What's new

Festive 500

xDOMx

Maximum Pace
Nov 21, 2014
Who's giving it a go this year?

Regardless of people's feelings for or against Rapha, I think this is a useful tool to get people out and about over the season.

I'm documenting it by way of one disposable camera (as well as the normal Instagram nonsense).

I joined it for the free achievement badge to sew onto my cub scouts uniform (Shimano windproof jacket). I'll be doing a bit of extra training anyway to maintain my reputation as one of the best climbers in Tokyo (haha!) before the 180+ km Bonen-megalo-brevet-kai, so it shouldn't be much of a hassle.

Trying to run it based in a day-by-day plan but paying attention to how my legs are feeling, i.e. if there's more in the tank, keep going!

All done. I hope everyone has had a good festive season and got out where they could. Hope to join some rides next year.

Will do this in 2015, as with last year.

I found that last year's effort started my 2015 well so, hopefully, this year's will do the same for my 2016.

I don't think the idea behind it is about riding 500 standard kilometres in eight regular days that you would ride regardless.

tgt9d.jpg

For any cyclist (I would argue anyone at all, within reason), 500 kilometres in 8 days is emminently doable. Most on the forum would've done something more than that in a given 8 days during our time as cyclists.

The point is (to me and, as far as I am aware, the point behind it for Rapha in starting it):

- The conditions (not often very bad in Japan)
- The company
- The 'type' of KMs
- The story

Regardless of who has the biggest balls in the Japan foreigner cycling community, it was merely a question of who will do it (and me stating what my particular view on it is, i.e. it was helpful for the start of the year to get off to a good start, especially as 2015 was my first year of taking anything close to a 'serious' view on road cycling).

As for bragging, I'll save that for those who are best (or worst?) at it.

Pre-emptive handbags at the ready below:

6b85347c9d6c473ec32899fe8fc3704b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom