What's new

Field Cycles custom build

xDOMx

Maximum Pace
Nov 21, 2014
Having had conversations with @leicaman , as well as others, I decided to do a 'build thread' for my custom frame.

Having had a 2 hour conversation with Harry at Field Cycles, and having agonised over which builder to use, where, etc, I decided to get in the build queue to have a Field made. Their work is incredible and, to be honest, I feel that the total in-house package offered has yielded some great looking (and, from what I hear, great riding) results (that and getting a steel frame built in Sheffield just seems right to me).

My geometry was finalised with the help of @ProRaceMechanic and, whilst my current Cannondale SystemSix (which I love but I am not convinced over longer distances) has been very good to me, I am more convinced on custom (again, for too many reasons to list here).

My idea is to make something fast and responsive but that won't destroy me over longer distances (I hope to avoid the pitfall of trying to get something made that tries to everything and can do nothing).

Having already paid my deposit and had numerous conversations with Harry, I have the following specs:
  • Integrated seat post together with integrated stem/bar setup
  • Mixture of tubesets with a strong leaning towards stainless
  • Protype CNC custom disc dropouts
  • Dedacciai flattened chain stays
  • Di2 with hydraulic discs (probably 140 size rotors)
  • English (68mm BSA) standard bottom bracket
I've done a little comparison as to geometry between my current and custom bike (the SystemSix measurements in red and the highlighted measurements are those that were taken during my bike fit/will remain the same).

By this stage I have also discussed tubing and the photo below shows Harry's current feelings (based on our discussions)(these have not been finalised).

Geo comparison.jpg 8ecd654ef5ff3ded3385df697c5acc65b168cbe6.png

I must admit, I hadn't heard of Feld cycles before but they look beautiful. I would possibly even consider changing my decision in the N+1 thread from a Speedvagen to a Field.
Looking forward to seeing the progression of your bike through this thread.
Btw, looking at those initial pictures, I would also recommend spokes, brakes and a chainset;)

@xDOMx

Good thread.

Question; given that the top tube is going to be 35mm shorter than your SystemSix, why are you also shortening the stem from 100mm to 90mm? Using such a short stem will have the bars sitting quite far back, in relation to the fork dropouts. This will be quite 'cruisy'. Interested to know the geometry decisions that led to this set up.

Cheers.

The stem length and TT has been worked out to avoid toe overlap.

It won't be cruisy. I have already tested it on an adjustable frame and it's not aggressive but isn't 'sat up' by any means.

After what feels like an eternity (a number of issues with the flat mount solution for the rear triangle and also the custom CNC dropouts), we have progress.

Front triangle offered up, cut, in the clamp, and being welded.

Copy and paste of Field's Instagram post:

"Brass on the top one silver on the bottom one - nice and smooth from the torch helps the thumbs when it comes to polishing up."
12568219_953045131430045_2121676021_n.jpg

@xDOMx How much detail are they going into for you, regarding the technicalities of the welding process?

Also, are they giving you any technical details about the paint / painting process?

Not a huge amount of detail. It's largely visual and that was just taken from their Instagram. It was be partially lost on me but I'm getting bits and bobs.

Paint design discussions will start pretty soon and that'll include paint types etc.

Getting along well with this now after a number of delays.

The front triangle fabrication started...and stopped fairly rapidly when, when mitring, Harry noticed a hairline crack in the 931 downtube (the second time this has happened to him with Reynolds stainless - perhaps bad luck).

Given this, the downtube will now be Columbus XCR instead (the top tube will remain ovalised 853 as he hasn't had any issues with non-stainless Reynolds).

In addition, there had been numerous delays caused by the flat mount solution at the back as Field have custom designed a solution (CNC as usual with them) and had issues with the guy fabricating for them. They moved it to someone more reliable so, fingers crossed, the solution will be ready and the rear triangle can be completed imminently.

The wiring hoses will be internal (in the downtube) then under the chain stay to the disc caliper; the Di2 will also all be internal.

Given the timing, I've now started consulting with Tom (the design chap there) about paint so that paint can be cracked on with as soon as the frame has been fabricated.

@D'Pioneer

Is it an integrated headset?

Yep. It will be a Chris King i7 integrated headset.

Are the dropouts hollow?

Not sure yet. The rear triangle hasn't been finalised as the flat mount solution isn't quite done yet (still with the machinist).

How are they doing the seat clamp?

The seatpost will be ISP but with a 'mast topper' (paint matched)(something along these lines: MASTTOPPER).

Paint; are you designing it yourself or having them, or a third party doing it?

One of the attractions with Field is that it is a 3 person team - Harry the frame builder and founder, Tom the creative designer and Cromaworks the painter (some previous work between the designer and painter can be seen HERE).

Given this, you get an 'all-in-one' service but, essentially, the paint design process is me telling Tom what I like/don't like and he will design from there. Their previous paint jobs are pretty amazing and they are renowned for one-off paint jobs so, regardless, I believe the final result will be very special.

That is a press-in headset, not integrated; I meant are the races going to be cut into the headtube itself, rather than use a press-in solution.

Drop-outs; have a look at the Sunday BMX frames (which also originate from Sheffield...) They use hollow dropouts (and an integrated headset), and are steel, of course. The hollow dropouts are lighter and a lot stronger than solid.

ISP; gotcha.

Paint; cool. Look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Ah, I catch your drift as to the headset.

As to that and the rest of it, this in the hands of people much more technically minded than either you or I so I trust them to do what they're famous for doing extremely well. He won't use anything old fashioned or weak so I trust that the final product will be exactly what we discussed together (ad nauseam).

Hang about! I was asking objective build questions in this, a build thread! You shifted things over by calling into question my vast technical prowess!

I kid of course mate. Your input and questions is/are, as always, interesting.

Your level of modesty is, however, as predictable as ever (but that's why we love you!).

About the paint; have they given you options about gloss, matte, candy, metallic, etc?

They haven't but there are no limitations to what they can do. I lean towards matte but I'm massively undecided on any of that at this point.

I'll be led by the design chap (his design will be based on my initial preferences then he'll run from there).

@xDOMx so you are thinking of going Matt huh? I haven't seen many Matt finished field bikes. Can't wait to see what they come up with. John's desk is just full of paint pots from past projects. It's pretty cool to see a pot with "Ian's yellow" written on it.

@xDOMx so you are thinking of going Matt huh? I haven't seen many Matt finished field bikes. Can't wait to see what they come up with. John's desk is just full of paint pots from past projects. It's pretty cool to see a pot with "Ian's yellow" written on it.

Thinking of matte but it's famously not as resilient to knocks and scrapes (and I'm painfully clumsy)...

Yeah I am pretty damn excited. Feels closer to the finishing straight now.

Hmmm if you are going DI2 see if the battery is capable of supporting this paint :D

Back
Top Bottom