What's new

First world problems: mismatched Red-level cranks or Force eTap AXS cranks (aka how shallow am I?)

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
I know people are having more serious issues right now, but perhaps this is a fun one to take your minds off things. My LBS is continuing to source my literal dream bike, and they contacted me with a proposal: they can get me Quarq D2 cranks with a Quarq power meter for 20,000 ¥ less than what the SRAM Force eTap AXS + power meter combo would cost. The Quarq D2 cranks are AFAIK the previous gen Red cranks with a different branding, so they don't quite fit the look of the new Force eTap groupset.

Should I go for looks and stick to the Force eTap cranks or get the Quarq D2 cranks? What are your 2 cents? The power meters themselves are essentially identical, they are just in different housings, so I wouldn't gain or lose anything.

Last edited:
if money is not an issue, then I would just say stick with the group set.
or
if you wanted to help out those with more serious economic problems you could for the Quarq and donate your savings to a good cause.
(or just use the money one a nice bottle of whiskey for those cold nights)
(i was gonna say use the money for blowie, but...well, that might be a little too much in the way of spreading Covid, so I won't suggest that.)

The only one that would care is you on the bike. Save the money and shout your wife to a full on spa treatment.

Don't ask me, I have a silver Ultegra crank on the right side and a black Dura Ace crank arm with Stages on the left side.

I don't really care to be honest.

Plus you only take pictures of the bike from one side anyway!

Andy

Last edited:
When the chainring is worn, you need to replace the whole piece.
That's only true for the Red 2x chain rings. I'm getting Force 1x, so I can replace chain rings separately. 🙂

A Red 1x aero crankset with power meter would be nice, but that'd be a giant truffle on top of a 750 g Wagyu steak.

My gravel bike is running an Shimano XT crank and a Sram Drivetrain.
Guess how bothered I am buy it? Yup.. not one bit - and we know I will blow money on bike stuff. (just bought a new Chris King BB for the new bike, because the Shimano wasn't good enough hahaha). This bike was a budget build/spare parts build. It does everything I ask it to do as well as a matching bike does and it didn't break the bank to build.

BUT - my Road bikes....
Ritchey 100% Campy Chorus. When purchasing, Tim was trying to get me to save money and get athena bits here and there since the weight savings are minimal and functonality are 100% identical. BUT - this was for my Ritchey. I knew what I wanted and any shortcuts would involve me ultimately replacing those parts down the road, so I went 100% Chorus. That bike is 7 years old and 100% on the original drivetrain, wheels, etc... Only changes have been saddle/bars/stem.

My Emonda - I bought a 105 power meter. It worked fine, but 5800 crank with a 7000 non drive side arm. I replaced the 5800 with 7000. But that was only $150 with things on sale.

So I get it....

My mountain bikes - I will mis-match model numbers as long as they stay Shimano OR Sram. But I will never mix the two. Also suspension - There are some forks that are perfect for an application. There are some rear shocks that are perfect for an application. There are scenarios where you should run one brand fork and another brand shock. - I can't do it. I will actually avoid frames that put in a mismatch scenario to get the proper performance...

So again - I get it.

I guess to me - it is why are you getting the bike?
Is this "the one" to remain forever? If so, anything your heart wants, get. (My Ritchey fits that bill - I have already determined the next move on that bike when the time comes - A frame/fork repaint with a brand new Chorus 12 drivetrain. But until then, it remains as built up)

Is this performance only? If so, get the most reliable parts. IMO - the crank is actually the one component that an off-brand/after-market brand is expected to pop up. So many companies build cranksets, but not complete drivetrains. So to me, this 'issue' you are having isn't as much of an issue if say it were a mismatched rear derraileur or something.

I am still tired, so not sure I made my point.... "do what you want based on what you want it to be" :)

@bloaker
You're weird. So am I! 🤪
At least we are not animals and mix colors. (Hat tip to @andywood) 😝

Some people also feel like that with pedals, they can't ride Shimano pedals with a SRAM groupset. That doesn't bother me much. And for some reason I could do e. g. a Rotor crank with a Shimano drive train, for example. Or another botique crank like the delicious Torno crank. But I'm having trouble picturing a mismatched SRAM groupset with, effectively, a SRAM crank. I just can't do it. I guess I'll go with the Force eTap crank and matching power meter then.

@bloaker
You're weird. So am I! 🤪
At least we are not animals and mix colors. (Hat tip to @andywood) 😝

Some people also feel like that with pedals, they can't ride Shimano pedals with a SRAM groupset. That doesn't bother me much. And for some reason I could do e. g. a Rotor crank with a Shimano drive train, for example. Or another botique crank like the delicious Torno crank. But I'm having trouble picturing a mismatched SRAM groupset with, effectively, a SRAM crank. I just can't do it. I guess I'll go with the Force eTap crank and matching power meter then.

Haha, never been interested in the aesthetics of a bike to be honest!

The Lynskey is beautiful brushed titanium with intricate clovers here and there, but I bought it for the ride quality and lifetime warranty.

Similarly the Trek Speed Concept turns heads, but all I want is to make it as fast as possible.

As for the mixed cranks, I broke 2 Dura Ace cranks in two years. So to buy Ultegra, which is more durable and half the price is a no brainer. Weight savings are probably equivalent to whether I carry one banana or two.

Looking forward to seeing your new bike.

And remember, don't frame it, ride it!

Andy

Haha, never been interested in the aesthetics of a bike to be honest!
Aesthetics play some role, but at least as far as the frame goes, I was converted by riding it, the ride is second to none (of the bikes I tried). The fact that I find the bike aesthetically pleasing is a great bonus.
As for the mixed cranks, I broke 2 Dura Ace cranks in two years. So to buy Ultegra, which is more durable and half the price is a no brainer. Weight savings are probably equivalent to whether I carry one banana or two.
Yeah, I remember that. Crazy. Although I thought Ultegra cranks had the same issue with adhesives not holding up. I've seen Rotor cranks on sale (¥20,000 for the crank arms), which are excellent. (I have ridden them on a loaner, and I like their modularity.)
Looking forward to seeing your new bike.
It'll probably be mid- to end-of March. Can't wait. But I have saved up so long that I can also wait few more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom