What's new

Review Fizik Airone CX

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Not so sure yet.

I was riding the Specialized Toupe Pro and this is so different that its tough to compare them, but so far the Fizik is more comfortable, encourages flexibility, and feels solid.

Feel: this may sound odd, it feels like I'm riding on the seat post, that is, it's a very direct feeling between me and the rear wheel. I hit a few large-ish bumps in the road and I was bucked out of the saddle. The Toupe would just feel really harsh like getting wracked in the butt with a wood tray, in a similar situation.

Riding: I can't feel anything below me no matter how I sit, and the saddle has you sitting on your sit bones directly so I feel more comfy in the hoods and drops than with the Toupe. The padding is very hard but it's there so it's not restrictive or annoying but it takes the sting out of road issues.

Sum, it's a saddle that encourages you to ride in an aggressive position, and provides support while managing to disappear underneath you. I would not recommend this saddle for beginners.

I remember seeing a "reviews" section, but I couldn't find it this time.

It's been sitting on the top menu for over a year. Still pristine, lol.

It's been sitting on the top menu for over a year. Still pristine, lol.

You were looking to remove that section, is that right?

I just had a look at it, a bit clunky.... perhaps a sub-forum would suffice? Would imagine it would need some guidelines, but having the ability to add feedback off the back of a review would be handy.

That's what I've been thinking actually! A subforum would probably be a better solution. Will set it up later tonight. :)

Sweet, yeah that would be cool.

How about setting up some criteria for reviews?

-Price
-Where purchased
-Length of time used

etc.

?

What does "riding on the seatpost" mean?

Must say i'm not quite that ummm... adventurous:heyhey:

Each to their own i guess, personally I'll go for keeping the seat on.

Sweet, yeah that would be cool.

How about setting up some criteria for reviews?

-Price
-Where purchased
-Length of time used

etc.

?

Agree with all but the place of purchase may be sticky, don't want to slander anyone... Do we?

What does "riding on the seatpost" mean?

Must say i'm not quite that ummm... adventurous:heyhey:

Each to their own i guess, personally I'll go for keeping the seat on.

Get the joke, but I mean that it feels as though you are riding on the frame with regard to the feedback from the road, yet not in a bad way that leads to pains from "road buzz"

Does that make sense?

SouthParkCircle.jpg

Josh, are the saddles similar in form or very different? I am no expert, but different saddle form could have an effect on the feel. Have you tested both saddles with different adjustment positions?

This summer, I bent the rails on my San Marco "Ponza Power" saddle in a crash so I bought a carbon saddle from Tim *GSAstuto* to replace it. Tim ensured the saddle height and distance from stem were the same as the San Marco when he installed it. I was a very happy camper as the carbon pattern matched my frame perfectly.:happy1:

Well, I could not wait to break the saddle in, so I took it on some short 50k runs along Arakawa, which did not feel bad, but the carbon was not as comfortable as the San Marco. I wanted to see how my bum would hold up on longer rides so I did a 70k jaunt to Kawaguchiko; very painful around 50k as I had blisters forming on my bum. I bought bandages at a convenient store, applied them to affected areas and had no issue completing the ride.:rescue:

I was a bit bummed out about my sore bum, which is no laughing matter. I did not want to invest in yet another saddle so I did some research to find out how saddle shape and positioning affect ride feel. After reading several articles, I knew that I had to adjust my saddle position either forward or backward. Initially, my saddle position was 49cm from stem. I decided to try a forward adjustment of 1.5cm or 47.5cm from stem, which moved my bum further back on the saddle and away from the blistered areas. After the adjustment, I have gone on rides of more than 70k and on hilly terrains with no irritation to my bottom. I am a happy camper once more!:happy1:

Possibly something to do with the design of Tim's carbon saddle.

I too had to set mine rather forward compared to what I was running before.

Yeah, the design is a bit narrower than the San Marco's I had replaced.

Josh, are the saddles similar in form or very different? I am no expert, but different saddle form could have an effect on the feel. Have you tested both saddles with different adjustment positions?

This summer, I bent the rails on my San Marco "Ponza Power" saddle in a crash so I bought a carbon saddle from Tim *GSAstuto* to replace it. Tim ensured the saddle height and distance from stem were the same as the San Marco when he installed it. I was a very happy camper as the carbon pattern matched my frame perfectly.:happy1:

Well, I could not wait to break the saddle in, so I took it on some short 50k runs along Arakawa, which did not feel bad, but the carbon was not as comfortable as the San Marco. I wanted to see how my bum would hold up on longer rides so I did a 70k jaunt to Kawaguchiko; very painful around 50k as I had blisters forming on my bum. I bought bandages at a convenient store, applied them to affected areas and had no issue completing the ride.:rescue:

I was a bit bummed out about my sore bum, which is no laughing matter. I did not want to invest in yet another saddle so I did some research to find out how saddle shape and positioning affect ride feel. After reading several articles, I knew that I had to adjust my saddle position either forward or backward. Initially, my saddle position was 49cm from stem. I decided to try a forward adjustment of 1.5cm or 47.5cm from stem, which moved my bum further back on the saddle and away from the blistered areas. After the adjustment, I have gone on rides of more than 70k and on hilly terrains with no irritation to my bottom. I am a happy camper once more!:happy1:

They are differently designed as far as feel, but yes I do change the position as I feel the need ;)

Back
Top Bottom