What's new

Today February 2024

Leave your garmin on the dashboard of the car as your drive back?
Yeah, or even on the bike as you throw it into the back of the car for the drive back, without stopping the recording on the device.

It has happened to me too but then I later trim the ride to end the activity where I actually stopped riding. It's not hard to do in Strava.

Today's ride was the second consecutive ride for which either (i) my phone and/or RwGPS failed to track me, or (ii) it/they did track me but I managed to do some astoundingly dumb series of finger strokes/dabs that RwGPS took as an instruction to chuck out the data. This is getting annoying. I do like to see how far I've ridden; or anyway I do when rides are big, as both of these were (by my effete standards). After all, it's a valuable resource for self-flattery.

I do also have a Cat-Eye speedometer that works as a trip odometer. I think the battery of the sensor is old; but for whatever reason it only shows speed, and increments distance, once it has warmed up. Meeting point for two chums and myself was 25 km or so from where I started, and by that point it was showing a distance of about 5 km. I wasn't paying much attention to it, but I don't think it was consistently incrementing distance for another 15 km or so. And therefore I should add between 20 and 35 km to the distance the odometer showed when I reached home -- thus between 171 and 186 km, which included perhaps 1500 metres of climbing. (Pats self on back.)

I left home at 06:20 and got back home at 18:10. The time included a leisurely sit-down lunch and a leisurely sit-down coffee and cake. As always I was distinctly the slowest member of the little group, so I didn't want to slow things down further by taking photographs.

Lots of grubby snow pushed back from the road onto the pavements/sidewalks (because who cares about pedestrians?); no snow or ice under my tyres

I do also have a Cat-Eye speedometer that works as a trip odometer. I think the battery of the sensor is old; but for whatever reason it only shows speed, and increments distance, once it has warmed up.
I keep a pack of CR2032 lithium batteries (600 yen for 10) in a drawer and every six months or so (I think) I replace the cell in either the speed or cadence sensor of the bike. Being a data guy, I keep a maintenance file in which I track the date when I exchange them.

When the cadence sensor fails, that's easy to spot on the Wahoo because it's one of the fields on the normal display. Without the speed sensor it just reverts to tracking speed and distance via GPS, so the only giveaway is when it's not tracking inside tunnels, which of course not every route has.

My first distance sensor ca. 1978 used a spoke pin and gears instead of a magnet and sensor, so there was no battery to worry about.

I keep a pack of CR2032 lithium batteries (600 yen for 10) in a drawer and every six months or so (I think) I replace the cell in either the speed or cadence sensor of the bike.
My Cat-Eye speedometer's two batteries (one for the device, one for the sensor) came with the Cat-Eye itself, and that came at the same time as, inter alia, the bike's rear hub -- and it's been over a year since the hub started to fragment and was replaced.

Today's ride was the second consecutive ride for which either (i) my phone and/or RwGPS failed to track me, or (ii) it/they did track me but I managed to do some astoundingly dumb series of finger strokes/dabs that RwGPS took as an instruction to chuck out the data. This is getting annoying. I do like to see how far I've ridden; or anyway I do when rides are big, as both of these were (by my effete standards). After all, it's a valuable resource for self-flattery.
Do you keep the phone visible during the ride or tucked away somewhere, following a programmed route or free recording? I can see how it might be possible to hit the pause button accidentally while swiping the screen, but to stop and/or delete the ride requires a special effort to press and hold the pause button to reveal Resume/Finish Ride buttons and then pressing Finish Ride to reveal Save or swiping up to reveal Delete! I think it might be easier that you simply forgot to press Start or perhaps Resume if you had manually Paused. I've done this a few times myself!

@Yogi , the phone's in my jersey pocket. While I'm riding, I normally don't touch it or even glance at it, though I might use it to send or read email while paused. Since the tracking was utterly reliable till a week or so ago, when I do look at the phone during a ride I normally don't even glance at RwGPS. I'm lazily taking a break from riding today, but some time soon I'll go for a little ride and now and again pause to see how RwGPS is doing (or whether it's doing anything at all).

