What's new

Finally she's ready to roll

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
After a lot of work I'm proud to present my new machine. Just waiting for a MOST Tigerlite 1K stem (100g) and bottle cages etc.

003.jpg

As this was the first time to build up a bike it was all a learning experience for me. I got my LBS to fine tune it and cut the steering tube, which will need cutting again after putting on the new stem. The only mistake I made was to cut the front derailleur housing with the wire still in it......and man I was shocked at that coz it was gore wiring, almost impossible to find here in Japan. Anyone know where i can get some? For the time being the front derailleur is wired with jagwire and housed by gore. We'll see how that relationship goes:confused:

Also a little disappointed with the fulcrum crank, it's a little red for my liking and may find itself under attack wth a black magic marker in the near future:cool:

Took her for a spin today and was amazed at how stiff it was and responsive to my pedal strokes. The SRAM RED was beautiful and the gears just snap into place, no fuss, just damned fast. The braking was also incredible.

I had it weighed in the bike shop today : It's sub 7kg folks. Maybe this will finally improve my poor form:p

The forecast for tomorrow and the day after is rain. Oh well, might have to build up somethig else coz I loved doing that. :D Let me know what you think? Any suggestions?

Mike that is an excellent looking bike. Wouldn't worry about the front cables if it's shifting smooth.

Looks really great. I think the red on the crank goes nicely with the touches of red on the frame and on the gear shifters.

Have fun with her!

Belissimo!!!

It's a perfect machine...
If I were to steal it...I'd only change the pedals! :rolleyes:

Don't forget to put some clear seals on the frame where the cables rub on the frame! Put mine on last night. My old Trek has a lot of cable friction marks!

Very Niiiice!

Mike,
That's a lovely looking machine and comes in at a good weight too! Will have to find some muddy rindos to lead you down ;)

I quite like the flash of red on the crank. It's quite subtle. Leave it a few days and see what you think before you get the black paint out. You could always cover it with some black insulating tape first to see if you like it...

You might want to rotate your bars up a little bit. The downward angle of your brake hoods will put extra strain on your shoulders and neck when you're riding on the hoods. Most people find that having the top of the hoods horizontal is more comfortable. Personal preference of course, and one you can easily fiddle around with until you find a comfortable position.

Enjoy!
AW.

Looks really great. I think the red on the crank goes nicely with the touches of red on the frame and on the gear shifters.

Have fun with her!

Agreed....stunning looking bike and its a shame you already got the pedals as the red Look Keo's would have balanced it all out perfectly!

Stunning bike.

I like the looks Mike ! The Fulcrum crankset with red is no mismatch at all. Under-seven :cool:...wow!

You might want to rotate your bars up a little bit. The downward angle of your brake hoods will put extra strain on your shoulders and neck when you're riding on the hoods. Most people find that having the top of the hoods horizontal is more comfortable. Personal preference of course, and one you can easily fiddle around with until you find a comfortable position.

Agree this can become uncomfortable. Feel the same with my own new baby which has SRAM Force shifters. Their geometry is a bit different from Shimano - more confortable when holding from below, but less so when holding them from above. Rotating the handle bar up means that it becomes less comfortable in the lower position.

This is a bit of a tough one...

That is a beautiful and fast-looking bike, Mike. Congratulations, buddy!

And under 7kg? Wow. With or without pedals?

I like the red flourish on the cranks!

Deej

Some very useful points guys. So far everyone likes the red flourish in the cranks, hey? Well I'm happy to say it's starting to grow on me too.

Edogawakikkoman, I'm gonna make the most of this rain and head to my LBS and buy exactly that. Thanks mate:)

Alan, yeah I had this discussion with the mechanic at the shop yesterday, and the MOST stem which is coming is at a different angle and should naturally lift the bars up. Until it arrives though I will try your suggestion.

Thanks for all the comments guys. A big thanks must also go to Philip for working out the geometry for this frame. Without his help I wouldn't have bought it. Cheers buddy.

p.s. James, there's enough of the colour red for me in the cranks:confused:

pps. Deej that's without peddles, but the Look keos weigh 230g total, and the new stem coming is 100g, so it should come in at an even 7kg, maybe just under. And just think I could drop another 300-400g with tubular deep rim carbons wheels.....tempting

003.jpg

Blimey!

Very nice looking bike that. Bet it rides nice!

Interesting to read this is the first time you have ever built a bike... With gear like this, were you sponsored or something before?!?

Anyway, sick SICK machine. Very jealous!

What was the total price, if you don't mind me asking...

:D

Owen, I've PM'd you. Goodluck with your search for a new steed.

Dale, yeah mate it's be good if we could get a few rides in before you leave. This weather is driving me nuts. Did you get that wheel taken care of?

Hey Mike,

Very nice :) You have done a great job building her up. The big down tube makes it look really powerful. Cool!

Philip

Dale, yeah mate it's be good if we could get a few rides in before you leave. This weather is driving me nuts. Did you get that wheel taken care of?

Bike shop has put in an order, they couldn't sell me just a rear wheel. I didn't understand why...apparently a set is a set.

But at least the leg is all better. So I've just been putting in the hours on the trainer instead.

Update

Over the last few months I've been having problems with my HED wheels. Firstly, the bearings needed changing in the front wheel. Got that sorted out at no cost but recently the back wheel developed a nice buckle. I took it into Sagami Cycles and Hiyoshi san found a crack in the rim, making it impossible to repair.

Upon hearing this news I made a rash decision and bought a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL clinchers. Got a reasonable deal but man have I spent some cash in the last month on bikes:confused:

So once I got home and put them on the HED's def look nicer imo. It's the weave on the Cosmics that I don't like that much. The HED wheels have a finer weave that perfectly match my bike.

Anyway, as the with the red in the cranks I'm sure I'll grow used to it, but if I can get this problem sorted out with HED I'm sure I'll be selling an almost brand new set of Cosmic's at a bargain price.

Let me know if you're intereseted. Deej, I reckon the weave perfectly matches the one in your frame;)

Seems like you need some of these, Mr. Moneybags!

Matching blue stickers! Go on go on go on go on go on!

Mike just remember that when you're riding no one knows what wheels you have, you'll be judged by your speed not your steed. Get out there and put some miles on that beauty, oh and a black marker will clean up that red splash real nice:D

Over the last few months I've been having problems with my HED wheels. Firstly, the bearings needed changing in the front wheel.

I hear you, Mike. I had to replace the hub bearings on both of my HED wheel sets (Ardennes FR, Jet 4 FR) after less than 3,000km, but HED was very supportive. They sent me eight bearings for free. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another HED set, but I'm also drooling over Alan's D-A dishes. :D

Back
Top Bottom