What's new

Official Ride Fireworks - Tour de Hanabi (17th TCC Tour)

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
On Saturday, 11th of August, Tokyo will hold its largest fireworks display on Tokyo bay.
I've been there every year for about 6 years in a row, and watched it from many different places; But I think I've found the best location - Harumi-futo-koen, in Harumi 5-cho-me. 晴海ふ頭公園。

The fireworks start at 7:00 - 8:20, but to get a good position, we should all be there by about 5pm.
Anyway, I was thinking we could all make a fairly descent ride out of the whole day.
This is just a preliminary post to see how much interest there is, and I haven't even decided on the full route yet, but how about this:

A full lap right around Tokyo.
The start: Tokyo palace seems like a good place.
From there, we head down Rte.15 towards Haneda Airport until we get to Tamagawa.
Ride up Tamagawa cycling road to "Futago-tamagawa" on Rte.246.
We cross the river there, turn back in towards Shibuya only for about 1km, and turn left on "Kanpachi-dori".
Kanpachi-dori is a long straight road that goes for over 20km from Tamagawa almost directly up to Arakawa (cycling road). There is a lot of traffic, but it's reasonably wide and much easier to ride on than many other roads in Tokyo.
Once we're all on the Arakawa cycling road, we'll head south to have a long-ish late-lunch break at Kasai-rinkai-koen - 葛西臨海公園。
From there, it's less than 10km to the park in Harumi - mostly along "Wangan-Doro", which is one of my favorite fast-ride roads.

The beauty of this loop is that no matter where where you live in Tokyo, you can join us as we ride past the nearest place to your home.
As best I can make out on the map, from Tokyo Palace to Kasai-rinkai-koen it's 85km - 95km to the Harumi fireworks park.
I'm hoping we can all be at Kasai-rinkai-koen by 3pm, which will give us an hour or so for the late lunch-break, so preliminary times are...

Tokyo palace - 10:30
Haneda (Rte.15) - 11:30
Futago-Tamagawa - 12:00
Arakawa cycling road - 13:30
Kasai-rinkai-koen - 15:00 (85km)
1 hour break - 15:00 - 16:00
Harumi-futo-koen - 16:30 (95km).

The pace WON'T be fast! This is a social ride, like the "Tour de Westside" & "Tour de la Pink"; perfectly suited to new riders, females (Go-Go-Gals), and families etc.
Also, many people will be riding home from there, so you can team-up with other people who are heading in your general direction for the return journey.

Please send your replies if you are interested.

Rubber Down!
Travis

I think our offices might have Obon Holiday at this time! Very excited to join!

We are selling our bikes right now to upgrade. Sarah wants a Women's specific design (top tube too long!)

and I need a slightly bigger frame. You'll see what I mean when we go for a ride! :eek:

I am looking forward to it! Let me check my vacation!

Still on for the fireworks!

There hasn't been too much interest so far, but I'm hoping that's just due to everyone getting their "summer-vacation" schedules together.
The ride, as planned though is still ON.
It's not the most exciting course, but the FIREWORKS will make up for that!

About 100km from start to finish – and not very fast either, but it should be a great day out.

>Alcyone, Sarah: I'm looking forward to seeing you both there on your new bikes.
>kpykc (Crux): I got your PM – Thanks for replying. If you can do 70km a day, then you can definitely do 90km! Please join us.
>Motionid: Looking forward to meeting you too – It will be great to finally put all the "names" to the "faces".
>Phil Harris: As for the "post-ride festivities", that's what the fireworks are for!
There's a convenience-store on the main corner where we can get "beverages, etc", so it's not a big issue – the atmosphere will be lively – as long as we don't run out of supplies.
>Nobu: We'll meet you at about 2pm, as we ride down Arakawa on the way to Kasai-rinkai-koen.

That's a total of 7 riders so far.
If anyone else wants to join us, get your summer holiday plans in order, and if you're still going to be in Tokyo on the 11th, you have no excuse for not coming along.

If we can get more than 15 people, I'll ask Thomas to make this an "Official" ride.

For the other people who are still concerned about getting home... Trust me! Going home on the bike will be at least twice as fast as taking the train home.
Also, there are lots of places where we can lock the bikes up safely - as long as we get there by 5pm.

Yoroshiku!
Travis

Vacation

I would be up for this one as it would fit perfectly with my current recovery regime but alas I will be away in the UK.....zannen desu ne !

Recovery regime includes beer too ....according to the doc....in smaller quantities. So I guess as long as I stick to the smaller cans then all should be well ?:)

Charles

I will be in !

I would like to join you all. Living western Tokyo, I may have to pedal over 40Km:mad: to the fireworks place. But it will be ok, I might rinko back home.:p
Yorosiku onegaishimasu, Tora san.

Minoru Arai

I would be there too but have long standing dinner engagement that night. However if things fall through, I will let you know.

please count me in!

tora-san

私も参加させてください:)
Tokyo palace at 10:30
でいいですか?
詳しくはどの辺り?
楽しみにしています:D

Finally made a map!

Sorry for not getting back to you all sooner!
I've finally got a map for the course - 96km from start to finish (not including the ride there & back).
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/tokyo/684716640

>Chazzer: Sorry you can't make it - But have fun in sunny ol' England, eh!
>Edogawakikkoman; Ash: If your plans change suddenly, by all means, please join us - Pete; somewhere along Arakawa in the mid-afternoon might suit you.
And Ash; you could join us as we roll up "Kampachi-dori - probably as it crosses Ome-kaido around 12:30-ish.

>Arai-san: Thanks for joining us! You could meet us along Kampachi-dori as well - Have a look at the map, and let me know which intersection is best for you.
We'll be riding up there between 12:00 - 1:00.
>Shinobu: Maybe it will just be you & me at Tokyo Palace at 10:30. At least until we know where we will meet all the other people.

This is for the other riders who said they would come too:

>Alcyone & Sarah: You also can choose the full-course, starting from Tokyo Palace at 10:30, or if you want to ride from Kashiwa, you could meet us along the Arakawa cycling road underneath Mito-kaido (Rte.6) at about 2pm.
>kpyck (Crux): I'm not sure where you live in Tokyo, so please look at the map, and let me know where the best place would be to meet you.
>Motionid: You too! Let me know the best place for you to hook up with everyone-else, and we'll see you there.
>Phil Harris: If you're still up for it, I reckon the Rte.15 bridge, as it crosses Tamagawa would be the best place for us to meet - it's closest to Yokohama.
Let me know your thoughts.

Here's the map one more time:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/tokyo/684716640

Everybody, have a look and check the most convenient meet place for each of you. If you can give me locations, I should be able to figure out what time you should be there by.
Really look forward to seeing you all (some of you for the first time).
Rubber down!
Travis

Finally for the first time ...

Hello,

The first time I visited this site was when I just got my bike and I was looking for a "quiet" and fun place to ride in Tokyo. Unfortunately, I didn't find neither a "quiet" place nor a fun place to ride yet. Coming from a country with wide opened space, I have given up the idea to enjoy a peaceful ride inside Tokyo.

So now I am seeking to ride with a bunch of crazy people instead (and hopefully have some fun). I trained every week-end when my schedule and the weather permit it, and I think I am ready to join this "short" tour with my mountain bike.

I have ridden 13 times times in Arakawa and increased my distance up to 84 km. I came back home totally exhausted everytime, but I guess I can make the distance with some drag.

So where is the meeting point at the Tokyo Imperial Palace ?

>kpyck (Crux): I'm not sure where you live in Tokyo, so please look at the map, and let me know where the best place would be to meet you.

I live in Ota, 5 minutes walk to Ookayama st., near Senzoku lake, but I think the most suitable place for me to meet you would be the intersection of Route-246 and Kampachi-dori.

まだ・・・

tora-san
まだ決定ではないですが、都合が合えば参加したいです:)
もし参加出来るなら多摩川サイクリングロードに入るところの
ガス橋で合流させてください:bike:

Meeting times & places.

