What's new

Food for riding - in Japan

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Hey,

I am about to move to Tokyo, so I want to know about the availability of gels and other stuff.

I use either GU or Cliff, shot gels, shot bloks, or the equivalent from GU.

Can I get these things in Tokyo stores?

Tons of weird gel stuff here. Powerbar, Weider, Wasp, Meitan, High-5, Musashino, etc. I haven't seen 'GU' in particular ... Actually Japan has something no other country in the world does, though. CONBINI! Why carry all this junk around when you can stop into any CONBINI and load up on REAL JAPANESE RIDING FUEL:

- Tuna Mayo Onigiri
- Yaki Imo
- Lychee Salt Drink
- Boss Liquid Crack
- A billion kinds of Unkon and Super Salaryman Drinks
- A thousand (at least) Jellies, Custards and other stuff
- REAL GOLD
- Black Thunder
- Honey 'sticks'

Plus , most of the roads have vending machines with plenty of selections of liquid octane boosters, crack-in-a-can, water, sports drink, etc.

Thanks then I'll be fine with the weird gel companies I have never heard of...
;)

I've never seen clif bars in shops. But they are buy-able online for fairly extortionate prices. Ordering from abroad is better, not too bad if a bulk order.

bring what you can with you! If you have space I'll take a couple boxes of the clif gel blocks or whatever they are called! :)

Half-Fast Mike told me he orders Cliff Bars in bulk in the US once a year. Maybe if there is demand someone could do a group order from here.

Actually, I'll be in the US myself for one week a week from now...

I place monthly orders with hammer nutrition and get a 40% discount, also I regularly order GU products, love the blueberry pomegranate.

If you have a request let me know.

I'll be in there in a few weeks - but my carry back is gonna be all Mexican Food, baby! How about some Jalapeno - Habanero Gels? And Tequila-Mole Tamale Power Bars?

PM FarEast. He is the Japan representative of High5 sports gels and supplements
They have the best flavor out of anything I have tried and James(FarEast) knows the science behind them. They are all natural.

I've never seen clif bars in shops. But they are buy-able online for fairly extortionate prices. Ordering from abroad is better, not too bad if a bulk order.

bring what you can with you! If you have space I'll take a couple boxes of the clif gel blocks or whatever they are called! :)

Unfortunately they are not sold by box in Canada...

Half-Fast Mike told me he orders Cliff Bars in bulk in the US once a year. Maybe if there is demand someone could do a group order from here.

Actually, I'll be in the US myself for one week a week from now...

Hi Joe, I am not sure about the bars as I can't eat them but the gels have a 3 month shelf life (the ones in Canada), so I can only bring what I will use over the summer-ish period

I place monthly orders with hammer nutrition and get a 40% discount, also I regularly order GU products, love the blueberry pomegranate.

If you have a request let me know.

I will for sure keep this in mind, I have only tried GU one time because it was hard to get here and expensive, but I liked it a lot more than others

Wiggle sells Cliff bars ( peanut butter is best) I always add a box or tires/bar tape to my order to take me over the free shipping level.
:eek:This could explain the mountain of bar tape in my cupboard?

Each to their own but I can't understand why people want to eat gels when riding.

Sure in a race, you want something that's easy to digest and / or will work quickly.

However, when training, why not natural fresh food? Some fruit? Push the boat out and make a sandwich!?

Like Tim says, combinis are everywhere in Japan and have pretty much everything you need. And if it's calories you are looking for, you can't go wrong with the pastries and cakes on offer!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Back
Top Bottom