What's new

Help Fixed Gear Pedal Choice

DanBell

Maximum Pace
Apr 26, 2010
I've been thinking about getting a fixed gear bike for some single speed commuting. I know most of the riders I see out and about on fixies (is that terminology allowed?) are using platform pedals with clips and straps, or something similar like Power Grips. Is there a reason to use this system over regular clipless pedals for city riding? I'm currently riding Time iClics on one bike and SPDs on another, and was thinking about just using SPDs again.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

SPD's or ATACs. ATACs resist pullouts a little better than SPD's, and of course you can easily fit the cleats into same walkable shoes as SPD. Otherwise just push it old school with clips and straps. It all depends on the footgear you wanna wear!

Thanks. I was hoping you'd chime in. I'll just stick with SPDs then and crank up the tension on them. I'm happy to wear my cycling shoes around for short distances or bring shoes to change into when necessary.

Lots of nice spd capable shoes out there! FYI I'm getting some 1968 Gucci loafers cloned in China - SPD ready, of course. Lizardskin uppers. About 12,000 yen handmade.

Something else you could do is stick with the SPD shoes but get some of the Touring Shoes that look more like regular sneakers, I wear mine all day every day, I've got three pair now that I use like this :D

ATACs here. really like he sprung feel of the release over the mechanical clunk of SPDs.

I already have Mavic Razors with SPD cleats which are reasonably walkable. A new pedal system would require new shoes, which I don't really want to do. I'll keep it in the family for now. If the SPDs don't have the retention I need I'll give the ATACs a try.

Back
Top Bottom