What's new

Help Flying to Taiwan with bike...

From my experience, Bikes are sporting equipment and will be check in as such for free within you bagage allowance.
With Swiss flying international my check-in allowance was 2 bags, one of which was my bike bag (biknd helium), just check in online before you go to the airport and you don't have to worry about anything, no extra fees and they would even let me skip the line at the bagage drop when they saw my bag.
British air ways I had to add 1pc of checked in bagage as the included allowance was 1pc and I had a suitcase too. Did it all online, paid the same amount as a normal bag.

If you're worried about damage I can highly recommend the Biknd Helium bag, very secure, light and easy to travel with even when I have another suitcase with me + backpack getting on the train out to narita and back was a walk in the park.

It looks like swiss now charges 50 Euro for bikes, which I find quite reasonable.
And...they charge $150 for a tandem, which is super reasonable. I have never seen someone fly with a non-coupler tandem....must be fun to lug around.
Its the USA carriers that are the worst (naturally) and aggressively charge $150 each way which.

All that said, its really up to the mood of the check-in staff. I have been not charged when I should of (thank you cute Delta agent) and have had agents try to charge me when the bike bag was clearly included in checked allowance. So put on a smile, know your facts (always print out a copy of the airlines policy), and be nice...

We are lucky being in Asia as most of the airlines here include bikes in their international or checked allowance. Just be under the weight limit.

Back
Top Bottom