I have noticed that RwGPS's prompts (or buttons, or whatever) are ambiguous. Example: "Start ride": this could mean "You, dear human, may now start your ride", or "Dear human, when you want to start your ride, be sure to tap this first".

And I really should change the battery in the Cat-Eye's sensor.

If you haven't done it, maybe enable spoken alerts, navigation cues and interval announcements. If you don't hear anything every few kilometers or minutes then you'll have a hint that something is amiss.

If you haven't done it, maybe enable spoken alerts, navigation cues and interval announcements

Erm . . . I wouldn't expect any of those as part of a tracking function.

"You have just now exceeded 150 km. Congratulations! Now pause your ride and have a break, have a Kit Kat. From your friends at Nestlé, the world's best-loved food company."

There seems to have been some change to the RwGPS phone software. Previously, you hit "Record", and it would start recording (tracking). There was a green thingie saying "Start Ride" or similar that I took to mean "Yeah, go ahead, human. Start riding." But as of February the same thing (or something looking very much like it) seems to mean "Wanna ride, human? Then click me and start riding."

I did a perambulatory test. It feels strange to use RwGPS without headgear; so for the first time in years, I donned my Akubra "Squatter" hat. At a zebra crossing, I happened to notice a fellow riding a bike with bar mitts; he probably noticed some idjit wearing a giant hat; we exchanged courtesies.

@Kangaeroo , I suppose it's presumptuous of a pommy bastard to wear a "Squatter" hat; I apologize. (I was unembarrassed; just grateful it wasn't windy.)

I hope that people here are riding their bikes and just keeping mum about it, not that they've stopped riding them and are instead spending their waking hours smoking crack, torturing small animals, watching Fox News, or doing whatever it is that non-cyclists do.

Me, I was convinced that there'd be snow last night and snow, slush, ice or frost on the roads. So I chose a route free of anything steep. That was lucky as the night before I realized that I wouldn't be able to ride the bike I'd intended to ride, and instead would have to ride one whose largest sprocket is [gasp]
smaller than its smallest chainwheel. (Go ahead, laugh.)

There turned out to be no snow, ice, slush, or frost. A pleasant ride.

稲村岩

P2241503.JPG

(A curiously flaccid chain, and a horrid state of bar-tape. But it conveyed me comfortably and uncomplainingly.)

Out for Sunday ride spring is really here already fantastic weather for the month of February.

Attachments

• IMG_20240114_140704.jpg
    IMG_20240114_140704.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240101_142757.jpg
    IMG_20240101_142757.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240101_142720.jpg
    IMG_20240101_142720.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240101_142732.jpg
    IMG_20240101_142732.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 12
I got back from San Francisco on Saturday night.

Though I had brought my helmet and SPD shoes with me in the suitcase for a ride with my friend down in Monterey peninsula, I never got to use them because he cancelled because of a health issue. So we just met up for a chat over coffee and cookies and he later gave me a tour of Hopkins Marine Station (Stanford University) at Monterey bay.

During the week in San Francisco I usually moved around on foot, walking 15,000 steps on a few days. There were a few noticeable changes. Many retail spaces were empty, perhaps as a result of work from home since Covid-19. While I had always seen a lot of bikes downtown, this time I saw far fewer but lots of electric skooters, with rental sites on the sidewalk everywhere. I guess it's one way to cut down on the risk of bike theft. The average locked-up bicycle in San Francisco seems to use a lock as heavy as you would see on a motorcycle in Japan...

I did a perambulatory test. It feels strange to use RwGPS without headgear; so for the first time in years, I donned my Akubra "Squatter" hat. At a zebra crossing, I happened to notice a fellow riding a bike with bar mitts; he probably noticed some idjit wearing a giant hat; we exchanged courtesies.

@Kangaeroo , I suppose it's presumptuous of a pommy bastard to wear a "Squatter" hat; I apologize. (I was unembarrassed; just grateful it wasn't windy.)
You Pommy bastards are all squatters anyway, so if the hat fits, wear it, I reckon!

Back
Top Bottom