094D2849-BC65-4534-AEC0-A34765B8230C_1_105_c.jpeg

748AB78E-7B21-4103-95E4-C4862F5BF873_1_105_c.jpeg FAC3A44A-5E87-457F-8A6C-3476271F1B36_1_105_c.jpeg 606B8F5A-C2AD-427B-B2B2-46E9F0B8CC4C_1_105_c.jpeg

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
View attachment 19547

Set up the bivy. As night fell, the temperature immediately started to plummet. The lowest I saw on the garmin was -10C. No wind at first, amazingly silent up there.
Brushed the ice from condensation off the bivy, starting hustling downhill to warm up. Still was a chilly and rocky descent back the same way down south nokogiri.
@sean-e Still can't believe you did this ride/hike overnight in those temps in the mountains. Very impressed. Also, wondering what bivy you used.

Reactions: Kangaeroo