Ride For any TCC 'tilers'

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
For anyone who has the Velotile-bug, I'm planning this ride/scramble for a date TBD (when things dry out a bit). It should bag some of those hard to get tiles. At the 60km mark a bit of a scramble would bag two more tiles, but have to follow a river bed, so who knows what will happen. No idea how bad the trails might be. Expect mud, washouts, etc. etc. etc. Great fun! If anyone wants to go along, let me know. I figure I'll do this sometime in mid October.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
I think a couple of people have had problems (with gate guards) getting onto that road to the west of the lake, but that was a long time ago and I only half-remember their stories. Anyway I'd potentially be up for this ride. I haven't done much in Tanzawa since it became clear that nothing south of Uenohara contributes to my Max Square. But some recent group rides have reminded me now nice it is.

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
Well, if the gate guards make it impossible to get up there, I will probably just get on 76 and do that pass again. I still need one tile from up that way. I put some Continental 35c tires on my Surly, so hopefully I'll have better luck with the soupy stuff up there.

Now, if only the weather will cooperate.

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
Veloviewer program associated with Strava splits up the map into squares/tiles. Idea is to ride to as many tiles as possible. Once you 'touch' it, it changes color on your map. Think Pokemon-go for bikers. I enjoy it since it gives me a reason to go to places I have never been.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
There are two main challenges (distributed over time and space) associated with tiling - the Max Square and Max Cluster. Max Square is about making the largest square (e.g., 2 x 2, 14 x 14) of the little tiles that you can. Max Cluster is about making the largest group of connected tiles that you can. There are no prizes! As @Karl says, it's about going to new places... usually after poring obsessively over maps to make sure we don't accidentally miss one.

Lots more information here: https://blog.veloviewer.com/introducing-the-explorer-cluster-and-configurable-explorer-visuals/

This is by no means the only thing that the Veloviewer web app does. It provides all sorts of creative ways to aggregate, visualise and analyse one's Stravr data. Well worth the small annual fee, to me.