What's new

flying back to new york. shipping? checking?

Murfman

Warming-Up
May 29, 2012
so im finally heading back home. flying out march 6th with ANA.

the thing is i have a snowboard and a bike i want to bring back with me. would it be much cheaper check them and pay the extra checking fee? or does anyone know a good way to ship stuff back.

does anyone know where i could go to have my bike properly packaged into a box small enough to check?

ana says they allow "Total linear dimension is up to 203cm(80in.)"

bike is a 54samson

All information is greatly appreciated.

so im finally heading back home. flying out march 6th with ANA.

the thing is i have a snowboard and a bike i want to bring back with me. would it be much cheaper check them and pay the extra checking fee? or does anyone know a good way to ship stuff back.

does anyone know where i could go to have my bike properly packaged into a box small enough to check?

ana says they allow "Total linear dimension is up to 203cm(80in.)"

bike is a 54samson

All information is greatly appreciated.

ASk your LBS for a bike box, then cut it down to as small as will fit your bike. Pack in clothes and stuff up to 23kgs. Then put on your snowboard as extra equipment but it's sport gear and it's light, they may give you a pass if your smile nicely. Extra bag will cost about 15000 yen.
I imagine shipping would cost more but phone around and ask. Good luck.

ASk your LBS for a bike box, then cut it down to as small as will fit your bike. Pack in clothes and stuff up to 23kgs. Then put on your snowboard as extra equipment but it's sport gear and it's light, they may give you a pass if your smile nicely. Extra bag will cost about 15000 yen.
I imagine shipping would cost more but phone around and ask. Good luck.

thanks for the info but what do you mean by putting on my snowboard? its too long to fit in that box. i was planning on stuffing my snowboard bag with clothes, packing the bike as small as possible and stuffing it with clothes. main worry is them saying its over sized. im unsure of what they mean by the 80in dimensions. has anyone ever done this before without problem?

When I came here, I used two Trice Iron Cases http://www.tricosports.com/iron_case.html

It was for the bikes I wanted the moment i got here.
I shipped the rest with all my household stuff... that took forever.

Delta charged me $100 each for the two bikes.
So the price of shipping... I may have broken even if I wanted it here fast.
I had to buy the cases first (used $200 usd)
then $100 to bring them on the plane.

thanks for the info but what do you mean by putting on my snowboard? its too long to fit in that box. i was planning on stuffing my snowboard bag with clothes, packing the bike as small as possible and stuffing it with clothes. main worry is them saying its over sized. im unsure of what they mean by the 80in dimensions. has anyone ever done this before without problem?

Sports gear doesn't typically have size restrictions, except windsurfers and long boards e.t.c.Biggest worry will be weight.
Sorry , I should have wrote put your snowboard on the weigh in scale. Keep it light as possible and beg the check in crew to give you a pass.

im unsure of what they mean by the 80in dimensions. has anyone ever done this before without problem?

80 linear inches means length plus width plus height (combined). So for example, if the box is 27" tall (wheel size) and 10" wide, it can be a maximum of 43" long to still be under the 80" limit.

Most other airlines have a 62" (157 cm) limit for checked in luggage, usually combined with a 50 lb (23 kg) weight limit, before you start having to pay extra. If you're in business class or have some kind of premier status this could be 70 lb instead.

Last week I flew out here to San Francisco and checked the United Airlines bike policy: Bikes are free on UA if they're below 62" / 50 lb, but count as regular luggage (whose number of pieces free of charge varies by class and status).

80 linear inches means length plus width plus height (combined). So for example, if the box is 27" tall (wheel size) and 10" wide, it can be a maximum of 43" long to still be under the 80" limit.

Most other airlines have a 62" (157 cm) limit for checked in luggage, usually combined with a 50 lb (23 kg) weight limit, before you start having to pay extra. If you're in business class or have some kind of premier status this could be 70 lb instead.

Last week I flew out here to San Francisco and checked the United Airlines bike policy: Bikes are free on UA if they're below 62" / 50 lb, but count as regular luggage (whose number of pieces free of charge varies by class and status).

so you mannaged to fit your bike and all its parts in a 62" box? how did you package it? i am flying ANA which allows 2 free 80" checking bags at 50LB

does anyone know any good bike shops in tokyo or saitama that would have all the stuff i need to safely pack my bike?

Sorry LBS= Local Bike Shop. Kawagoe :You could ask Owen if he can mention your request at Omiya SEO cycles, I think he hangs out there.

Sorry LBS= Local Bike Shop. Kawagoe :You could ask Owen if he can mention your request at Omiya SEO cycles, I think he hangs out there.

ok cool. thanks a lot man, il message him now.

do you know of any in ikebukuro by any chance? thats not a bad ride from here

so you mannaged to fit your bike and all its parts in a 62" box?

My bike fits in a standard size suitcase. However, it is a Bike Friday, a 20" folding bike specifically designed to fit into a standard size Samsonite suitcase (my case is a cheap generic brand that I've had for ages). The fully packet suitcase with bike inside weighed 16 kg.

This feat will be far more difficult if not impossible with a 700C bike. You may be OK with the 80" limit however.

I will be in omiya seo within the hour.

My number is 0804162029 seven.

Call me at 1745pm on the dot and I will sort it for you.

ok cool. thanks a lot man, il message him now.

do you know of any in ikebukuro by any chance? thats not a bad ride from here

THe reason I mentioned Omiya SEO is that it's good to have a local, they'll look after you more than a casual drop in and it's easier to meet up for rides e.t.c.
Can't help with Ikebiukuro, I always rode away from there.

Well, I asked, and they can do it for you.

Go down there and say I sent you.

Back
Top Bottom