What's new

Fixed gear?

yokotas13

Warming-Up
Feb 15, 2008
Anyone around into Fixed gear riding?
Hoping to do a ton of training this winter and try and do an amateur race next year or two. always great to meet other people!

Have been thinking of getting a fixie as a 2nd bike.
Saw your post on another thread regarding the S3X... is it already available locally?

(I'm not getting any younger, so might as well as try anything I could try my hands on)

rommelgc;15557 said:
Have been thinking of getting a fixie as a 2nd bike.
Saw your post on another thread regarding the S3X... is it already available locally?

(I'm not getting any younger, so might as well as try anything I could try my hands on)
its going to be a massive release in December
ill be ordering one from the states and getting my rims laced to it for sure

I have a Fixed gear comming (long story on why i have 3 fixed gears now) that will be for sale a 56cm

S3x is gonna be awesome though, i really cant wait for it to be released. will be great for commuting, but i can still have fixed!

its going to be a massive release in December
ill be ordering one from the states and getting my rims laced to it for sure

I have a Fixed gear comming (long story on why i have 3 fixed gears now) that will be for sale a 56cm

S3x is gonna be awesome though, i really cant wait for it to be released. will be great for commuting, but i can still have fixed!

I don't get it. Why would you need 3 gear ratios on a fixed bike? Isn't the point of riding a fixed bike simplicity? Seems like a hipster bling bling thing thing. Hipsters need to develop some quadriceps.

I don't get it. Why would you need 3 gear ratios on a fixed bike? Isn't the point of riding a fixed bike simplicity? Seems like a hipster bling bling thing thing. Hipsters need to develop some quadriceps.

because 3 gears is more simple than 20 something?

its becuase id like to have the OPTION to use another gear, and still be fixed.
I ride fixed gear becuase its fun. way to be closed minded and lump everyone into a stereotype

I don't think he is being close mind, but a legitimate question as one of the main reasons behind the whole fix wheel revival is purism and simplicity. It funny because if you think about the way the trends are developing in 4-5 years time fixed wheel bikes will be 5 speed with free hubs :D A bit like how the Drifter turned into the BMX into the mountain bike in to the trial bike and then back to the BMX with 16" wheels.

As for the mechanics of it all technicall 3 speed is just as technical as 33 speed.

Legit, perhaps. But c'mon, the "bling bling" part was a bit gratuitous. Dude just likes his fixed-gears. :bike:
in variable speeds, sounds like a geared bike to me. But you're right to each his own. Peace :)>-

Legit, perhaps. But c'mon, the "bling bling" part was a bit gratuitous. Dude just likes his fixed-gears. :bike:

pretty much. i just want the hub so i dont show up to work drenched in sweat from mashing to go up a couple huge hills on the way to work

besides, it sonly going on one of my bikes. i have 2 fixed gears and a road bike, and soon to be another fixed gear. im sure i can spare one for a hub

eh, but i am kind of guilty of bling bling
4025923942_f8eba81053.jpg

one of my fixies, a converted bridgestone radac. its not the most subtle bike ever

eh, but i am kind of guilty of bling bling
4025923942_f8eba81053.jpg

one of my fixies, a converted bridgestone radac. its not the most subtle bike ever

I used to spray the finish on those. As well as sanding and filing the joints prior to paint. They are quite light considering their age. Pretty flexy eh?

hahahaa... and you scream stereotype

I used to spray the finish on those. As well as sanding and filing the joints prior to paint. They are quite light considering their age. Pretty flexy eh?

quite
compared to my Bridgestone NJS frame its a noodle.
amazing the difference between two frames!

Thanks James. I like to think it screams personailty. I dont wear the goofy Hipster clothes to go along with it. I just like to make everything i own how i like it.

Agreed.... both my road bikeand moutain bike a slightly bling or should i say customised as I'm rather partial to carbon fibre which doesn't have bling??

I'm not asking for the story, because I know that if I was riding 56cm frames in Japan I couldn't resist the NJS temptation:rolleyes:

I'm currently building up my second track bike, around an 80s GranVelo frame with measurements that make finding the right components difficult. I expect December the time when it's complete.

Usually I do interval sprints in front of the Tokyo government skyscrapers, where you have a nice circle course without heavy traffic and two ~700m stretches.

One question after the first week of riding my newly assembled road-bike: Doesn't it feel awkward for you to get back on the fixed? Or the other way around?

I'm not asking for the story, because I know that if I was riding 56cm frames in Japan I couldn't resist the NJS temptation:rolleyes:

I'm currently building up my second track bike, around an 80s GranVelo frame with measurements that make finding the right components difficult. I expect December the time when it's complete.

Usually I do interval sprints in front of the Tokyo government skyscrapers, where you have a nice circle course without heavy traffic and two ~700m stretches.

One question after the first week of riding my newly assembled road-bike: Doesn't it feel awkward for you to get back on the fixed? Or the other way around?
hah, yeah, i got back on my radac after i reassembled it from cannibalizing parts for the NJS, and i was like, whoa. the Geometry is way different, the bike just isnt as nimble as hte track bike. so its now my SS converted, velocity deepV wearing, commuter bike.

finally got some pics of the NJS frame all set up
4063933290_97faa04e9d_b.jpg

went on a 30ish mile ride on saturday, bike performed flawless. I could use some lighter wheels, but i think i did pretty good for 75 gear inches in the mountain foothills. im going down to 69 GI to try and get a little more climbing in before i die of exhaustion

Back
Top Bottom