What's new

flats vs clipless

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
I shall post this here, as I ride flat pedals and have received ribbing here for using them. On this video, they found there was a difference. Rider PE was 15 (flats) vs 13 at the end of a 10 min test. HR was higher on the flats (180 vs 175), but blood lactate was the same (3.1) and gas exchange was 51 mls per kg per min vs 53. So he was more efficient on the flats. Let the trolling begin.

...at a steady state on a treadmill. I know when I accelerate I'm pulling the crank both ways at once. I couldn't do that with flat pedals. But you have your own way and you are comfortable with it. That's what's important. Haters gonna hate.

Out of interest, as you don't need or want cleats, what kind of shoes do you wear @Sikochi?

Yes, that`s one of the points the rider in the video makes. Definitely, flats lose you power on sprinting. General riding, just my normal trainers (Adidas Adipure Gazelle minimalist running shoe) but put on shoes that have a stiffer sole for events - I don`t have a manufacturer name for them. The sole isn`t as stiff as I would like, but haven`t been able to find a better alternative yet. I loved the BOA laces on my old Specialized road shoe, so the goal is something like that which can be used sans cleats.

Interesting treadmill though. Gimme gimme gimme.

The sole isn`t as stiff as I would like, but haven`t been able to find a better alternative yet.

Googling around a little brings up the names Five Ten (aka 510, 5:10, etc) and Shimano AM40 for cycling shoes for flats. However, I don't immediately see anything about stiffness of soles.

On the test set-up: "We're not actually gaining any elevation, so why does it feel like we're still climbing?" If this gets a straight answer, then it's my brain that's fuzzy.

Back
Top Bottom