What's new

Fixies to Fuji - 911

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
Well, there's a pretty good chance that 'Team Mankini' will attempt the Fixie to Fuji ride from tomorrow night with a summit on 911. If anyone is interested to lock their cogs and cruise along, please give a shout! No guarantees of starting, enduring or finishing this ride and hike - but - right now, looks like it's a GO.

P.S. mankini is optional .

P.P.S. thanks to Travis for his helpful tips - will probably roll at 10pm or so, and scored some throw-away treads at Don Quixote.

Have fun! Sounds like a good goal, which some of my friends from CMWC did on fixed gears last year.

I would have pondered getting on the battle fixie again for something like this, but unfortunately I already have plans.

Go fixies! Pleased that our adventure a couple of weeks ago has inspired you to take the challenge.

Final tips: Thick walking socks and trainers are suitable for the hike. You might like a face mask for the descent, due to ash blowing up in your face.

I dont know if you'll be able to buy any water at all on the mountain now that its September, make sure to ask someone at the 5th station. I got through 2 bidons, a can of coffee and another drink on the hike, and ended up buying another bottle of coke for the descent.

Bear in mind - cycle up the subaru line, from the 138 takes 2hr+. The hike up takes around 4hrs. At some point you will think, "We can easily do this in 3!", but you'll slow down after the 8th station due to the altitude. If you do the crater walk, allow another 1hr 10mins.
If you're still feeling fine, then the descent could be done in 2-3hrs - but you will no doubt be tired.

The post office closed mid August, but you can still send a text message to someone form the top, great mobile reception up there.

Descending the subaru line on a fixie is something I never want to do :eek:

Tim and I are safely off of the mountain.
The trip was not without surprises...
a write up will happen soon but for now, just let me say, if there was ever some fight to the death competition with only bare hands or McGyvered implements or just pure tenacity -- I'd hope to god tim was on my side.

This was an epic adventure. Kori was an amazing partner! My frame boke around - well, I dont know - but I heard funky scrapey noises on the descent to Sagamiko and sure enough, the downtube had cracked all the way though! We limped to Otsuki, then patched it up. I'm too wiped out to report extensively on this - but let's say - I, for one, will not be doing this particulat ride / climb anytime soon. I have sunburn, mashed arm from sliding on the volcanix rock, sore everwhere, flash blindness from the f*ers coming down Subaru line and complete mental exhaustion. Plus, my bike is broke in half and I need to get another one quick for the HC next weekend. Will report soon - with pics! Thanks Kori! I could have never made this without yor support!

Tim, I saw your video on facebook, that's a hell of a repair there mate. And the bus traffic...holy crud...never seen so many buses! Great stuff guys and looking forward to your report Kori:D

Go fixies! Pleased that our adventure a couple of weeks ago has inspired you to take the challenge.

Final tips: Thick walking socks and trainers are suitable for the hike. You might like a face mask for the descent, due to ash blowing up in your face.

Thanks guys! yeah - I would have never tried this without reading your report and picking Travis's brain. Another thing to know - the buses at the top stop running at 16.40 - so if you need to bail from there your only choice is ride down or a cab. Cab fare is more than 12,000yen! I pretty much had no choice but to ride it out. Kori was the smart one in getting off the mountain during daylight. At night it is shear and utter hell. Buses and cars jamming by you, oncoming headlight blinding, absolutely no road lights and no shoulder except for the occassional vertical ditch. I was just about ready to bag it and sleep in the woods until morning.

When we went up most of rest shacks were closed and even the first aid station was closed! You could still buy stuff at some of the rest places - albeit very high price. I carried 2 full water bottles - got water at the 5th station rest room. And 4 citrusy carb gels plus black chocolate. Wish I had a bit more water, the descent was longer than I expected and after I crashed on the rocks - I had to choose between washing my road rash or drinking.

P.S. I added the story with pics to my blog --- http://www.roadfixie.com/archives/587

Back
Top Bottom