What's new

FIT

ProRaceMechanic

Maximum Pace
Dec 31, 2009
This is some explanation of my fitting process.
The fit takes around 2 hours and starts out with general questions and a discussion of goals. Several standardized flexibility tests are performed. The goal of the fit is not only to get the rider as aerodynamically efficient as possible, but to ensure that the body is working as efficient as possible.
The foot is the root of the fit and it gets the time it deserves. The foot's gate is measured with a forefoot measuring device. This is done to pinpoint indifference's between feet and also to help determine if wedging is necessary. It is sometimes necessary to incorporate cleat wedges and shims to correct inefficiencies in the pedal stroke. Arch is looked after by support or in some cases new shoes are recommended. A poor fitting shoe can be what is making you get dropped and can cause a multiple of other problems. It is recommended that new cleats are brought to the fit.
Time is spent measuring body length, but the main focus is to monitor and adjust what happens on the bike. Slow motion video analysis that tracks limb movement in conjunction with lasers help me get the rider as square as possible on the bike and being mechanically placed so that they are less prone to injury and able to perform at their peak. Time is spent during the video analysis to ensure proper pedaling technique is performed. You are able to watch your pedal stroke in real time on a screen in front of you and tweak as neccesary.
There is no magic mathematical equation when it comes to stem length. This is determined by on the bike testing done with a modifiable stem that is adjusted while on the bike. You leave the fit with knowing that you have the perfect length stem. Stem length can vary over the year. Colder months can tighten your back. Also the addition of heavy clothing can affect the comfort of your position. Recommendations are made to get you through the season.
A goniometer is used to measure all major angles of the body. These numbers are important and offer a range to work within, but the riders muscle elasticity is paramount when making final decisions. That goes for saddle adjustments as well.
When all is done, the data derived, including all video, is put onto a flash drive and mailed to the customer. Here are a few photos from my personal practice.
FITIMAGE_zps0f6dbcf9-1_zps2c1ed808.jpg

FITIMAGE21_zpsec1a2264.jpg

Really interesting, thanks for the insight. Still keen to set some time up with you, and will PM once work stops sending me round the planet like it has for the last four weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If there is any interest in being fit please let me know, I will be in Tokyo with my equipment very soon.

My fit price guide for 2013 is 30000 yen.
I am giving all TCC members that sign up by the end of January a 5000 Yen discount.

Interested, but can you please provide specific available dates / time / place?

Interested, but can you please provide specific available dates / time / place?

Yair - we will probably be doing it at my place - we could combine it with those long over due beers.

I have a location in Yokohama and a location in west Tokyo. If you are looking to get fit and want to get on the list, please leave me a PM with your availability from
1-2-2013 to 1-5-2013.
Thank You
-Chuck

Probably the best 25000 yen you'll spend if you are a serious cyclist.

I was bike fit similarly to Chuck's method. It seems that most people end up raising the saddle and shortening the stem. If a few people have a fit done you should be able to mix and match stems.

The real benefit is in getting your pedal stroke sorted. Leg length varies. So does the angle your feet stand at quite naturally. With Chuck's bike fit you can maximise pedal efficiency.

Your new set up will take a while to get used to so the off-season is thw best time to do it. Also if you are considering new pedals, shoes or cleats, now would be the time to do it.

The other thing to mention is after service. I'm sure Chuck will offer this. After the fit and riding for a while you may feel you need a few final tweeks. Best to have him supervise or you might just undo all his good work...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

How often should when get 'fit'?

I had a similar fitting probably 10 months ago or so. Was quite new to the sport back then, now I suppose I'm just relatively new. I understand that the body 'develops' and gets used to cycling a bit more.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Andy!
And to theDude,
That depends. Some professionals get fit every year. But they also get a new bike every year. I adjust my bike whenever there is a long period of inactivity or the opposite, allot of riding. I also adjust my bike for specific events. In general though, if you are not experiencing any problems and are happy with your fit, you should be fine. You may be able to tweak things to gain efficiency, mainly in your stem length. I have found that beginners have to start in a fairly upright position. This can be taxing on your aerodynamics, similar to a sail in the wind. Chances are your back has become more accustomed to a lower more aerodynamic position compared to when you were first fit. It is a very difficult question though, as I don't know how the person fit you. If they took your flexibility into account at the time of the fit, chances are you have changed and could use some minor adjustments. If they fit you based on body measurements alone, then you could have started out wrong and need a complete resetting to properly adjust. Next time you get on the bike ask yourself "am I comfortable?", if the answer is no, you should be fit. If the answer is yes, ask yourself, "do I want to spend money on a fit that could result in minor changes?". I have re-fit many people. I know I will change something. One thing that I have found many skip is how your knees are tracking. If you notice in the picture there is a front view of a rider. The pink lines are showing where the knee is tracking up and down. You want your leg like a piston, moving up and down in a straight plane of motion. Your knee goes in the same plane of motion thousands of times every ride. If it is bowing out at the top or collapsing in at the bottom, this can cause huge, long term problems. If the person who fit you did not look at your knee trailing from the front, then you weren't given a full on fit. I also teach proper pedaling technique. I am sure you will gain from the experiences of being re fit, It is up to you if these gains are worth the money you will spend. A larger explanation of exactly how you were fit would help me paint a better picture. Did you pay for your fit, or was it free with a bike purchase? How long did it take? Did they test your flexibility?

Chuck, Dec. 29th (Sat.) and 30th (Sun.) will most likely work for me. Either Tokyo or Yokohama are fine. Please let me know when your schedule is fixed.

Yair

I had the good fortune of having a fitting done by Chuck as my cycling experience has been greatly enhanced. Since the fitting, I have seen an increase in getting power to the wheels. I ride further distances without the discomfort I had experienced prior to the fitting. And, the advice Chuck had given me about pedaling has really made me a more efficient cyclist. I was most impressed with Chuck's professionalism and meticulous attention to cleat, stem and seat adjustments to find the best cycling position for me. I will most definitely use Chuck's services in the future.

The next openings for fittings will be January 2nd through the 6th.
Please let me know if you are interested in working together.
Start the new year off on the right feet!

Thanks for the support Time Traveler! If you would like I can give you a re assessment. I fit you some time ago, before I went to school to get my certification, before my internship with Chris Balser and before I started to use motion capture. I will let you know when you will be able to stop through to get looked at if you are interested. As with all of my clients, re assessments are free and when you work with me you are apart of my team. Open door policy! If you feel you need an adjustment I have no problem doing so.

Chuck, I would love to have a fit, but the timing is a bit off as I have just ordered a pair of cycling shoes via Wiggle. If the shoes arrive before the 7th, then I hope that I could meet up with you. But, I have not had much luck with getting my orders quickly from the UK so I will most likely seek your services the next time you are in the area.

There is now room for one more appointment in Tokyo on Saturday Morning December 29th at 8 am. Also there will be another option to be fit in Yokohama between the 2nd and 5th of January 2013. Thanks Bloaker!
PM me if interested.

-Chuck

Back
Top Bottom