What's new

Finally! First crash...

Phil, that's terrible news and I wish you a speedy recovery. The way a lot of people in cars indicate at the last moment here scares the crap out of me.

All the best mate and I agree with the others here, helmets are a must and I'm glad you were wearing one at the time.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the crash, Phil. Good to hear you had your helmet on, but it sounds like you still saw a few stars nevertheless. I had a similar experience about fours years ago with a car turning/signaling at the last moment - flying over the handlebars, across the hood (I think you call it a bonnet), and crash landing in the road. I got up quickly, and thought I was alright until I noticed a bump in the collarbone area. I was expecting to hear that it was broken, but after the x-rays it turned out to be a separated shoulder. I've haven't broken a collarbone (yet), so I can't say which is worse, but I imagine both are painful. Anyway... a few weeks and you should be good as new and ready to head for the hills again. In the meantime, take it easy and get well soon.

Condolences, Phil; you experienced my dread - the pinch from the left-turner. How was the driver`s reaction? It`s amazing the way most drivers just automatically think they have to get ahead of any cyclist, regardless of how fast that cyclist may be going! I`ve seen cars nearly go off cliffs trying to pass me on a downhill in the mountains.

And I`m a firm believer in helmets too: I headplanted from my mtb in canada - the helmett broke completely in two! And left me with no damage at all, as youcanseeeeieovhdohsgoihndvj ijvdlhidshgoahgoehfoilkkjlj!

Hi Phil,

I just want to add my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Serves to remind us that we need to ride defensively at all times. But even with great care sh*t happens!

Take it easy and I hope to join one of your great Boso rides when you are back in the saddle again.

Keren

Gute Besserung !

Phil,

sorry to hear about your crash and I hope that you will recover soon and be back on the bike in no time. Although it is surely painful, one can see the psoitive side that you didn't broke any legs or arms which would require much rehabilitation. The insurance claim will be settle eventually, this is just a matter of "gambaru" and holding out forever.

Not sure, but I noticed quite an increase of traffic accidents during the last years on top of the crashes that occur mostly out of own stupidity, like riding on the icy roads of Yabitsu or speeding down over speed bumps at Tsuru.

Is this because there are more members at TCC and Positivo Espresso? Or the traffic has increased? Or we riding more? Faster?

I hope that everybody stays healthy in 2010.

speedy recovery

Only just heard about your crash off Pete while I was trying to organise a ride up to Scuba next weekend , bugger.
I hope your recovery is coming along, not too bored lying in bed looking at your Bianchi box in the corner. If you up to it I will call around to your place next weekend.
I hope your legal action goes well.

DT

Back from the doctor today and bone union finally visible on the x-rays, so one step closer to back in the saddle... :D

I'd probably been overly cautious keeping the shoulder immobile, though, because when the doc asked me to lift my arm I could only manage to get it halfway to horizontal...you don't realize how heavy your arm is until your shoulder muscles all waste away... :warau:

Still a way from sorting out insurance stuff, but will report when settled.

Back from the doctor today and bone union finally visible on the x-rays, so one step closer to back in the saddle... :D

I'd probably been overly cautious keeping the shoulder immobile, though, because when the doc asked me to lift my arm I could only manage to get it halfway to horizontal...you don't realize how heavy your arm is until your shoulder muscles all waste away... :warau:

Still a way from sorting out insurance stuff, but will report when settled.

I found that swimming helped me with my dislocated collarbone.. hope you get the mobility and strength back soon...

Cripes.

Brutal car swiping there, friend.

Coming from a BMX / DH MTB background I am used to the hits, but getting whacked by a car can not be nice. Sincere sympathy mate. :eek:uch:

Here's to hoping you get fixed up soon.

Take care on the roads mate.:bike::bike:

you don't realize how heavy your arm is until your shoulder muscles all waste away... :warau:

I recommend steady resistance training:
Start with a 350ml can of beer then progress to the 500ml size.
Those 1 liter cans were design specifically for rehabilitation!
Finally, get one of those big German beer hall mugs.:cool:

I recommend steady resistance training:
Start with a 350ml can of beer then progress to the 500ml size.
Those 1 liter cans were design specifically for rehabilitation!
Finally, get one of those big German beer hall mugs.:cool:

Got it. I'm assuming lots of reps throughout the day for maximum effectiveness, right?

Get Well Soon!

Hey Phil, sorry it took me so long to offer any consolatory wishes. It's always unnerving to here of a friend being in an accident – I don't even want to say the "C"-word!

I seriously hope you're feeling better, and it sounds like you are – Remember, the first step to recovery is "being able to type, and joke about it with your mates while drinking slightly more than usual". The second step, is buying a new bike with the insurance money – but that will have to wait.

Something you mentioned in your initial post though, reminded me of a very similar thought I had the last time I hit the pavement. Does this sound familiar?

Here is, "An Ode to a Grey Area":

The human brain is a most wonderful mechanism. Even in the midst of potentially sustaining serious damage, it is able to carry on a conversation with itself – something akin to the following:

"We're crashing, aren't we?"
"Yes we are."
"There's nothing we can do to get out of it, is there?"
"No, there isn't."
"Do we have the helmet on?"
"Yes, we do!"
"Cool! Does that mean we don't have to throw our arms up to protect ourselves?"
"Yes, it does."
"That's lucky… Let's see if this helmet thing works anyway!"
… Waiting …
… Waiting …
… Waiting …
KEEERRAACCCKKKK!
"WOW! It does work!"
(Sighs of relief) PHEW!

It's not that amazing that the brain actually has this conversation – It's almost to be expected; But that this entire dialogue has been completed within about 37 milliseconds, is quite incredible.

Then of course, there's the alternative conversation – This conversation will only ever happen ONCE to any person of normal intelligence:

"We're crashing, aren't we?"
"Yes, we are."
"There's nothing we can do to get out of it, is there?"
"No, there isn't."
"Do we have our helmet on?"
"…Oh… SH!T…"
"ARMS UP!!!"
"ARMS UP!!!"
"ARMS UP!!!"
"I hope this works!"
"Me too!"
(Fade to black)…

Yeah, that is basically spot on.

Hate crashing, but for some reason (perverse, for sure), the milliseconds of floating before the wallop! seem to be the calmest I have ever felt.

Would trade them in for not crashing at all though.:eek:uch:

Back
Top Bottom