What's new

Field Cycles- A custom frame

So I've had three longish rides on the Field now and although the first two rides didn't go exactly to plan, I absolutely love the bike. She rides so much better than I had imagined. I know lots of people who ride steel say that it is a really nice ride, but I wasn't prepared for how much nicer it would feel. It's hard to put into words, the difference between my Canyon CF SLX and the Field but I guess the best way to describe it is that the Canyon feels kind of flimsy. Don't get me wrong , the Canyon is a great bike that I've ridden on some amazing adventures. I just isn't as nice to ride as the Field. The Field is very sure footed and feels planted to the Tarmac. Over rough surfaces, the Field is much smoother.

Of course, the Field is heavier (pretty much bang on 8kg with pedals/cages and all mounts etc, compared to about 6.2kg for the Canyon) but that doesn't concern me. If I was racing in a hill climb I may want to ride the Canyon for the weight advantage but other than that, I think I'll be grabbing the Field each and every time I go for a ride.

She is wearing different shoes at the moment as I managed to get a rear puncture last weekend. Taking old sealant with me wasn't the best idea either. Luckily, I ride with a spare tubular. Just waiting for some nice latex tubs to arrive from Germany then she'll be back on the shallow climbing wheels

IMG_6218.JPG

IMG_6217.JPG

IMG_6216.JPG

IMG_6219.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

IMG_6215.JPG

Lovely photos of a lovely bike!

....not tempted to go with some nice gold-rimmed wheels, to go with it? I know a man who has some....

We had a "made in Japan" special at the bike shop here two weeks ago.

Yonex, Gokiso and Toyo attended.

Unfortunately for me Niigata based Yonex will only make an M sized frame.

However steel brand Toyo are made to order custom builds.

I tried out one of their off the peg XL bikes. And it was a really nice smooth ride.

They also do some interesting steel lugs / carbon tubing (by graphite design) bikes which are really beautiful.

Website here if anyone is interested.

http://toyoframe.com/en/

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Back
Top Bottom