What's new

flat-repairing skill

massa

Warming-Up
Feb 22, 2008
I dare confess that I'm not good at puncture-repairing.
Replacing a tube to new one, on the precess of filling air into the tube, I push pump to hear sound of burst sometimes and loose money for nothing.:eek:uch:
So I wanna ask you guys of prowess your detailed process of doing it. For instances, take off both side of tire from rime, insert tube with or without inflating little bit of air in, or something like that.

hope this helps. http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=100 I carry a tube to swap out and do my repairs at home. Happens sometimes I have to do them on the side of the road, about once every four years or so. practice makes perfect.

Thanks kiwisimon, web site parktool is excellent and helpful with well explained and illustrated.
Twice or three times of a week I have to replace tubes on the side of roads with bursts or slow punctuations. :confused:

Massa-san,
If your tube leaks immediately after you put it into the tyre, then I suspect you are either
a) not removing whatever it was that caused the first puncture;
b) getting the tube caught under the bead of the tyre;
c) pinching the tube with a tyre lever as you are refitting the tyre; or,
d) the replacment tube already has a hole in it.

a) is a simple fix, just feel (carefully!) around the inside of the tyre for something sharp. If you know where the hole is on the tube, it can help you find where the culprit might be.
b) it helps if you put a bit of air into the tube before you fit it in the tyre. Just enough to make the tube take up a round shape. Once you've got the tyre on (both sides), push the bead away from the rim, i.e. towards the centre of the rim. You should not see the tube at all, it should be totally inside the tyre.
c) try to re-fit your tyres by hand if possible. If you put the first bead in the centre of the rim, it usually gives enough slack to get the second bead on. You can also stretch the tyre a bit towards the last bit of bead that you fit, which is always the tightest, by starting opposite this point and pushing the tyre with both hands in opposite directions, around its circumference. If you must use a lever, use a plastic one and make sure the tube is not caught between the lever and the rim or the lever and the tyre bead.
d) keep the valve cap on your spare tube so the valve stem cannot wear a hole in it.

The amount of puncs you're getting is a lot. Are your tyres very old and worn? Check, you may have a sliver of glass in the embedded in the rubber. Also check your rims and rim tape as per the directions on the Park Tools website posted by Kiwisimon.

Also check your rims and rim tape

Rim holes cutting into the tube are a common cause of repeated punctures, I've found. If you use plastic rim strips, (a) make sure that they are wide enough to not slip around on the rim and reveal hole edges and (b) replace them periodically, as they wear thin, stretch into the rim holes, and expose the inner tube to the sharp edges.

Next time you get a puncture, see if the hole is crescent-shaped, on the the inner (rim) side of the tube. Also look for crescent-shaped depressions elsewhere around the tube. Either might suggest that you're getting punctures from the rim holes.

Best solution in my opinion is to use cloth (cotton) tape such as this from Cycle Yoshida. Hard to find in the LBS in Japan, so I order a bunch at a time.

Thank you guys for quickest and nicely explained responses to my inquiry. You're really appreciated.:)

>Alan
Let me try your maneuver from a) to d) according to occasions.
Type c) practice seems to be the hardest, but I'll do it as far as I can. Your 7 minutes replacement reported by Travis is admirable.

> Phil
On the next replacement let me check whole spaces inside of rim and clean it out. And I'll put on VITTORIA 700C cotton tape inside of rim.

Patching is velly tricky

GOOD advise. Let me throw MY oar in.

Plastic filament strapping tape makes good rim strips. Buy a roll of 1 inch and you have a lifetime supply. If your rims are skinnier it splits length wise easily, all the strength in it is long way. Run it around the inside of your rim over lap it some and cut out the stem hole from inside with a sharp pointy thing. I found some very cool red stuff at a dollar store in Toronto. I am not sure how important cool tape is inside your tire though.

With me the problem is not replacing the tube it is PATCHING the tube. So I always REPLACE the tube with a new one and pack a patch kit for my second flat. Then if you make it home on the first repair you can patch it at you leasure in a comfortable environment. Or just chuck it and buy another.

Dead tubes are dead useful for all kine O tings: Bungies, tying together bamboo structures and covering your Break away bike frame etc...

When I was riding the H1 on Oahu I was getting a flat every ride. At least we have no broken glass on the road in Japan.

When I was good I could FX a flat in 5 minutes.

Thanks Todo for suggestion.
5 minutes setup is miracle.

Back
Top Bottom