I'm just going from the replies, so I hope I have everything right...

The first meeting place - 10:15,
In front of Tokyo Palace, just south of "Otemon" - Directly in front of Tokyo station, where the tour buses all park (Note: There's a police-box on the corner).
Let's meet in front of the police box (koban - 交番の前で)。

Travis
Shinobu
Yoko Ibe
Elvis
Motionid(?)

We'll be be rolling out from there right on 10:30, so please be 15 minutes early.

It's less than 20km to Tamagawa from there (and allowing for any problems) it shouldn't take us more than an hour.
We'll roll up the Tamagawa cycling-road and meet Imai-san at "Gas-bashi" at about 11:35.
>Imai-san: 都合が良ければ、11:30までに「ガス橋」に来てくれますか?
そしたら、どっち?東京都の方か?神奈川県の方か?

After that we'll roll slowly up to Rte.246, cross the river, and meet "kpykc" on the corner of Rte.246 & Kampachi-dori between 12:00 & 12:10.
>kpykc: Can you be there right on 12:00? We might be a bit early, in which case we'll wait for you. If we're late, please wait for us.

From there, we'll head up Kampachi-dori to meet Arai-san - 8km from R246.
>Arai-san: 西東京から来ると、ちょっと地図を見て「井の頭通と五日市街道」が環八通に当たる交差点の方が分かり易いでしょう?違う道で来るなら、教えて下さい。
一応、12:30でいいですか?

After we meet Arai-san along Kampachi, we'll head directly north until we hit Rte.17. Once we're on R17, it only a very short ride to Arakawa - Note: There's a convenience store between there, where we can fill up our drink-bottles and have a short rest (about 20 minutes, if we keep to the schedule) before we hit the river cycling-road.

That will be the last stop for the next 30km until we reach Kasai-rinkai-koen.
The pace will be slow, and it's possible we'll have a bit of a head-wind.
We will also pick up Nobu-chan along the way - Around 2:00.

We can get snacks / late lunch at the park before we head in to watch the fireworks.
Still waiting to hear from:
Alcyone,
Motionid.
What's happening guys? Where are you going to be?

I hope this arrangement suits everybody.
Looking forward to it!
Travis

I'm in

Hello all,

I will join this ride too.

Travis,

I will be in front of Tokyo Palace.
Thanks for organising

I look forward to seeing you all!:D

Newton

I will meet you in front of the palace.

Travis,

Sorry for this belated response. I will be at the first meeting spot at 10:15. I am looking foward to riding downtown Tokyo since I have never done this before. Living in country side, I always go directly to the mountain area.

But please excuse my leaving before 8:00 after riding. I will riding back home:bike:. I hope I can look at the fireworks just a short time.

Minoru Arai

please count me in!

Hi ! This is SHIBAGON.

I want to join this event:) please count me in!

しばごんです。こんにちはー。
家の所用も済んだので、参加させてください。当日は、Shinobuさんと
一緒に行きます(10:30に Tokyo Palace のドコで集合かな?)。

Hello,

The first time I visited this site was when I just got my bike and I was looking for a "quiet" and fun place to ride in Tokyo. Unfortunately, I didn't find neither a "quiet" place nor a fun place to ride yet. Coming from a country with wide opened space, I have given up the idea to enjoy a peaceful ride inside Tokyo.

So now I am seeking to ride with a bunch of crazy people instead (and hopefully have some fun). I trained every week-end when my schedule and the weather permit it, and I think I am ready to join this "short" tour with my mountain bike.

I have ridden 13 times times in Arakawa and increased my distance up to 84 km. I came back home totally exhausted everytime, but I guess I can make the distance with some drag.

So where is the meeting point at the Tokyo Imperial Palace ?

84km is difficult by Mountain bike! With a road bike your distance and comfort would increase greatly!
You should buy ours, as we are leaving soon!

I rode the Arakawa course on a folding bike. It took 8 hours for only a short distance!

I am planning to attend, and I will try to map out the meeting point tomorrow on a practice run.

Back
Top Bottom