Review Firmoo prescription sports goggles BSD0101

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
firmoo.com is a China-based internet dealer in glasses and goggles. Read up about the company and you'll soon see that it hands out specs to bloggers who promise to review them, and you'll also see a lot of bland and curiously unconvincing praise.

Me, I paid money for a pair of goggles. Specifically, this model.

I used the prescription I'd got for a pair of glasses bought in Tokyo a month or so previously. Ordering was easy, PayPal was easy, airing (must we say "air shipment"?) was free, delivery was fast.

The case (marked βΛSTO 邦士度) was (is) enormous. Looking inside . . . I'd hoped that the technology of our advanced and wonderful western neighbour would produce the kind of amazing materials we see in some of the Zoff specs. Well, it doesn't. The black plastic nosepiece was twisted. It was attached to the plastic frame by one screw, the other having pretty much detached itself. The plastic of the frame somehow felt (feels) a bit like the plastic of novelty frames -- I half expect attachment of a large nose and bushy moustache.

I couldn't see how I could straighten the nosepiece and so politely pointed this out in email. After a little bit of amicable miscommunication, Firmoo promised to send me a replacement frame. All I'd have to do would be to move the lens part (the transparent thing behind the curved shades) from the first pair to the second.

I got the second package. I've no idea how to remove the transparent lens thing from the one pair and put it on the other (or anyway without severe risk of breaking something). So I decided not to switch them.

The goggles have (more or less) neutral-density shades attached. There's a set of alternatives. I've no idea how you are to pull out one pair and put in another pair. So I'm resigned to full-time neutral density, and a dubiously attached nosepiece.

The optics are done well. I can see through the glasses just fine. Uh, well, actually there's a lot of distortion, which I imagine is the result of the curvature of the shades. But Firmoo seems to have faithfully implemented my vital visual statistics.

When I stand up and walk around, there's a disconcerting amount of light coming in from below. But when I'm cycling, the angle of my head is such that all's well.

The glasses look as if even the smallest drop would break them, and this means that I don't dare leave home without also carrying another pair of specs. (And I wouldn't want to wear them anywhere poorly lighted.) That's more junk to carry around.

Well, I wore them today and they did the job. They're not all that comfortable: I want to push the frame back toward my eyes; at the same time I want to push the lens away from my eyes. It seems that these are goggles/sunglasses to which a lens is attached as a design afterthought: not the best way to design something like this. Zoff (for example) could surely come up with a better design, for a pair that doesn't threaten to collapse.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Right just looked at the glasses - very suprised that you can't tell they are plastic from the photos they provided.

In regards to lense switch they use the same method as Oakleys which is you need to take hold of the lens between your forefinger and thumb in your right hand (If right handed) and the frame in your left hand, by slightly bending the frame at the nose peice pull the lense out starting at the area next to the nose peice - you'll see there is a small nub protruding from the lense, this with a little force will roll out of the frame.

Then when reinserting the new lense put the edge with the swallow tail in first and then firmly push the lense in to place.

Oh and let's face it..... $66.00 USD - come on you seriously weren't expecting memory titanium or carbon fiber where you?

Here is a video on howw to change the lenses on Oakley glasses - my example is based on your lenses due to the difference in lense shape

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
Right just looked at the glasses - very suprised that you can't tell they are plastic from the photos they provided.
I knew the frames would be plastic. They certainly look like plastic in the photos, and anyway most frames are plastic. But there's plastic and then there's plastic. Perhaps among the best is the stuff used in the Korean-made line of Zoff's "Smart" line. (Incidentally, see the "men"/"women" section within Zoff's page about them for some vintage full-blast gender stereotyping.) This costs money and I wasn't expecting this level. But frames of specs that cost just four thou or so inspire more confidence than the frames of my firmoo goggles do.

But to be fair to my firmoo goggles, I haven't yet sat on them or even dropped them. Possibly they're tougher than they seem.

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
I knew the frames would be plastic. They certainly look like plastic in the photos, and anyway most frames are plastic. But there's plastic and then there's plastic. Perhaps among the best is the stuff used in the Korean-made line of Zoff's "Smart" line. (Incidentally, see the "men"/"women" section within Zoff's page about them for some vintage full-blast gender stereotyping.) This costs money and I wasn't expecting this level. But frames of specs that cost just four thou or so inspire more confidence than the frames of my firmoo goggles do.

But to be fair to my firmoo goggles, I haven't yet sat on them or even dropped them. Possibly they're tougher than they seem.
Fuck you weren't wrong about that webpage. Unbelievable. At least they made a quality English ballsup, what with their product slogan being "too light & too tough." I guess they thought that "super" and "ultra" were played out.