Fenders - 2013

Apr 3, 2012
Tama Center <-> Otemachi
So the rainy season has started... And I want to get input on dealing with wet weather and keeping the bicycle in good working order. Fenders seem to be a good solution for keeping most of the grit off the drivetrain (and the rider).

Anyone have a recomendation? I would need clip ons, my current bicycle has no eyelets. I'd like to have decent coverage, at least enough to stop the spray from hitting the running gear. Easy removal for fair weather days.

I found this:
http://lovelybike.blogspot.jp/2012/04/crud-road-racer-fenders.html
http://www.crudproducts.com/

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
I have a set of SKS RaceBlades. Like these (CRC link). They work well and are just big enough to work with 700x25C wet weather tyres on the steel bike yet fit through the Axe of Thor® fork on the carbon bike.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wigglestatic.com%2Fimages%2Fsks%2520raceblade%2520xl.jpg&hash=b7310502586e11de6d01ac338e0a316e

Unlike the Crud fenders, the Raceblades don't try to go through the brake arches. I think the Crud probably provides better weather protection, but the Raceblades are pretty good IMHE. The requirement for zip ties, stick-on pads etc. for Crud puts me off a bit. I like the Raceblades being completely self-contained.

Sheep

Maximum Pace
Jul 27, 2009
Tokyo
Raceblades were recommended to me when I was last in the UK by several people (based on the UK's awful weather).

If you're going to end up wet from the rain anyway though, how do fenders help?

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
If you're going to end up wet from the rain anyway though, how do fenders help?
I have removable fenders on my Bike Friday which I ordered with the bike, as I simply can't understand why one would want to ride in the rain without fenders. I tend to take them off when the weather stays nice for a while. Occasionally I get caught in the rain without them.

Several big differences without fenders:
  • the back of my jersey (or my back pack if I wear one) gets splashed by muddy water. Rain will dry, mud requires washing.
  • my shoes get soaked much more quickly -- very uncomfortable.
  • sand and grit all over the frame and drive train (chain, cassette, derailleurs).
  • water splashed onto the bottom of my saddle, unless I cover it well.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Raceblades were recommended to me when I was last in the UK by several people (based on the UK's awful weather).
...where there's considerably less rain than in Japan.
the back of my jersey (or my back pack if I wear one) gets splashed by muddy water. Rain will dry, mud requires washing.
Scrubbing.

And all the other stuff Jack and Joe said. If you want your bike to stay healthy despite riding in the rain, fenders are a great addition to your arsenal.

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
Chofu
The UK has about half the rainfall of Tokyo! In fact it has a wonderful mild climate perfect for agriculture, sport and character building.
We also have the best teeth, best looking women, soccer players, all our children are above average and let's not forget a food culture second to none!

Sheep

Maximum Pace
Jul 27, 2009
Tokyo
The UK has about half the rainfall of Tokyo! In fact it has a wonderful mild climate perfect for agriculture, sport and character building.
We also have the best teeth, best looking women, soccer players, all our children are above average and let's not forget a food culture second to none!
And four seasons.

Though it rains more in winter, which means Japan's winter is confusing to the sparkly teethed, above average, football playing women cooks.