What's new

fixie fixation.

johnathon

Cruising
Dec 9, 2021
moved to the Bōsō 6 years ago (from Hokkaido, where I could only ride 7 or 8 months of the year, being strictly a tarmac person) and 3 years ago went fixed for the first time in maybe 55 years... not without much consideration i have to say, as it's pretty hilly round here. anyway bought the fixie, with 46 x 16 and have thoroughly enjoyed it. however, recently I got a bit frustrated with slow and inefficient riding on the flat (of which there's not a lot) and downhill was a pain (figuratively speaking). so I decided to up the gearing to 48 x 16. a winner, and got me to thinking: mayyyybe I can go a bit higher. fitted the new 50T ring the other day and checked it out on two of my regular routes. double winner! can still get up the hills I could previously, and almost up those that were just too much (long, windy, and steep). strangely, I did better on those with the larger gear. since leg strength wasn't an issue, I figure it's because my breathing became easier with the higher gear. and of course, on the flat, it's way more efficient, and way more fun! doubt there are many or any others here with a fixie fixation, but, I'm thrilled, and there's no-one here who shares my enthusiasm(s), so......

anyway.... happy and safe riding everyone....

johnathon

Last edited:
I rode fixed for several years before flipping the wheel over to the freewheel side. Trying to trim the herd a bit I eventually sold my last fixed gear bike so now I'm all geared. Interestingly (at least I think so), almost all of my PBs on strava in Tokyo are on my fixed gear. When you have no lower gear, there's nothing to do but just push hard up the hills, and it's going to be a lot easier if you can maintain some speed. Slowing down is a killer in a high gear on an incline with no bailout other than walking.

sounds like "herd" was apposite: "eventually sold my last fixed gear". have often though fixed would be ideal in Tokyo, though no desire to live there. I have ridden there in years gone by when flying down from Sapporo with my steed. ride around, do things, ride back. but that machine was geared.

It really is a great city for riding fixed. There are some hills here and there but I rarely found anything I couldn't crank up with a little extra effort. You can find some wildly steep little inclines on quiet little back roads but most main roads are manageable.

Back
Top Bottom