What's new

FLAT... river ride!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Saturday, 21st - FLAT... river ride!

I know! I know! Everyone's been hitting the hills, and here I am spouting the "F" word!
The course I have planned is actually not mine at all - Thanks go to Pete (Yamabushi) for this one too - Pete's got quite a repertoire of rides in the bag.
This Saturday, 21st.
Anyway, it's basically a completely flat (there's that "F" word again!) century.
3 Rivers! Arakawa - Tonegawa - Edogawa.
Starting from the usual place (Family Mart, on Rte.17), and heading up the Arakawa as far as Kumagaya. There's a nice little ramen shop there, where we can replace some carbs. From there, we'll head northeast for about 10km until we hit the Tonegawa, and we'll follow it all the way around to where it splits, and we'll come down Edogawa (on the Saitama side), until we get back to Tokyo.
Here's the map:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/114301881/
*Note: The map shows the starting place as my apartment - PLEASE don't come here. We'll meet at the Family Mart!

Time: 8:00 - Roll-out at 8:15
Medium pace, minimum stops.
BTW, It will be HOT! DON'T forget your sunscreen, and two water bottles (if you can manage it).

Any takers?
Travis

Not this weekend :(

Would love to join you on this--especially as the east-side rivers are way closer than many TCC rides--but I'm on morning kid watch which means I wouldn't be able to get out there in time. Probably just head out locally instead.

I'm definitely game if you do another one in the future though!

Shame you can't make it Phil mate!

Would be good to ride with you again, on something a little more flat!

I have loads of time off work now for summer, so let me know when you are free and we can head out together if you fancy.

Nice one.

Owen

Thanks Owen, would've really liked to do this one. Definitely up for a Tone-type ride some time soon, say downstream toward Choshi or something. Haven't been up or down the Tone since before the quake--let's coordinate something?

Actually, that reminds me:

Travis, the Tone river path has been closed in sections upstream and downstream from the Sakura area (the toll bridge that we always use to cross to the Ibaraki side on various TCC rides) while they repair the embankments post-quake. Not sure what the status is now, but the closures made it difficult to get up and down the river in some sections.

Not sure if this applies to any of your Saturday route (you'll be much further upstream than the area I'm talking about), but I mention it in case you haven't scouted those routes in a while...Might be an issue in the castle area, for example(?)

Have a good one,

I was out last Sunday in that heatwave going North from Nerima on Arakawa.
It was seriously Hot. I drank and drank and stopped to pour water over me, and still it almost killed me.

If the weather is anything like last week I would advise an earlier start! like 5.30am!

All set...

Have a good one,
I was out last Sunday in that heatwave going North from Nerima on Arakawa.
It was seriously Hot. I drank and drank and stopped to pour <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">water</a> over me, and still it almost killed me.
If the weather is anything like last week I would advise an earlier start! like 5.30am!

Looks like we're going to have nice cool weather tomorrow - Hopefully, just like today, but without the rain.

Would love to join you on this--especially as the east-side rivers are way closer than many TCC rides--but I'm on morning kid watch which means I wouldn't be able to get out there in time. Probably just head out locally instead.

Thanks for the heads up, Phil. Although, I don't think we'll be heading that far down Tonegawa. As soon as we hit "Sekiyado", we'll head directly south along Edogawa.

So far, it's just me & Owen!
>Owen: See you on Rte.16, at 9:15, buddy!

If anyone else changes their mind and decides to join us, I'll be heading out from the Family Mart on Rte.17: HERE!

Travis - I'm going to try to make this and be a Family Mart (need to clear out some work before hand).

CANCELLED

>Trad: I hope you see this in time!
No ride today. Sorry.

Hope to see you again soon, though.
T

Wait - YellowGiant bailing on the account of rain? Can this be???:p

Ended up going out anyways. Nice weather up until 5km or so below Kumagaya and the clouds started to open up. Pretty heavy rain in places, but I'll take rain in 20 degree weather over 34 C in hot/humid weather.

He (and I) didn't want to get our shiny new frames dirty.

We have seen his, pics of yours?

But it's well known that white is the slowest color in the rain. Red then silver followed by blue and green if you want wet speed.

Short maiden voyage.

>Trad: Sorry about that. Kiwisimon has a point, "white" is definitely the slowest color in the rain. Although, after hearing about that rain in Kumagaya, I don't feel so bad now.

In the end, Pete (Yamabushi) and I went for a quick down Arakawa to Kasai-Rinkai koen, then up Edogawa to Shibamata (my old stomping ground), before finally heading back to Ueno - All up, a very reasonable (and dry) 60km.
There were a few places where we were able to open the taps, blow out the cobwebs, and we held a fairly decent pace in places.

Cheers Pete! See you next week as well, for the Nichitsu ride.
T

No worries Travis. Appreciate the call this morning to let me know the ride was off.. Hope your maiden ride on the new White Giant was awesome.

We have seen his, pics of yours?

owenbike.jpg

Excuse the blue bottle cage; snapped the black one, and they didn't have another black one in the shop. Will replace when I get the chance.

Noticing a definite trend...

... In color schemes!
Black & White... It's the new gray!

7609308178_41716aa4b7_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom