What's new

First post

Bruce

Warming-Up
Jun 11, 2006
Hi
I am moving to Tokyo in late July (although my bike will not arrive till sometime in August). Curruently I am a regular commuter (only a short distance) and do a weekly ride of around 25 km. What is cycling situation in and from central Tokyo ? Are you normally cycling on road, or are there bike paths etc.
I am also interested in the ability to purchase a hybrid bike in a larger size (for a member of my family who is around 5'10" tall). Are such bikes available in Tokyo, or should we purchase beforehand ?

Bruce said:
Hi
I am moving to Tokyo in late July (although my bike will not arrive till sometime in August). Curruently I am a regular commuter (only a short distance) and do a weekly ride of around 25 km. What is cycling situation in and from central Tokyo ? Are you normally cycling on road, or are there bike paths etc.
I am also interested in the ability to purchase a hybrid bike in a larger size (for a member of my family who is around 5'10" tall). Are such bikes available in Tokyo, or should we purchase beforehand ?

Hi Bruce,

welcome aboard! :welcome:

I'm using the bicycle on a daily basis in and around Central Tokyo. I am only riding on roads, bridges and underpasses. I try to avoid pavements as hell. Here are some (ironic) observations of my early cycling days in Tokyo

=> http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9513

I am 6'3" tall and cannot find my frame size in Japan. I have self-imported one bike from Europe and ordered another one from the U.S. I need frame size 60, though you will be able to find 58 in Tokyo bike shops.

Hope you can join us for a ride soon! :)

Most of Tokyo area is a concrete jungle. If you need a large size bike > 58 CM and up, you are better to bring one from wherever your coming from. Yes a hybrid bike (MTB with city street tires) would be a good bike to trek through Tokyo with!

Bruce said:
Hi

Hi Bruce-san,

welcome to TCC and thank you for your post.
Bruce said:
What is cycling situation in and from central Tokyo ? Are you normally cycling on road, or are there bike paths etc.
Sorry, there is no bake paths in Tokyo.:(
As thomas-san and Freeride39-san wrote upto 58 bike is available in Tokyo.:)

Back
Top Bottom