What's new

Field Cycles custom build

I certainly agree the DA Di2 components are not worth the price over the Ult Di2 parts especially as the pro teams prefere to use the front Ult Di2 derailleur when they need to use a stronger motor (for non-circular chainrings, etc).
But I have to disagree on the difference of the latest 105 rim brakes vs DA (or Ult for that matter). I have the 105s on a bike back in the UK and whilst it's not horrendously worse it is easily noticeable. The first time I use it, each time I visit, I forget and brake too late, then over compensate and usually lock up

I run the 6870 Di2 levers and derailleurs with a DA 9000 crank and DA 9010 calipers. Am pretty happy with it. Went with the DA crank because of non-standard size, and the calipers because I needed direct mount.

My advice would be to get the full 6870 groupset, and put the money you would save vs DA towards a powermeter.

Edit; And with the 6870 I can run a 32 in the rear when I head to Fuji.

And with the 6870 I can run a 32 in the rear when I head to Fuji.
@Doug3 does that mean you have the mid-cage? Any noticeable difference in performance with the mid cage on Di2?

Interested to know for my 1x11 bike I have where I would like to run a 32 on the back (I managed to get up Wada with a 42 on the front and 26 on the back in my fastest time ever but it was painful and I would like to go for a 44 or 46 on the front)

I certainly agree the DA Di2 components are not worth the price over the Ult Di2 parts especially as the pro teams prefere to use the front Ult Di2 derailleur when they need to use a stronger motor (for non-circular chainrings, etc).
But I have to disagree on the difference of the latest 105 rim brakes vs DA (or Ult for that matter). I have the 105s on a bike back in the UK and whilst it's not horrendously worse it is easily noticeable. The first time I use it, each time I visit, I forget and brake too late, then over compensate and usually lock up
I guess it's probably more noticeable when going backwards, from DA to 105 rather than the other way around. Must admit, I'm excited about getting disc brakes on my next bikE. Sure I'll notice the difference (especially in the wet... Not that I try to ride in the wet though ;) ).

@Doug3 does that mean you have the mid-cage? Any noticeable difference in performance with the mid cage on Di2?

Yes, I have one. Don't notice any difference in performance.

On my other bike, I also have been running a long cage WiFli Sram setup with a Rival rear derailleur and Red brifter for years without any noticeable performance problems. Not only with the 11-32, but also even with a "regular" 11-23 cassette.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

This hasn't been much of a build thread.

To be honest, after the accident I had fallen out love with cycling in a way and kind of taken my mind off the Field (partially through some stress or anxiety caused by the accident, riding is helping me get through that though).

However, the Field is now very close to being sent to me.

Proper final build spec and pictures coming on building (these pictures are from Sheffield, this week).

I shelled out some money for a custom Speedvagen frame, Di groupset, integrated bar/stem and integrated carbon seatpost with a pair of Enve wheels, disc brakes. Sent to me in the states when I was there on vacation in August. Brought it in through customs on my own to avoid import taxes. Just took her out for a maiden voyage yesterday and again today. You will love your custom frame. It is a whole new level of riding.

DSC06885.jpg
Hey someone took my pedals!!!

I shelled out some money for a custom Speedvagen frame, Di groupset, integrated bar/stem and integrated carbon seatpost with a pair of Enve wheels, disc brakes. Sent to me in the states when I was there on vacation in August. Brought it in through customs on my own to avoid import taxes. Just took her out for a maiden voyage yesterday and again today. You will love your custom frame. It is a whole new level of riding.

View attachment 14539
Hey someone took my pedals!!!

Great Speedvagen. Being a Brit, I wanted to support and showcase a British framebuilder but I think SVs are also very nice.

@TokyoLiving that is beautiful!!

@xDOMx looks awesome that! can't wait to see it in action, say on a long ass ride to another coast, or something ;)

Mate, super shakedown ahoy!

@TokyoLiving that is really nice. Interestingly , I'm thinking of a very similar colour for mine. Gives me an idea of what it will look like.

You should start a thread about your custom build. I'd be interested to hear about your experience of going through the process of getting a custom from start to finish.

Lovely looking machines guys!

@xDOMx Is that a carbon fork? I only ask because it wasn't in your original build post and well the enve sticker implies that!

Lovely looking machines guys!

@xDOMx Is that a carbon fork? I only ask because it wasn't in your original build post and well the enve sticker implies that!

Eagle eyed. It is indeed a Enve road disc 2.0 fork.

Whilst this bike will never be a 100% weight weenie build, a carbon fork was always on the cards for both weight and stiffness.

@TokyoLiving that is really nice. Interestingly , I'm thinking of a very similar colour for mine. Gives me an idea of what it will look like.

You should start a thread about your custom build. I'd be interested to hear about your experience of going through the process of getting a custom from start to finish.
@leicaman that's a good idea, I will start a thread. It was actually a great experience. I'll put it up over the weekend.

Now I must ride!

Back
Top Bottom