First Trip Weather Advice

Morton

Warming-Up
Apr 14, 2011
Niigata
I'm heading to Gumma through Nagano tomorrow and the forecast ain't looking too great. I'll be passing the highest national road in Japan and wonder how cold it might be at this time of year.

Morton

Warming-Up
Apr 14, 2011
Niigata
Morton,

Looks dodgy. Rain forecast all day in Kusatsu and 9 degrees, so probably 4 or 5 at the top of that pass.

http://tenki.jp/forecast/point-526.html

Maybe best to stay closer to home. Chance of rain early on but cloudy mostly. A climb of Hikarigahara? 0 to 1000m....

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time
I'm going one way or the other though as I've booked the hotel. whether it's by car or by bike I have to decide in the next 30 minutes or so. Today seems ok but tomorrow .....I really need to buy a rack for my car.

By the way I tried out some of the rides you suggested and have done the Tsubame one the last two weeks, apart from the waffle like road (kills me on the way down) I really enjoy it.

Morton

Warming-Up
Apr 14, 2011
Niigata
I found this >> Weather Forecast << looks rather cool, and with the rain and typhoon coming could be really fun :rolleyes: :D

I think that that link might be the deciding factor for me. I don't like the look of the snowman marks and the amount of rain seems a lot.

Maybe better safe than sorry but this is the 2nd time I've planned and booked this trip only for nature to cancel it.

Jan 13, 2010
Victoria, BC
If you haven't been to the monkey onsen in Yudanaka Jigokudani I recommend it. Your hands will probably appreciate the break after clutching the brakes on the downhill from Kusatsu.

I'm pondering whether to do that route in June myself. Too many choices.

Morton

Warming-Up
Apr 14, 2011
Niigata
I'm back safe and soaking. But I have to admit I never made it the whole way, at least with the bike as I bottled it with about 17k to go to the hotel. I was staying in Manza.

My first mistake was trying to go via Obuse and not Iiyama. I got lost and added miles to my route. Eventually I found route 292 and started up. Just past Shiga Kogen I could hardly see a thing cause of the mist and I decided to ditch my bike and wait for the family to pick me up. It was a good decision as I was done and it was pretty dangerous.

As I was making my way up to Shiga Kogen I saw no other cyclist going up but must have passed 20 or so coming down. As I novice cyclist I will say that the speeds that these guys were descending was terrifying.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Hey,

Safe is the way to go, always. It's been a very rainy day here, and I think most everywhere, I'm glad that you chose to call in the relief wagon. It's good to know that you're okay.

John D.

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Glad you made it safe and sound.

The road up to Shiga Kogen is the Olympic road right? The one that goes round and round like a helter skelter? Crazy fast on the way down. Don't risk it!

Glad you checked out Tsubame too. Did you check out the free onsen in the rocks? Yes, the concrete sections are a real bone shaker even on the way up. Just before Tsubame, there is a fork in the road. You can come down that way to avoid the concrete.

Andy

Morton

Warming-Up
Apr 14, 2011
Niigata
Glad you made it safe and sound.

The road up to Shiga Kogen is the Olympic road right? The one that goes round and round like a helter skelter? Crazy fast on the way down. Don't risk it!

Glad you checked out Tsubame too. Did you check out the free onsen in the rocks? Yes, the concrete sections are a real bone shaker even on the way up. Just before Tsubame, there is a fork in the road. You can come down that way to avoid the concrete.

Andy

Probably was the Olympic road. I passed a sign near the bottom with something about the Olympics but I just glanced at it as I was beginning to panic about making it.

The second time I went to Tsubame I tried to go right coming down and head to Akakura (I think) but the road was still closed. I looked for the onsen and either it had no water (there was what looked like an empty onsen behind the Shito shrine) or I couldn't find it. I made do with the free footbath.

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Morton,

Maybe they don't have the onsen going in the winter. I've only been up there in summer.

Ride as far as the road goes. Climb the steps up to the shrine. Follow the steep path. There is a rock on the right after a couple of hundred metres. Men and women's arrows show you to the baths.

There is another one too (a mixed konyoku one) but it's more of a walk.

Once the roads link up with Akakakura, there are lots of good roads around there. The climb up through Suginohara is really good and was the "Myoko Hillclimb" course until a few years back.

Enjoy your riding!

Andy