What's new

Fenders for 650b and 700c wheels

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Hi all
I'm commuting to work at the moment on my niner RLT and I've decided it's time to get some fenders for the wet weather. I have two sets of wheels for my niner, 700c x38mm tyres and 650b x 47mm tyres. I'm looking at the PDW full metal fenders and was wondering if I can use the 650b 55mm fenders for both wheelsets. I'm guessing that the 55mm should be fine for the 700c, just quite a lot bigger than the 38mm tyres. Am I right?
Thanks.

The curvacture of the 650 fender is too tight to fit 700C wheels. Sorry mate you may have to choose just one size for commuting and stick with it for the rainy season. Brilliant fenders BTW, solid and chatter free. They do scratch up fairly easily however.

Attachments

• pdw_fullcoveragefender_fitguide_1.pdf
    557.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
The curvacture of the 650 fender is too tight to fit 700C wheels. Sorry mate you may have to choose just one size for commuting and stick with it for the rainy season. Brilliant fenders BTW, solid and chatter free. They do scratch up fairly easily however.
Thanks for the response. Glad I asked as I was just about to order some 650b fenders.

I've just come across Honjo by sim works. They make Rene Herse fenders so I might get some beastie 700c and hope they also fit the 650b tyres. If they don't, at least I'll be able to use them with my 700c commuting wheel set.

Hi all
I'm commuting to work at the moment on my niner RLT and I've decided it's time to get some fenders for the wet weather. I have two sets of wheels for my niner, 700c x38mm tyres and 650b x 47mm tyres. I'm looking at the PDW full metal fenders and was wondering if I can use the 650b 55mm fenders for both wheelsets. I'm guessing that the 55mm should be fine for the 700c, just quite a lot bigger than the 38mm tyres. Am I right?
Thanks.
I've just ordered a pair of SKS Speedrockers from Wiggle, as they are out of stock with distributors in Japan according to my local bike shop guy. After doing quite a bit of online comparison these look easy to install (as well as take off) and can cover the range of tyre sizes I run as well. I intend to avoid trains for quite some time so mudguards will be vital this rainy season.

If I can find where to get the friends referral link from Wiggle I will pop it here if anyone want s a discount code.

I emailed PDW before posting here to see what they recommended. They got back to me over night to say that none of their fenders would fit both my sets of wheels. They then recommended I look at Sim works by Honjo which was super nice of them to do. I ordered the Honjo smooth 62mm in black.

My honjo fenders arrived yesterday. I thought it would be a half hour job installing them. How wrong I was. They came with zero instructions so I had to start googling and watching YouTube videos. After wrestling with them for a few hours last night, I finally got the front one fitted. Now for the rear 😬

The black looks very nice on the website and they should help make your wet commutes almost fun! Are you planning on giving them a run out on the 650bs up in the mountains this rainy season too?

Fenders/mudguards are fine, and two of my three bikes have them.

But for those who may have become interested in them based on this discussion, one thing to keep in mind is that unless they're clip-ons--or something else that I haven't discovered--they pretty much make bagging your bike impossible. (for training it somewhere)

And they're a little something else to deal with a little when you're fixing a flat, or even doing maintenance at home. Eg, pop the front wheel off and you can't set your bike down on the fork since the fender will be in the way. And so on.

Fenders/mudguards are fine, and two of my three bikes have them.

But for those who may have become interested in them based on this discussion, one thing to keep in mind is that unless they're clip-ons--or something else that I haven't discovered--they pretty much make bagging your bike impossible. (for training it somewhere)

And they're a little something else to deal with a little when you're fixing a flat, or even doing maintenance at home. Eg, pop the front wheel off and you can't set your bike down on the fork since the fender will be in the way. And so on.
Ha ha, yep I found out about that yesterday. My bike won't fit on the bike Maintenance stand now because of the front fender. Luckily I have a different bike stand that will take it. Also, the bike won't go on the bike wall storage contraption I made so I'll have to fashion a front axle stand out of some spare wood.

True for my NFE, but there are some bikes with fenders that do disassemble in to a rink-able package. In my son's Araya Federal the whole fork with front wheel and fender separates as one part, but most road bikes don't work that way. There are also fenders that can be split by removing a thumb screw that connects two parts.

You can still lay it down sideways.

I am now using SKS plastic / aluminium fenders designed for 26" MTBs on my 650B NFE and they work great. Before that I had hammered Sim Works by Honjo fenders but installation was non-trivial and tire clearance was marginal on the particular model I used.

Back
Top Bottom